Where is the starwheel adjustment? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Performance Parts Discussion
89-93 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 1st Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Where is the starwheel adjustment?

Where is the adjustment for the star wheel? Do i have to open up the whole pump or can i get to it from the exterior, pics would be great, thanks in advance guys. Sorry for the question but i couldn't get the info i wanted in the search
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

on the top of your injection pump there will be 4 allen head screws. pull all of them out. if its a virgin pump it might take a little convincing to get them broke loose. on the back side of the pump there will be a line with a banjo bolt. cant remember what size it is but you will have to pull that out to. after that you can pull the top of the pump off. you will see a black diaphram, well thats what i call it anyways. you will have to pull that out. it might need a little convincing also to get it out. i know mine did. when you get that pulled out you will see a pin and a spring on the bottom of the diaphram. that is your fuel pin. if you look down inside the pump you will see a cog wheel. get a small flat head screwdriver and turn it cw but just keep count of how many turns you do that way if you want to put it back to stock you can. thats how you adjust the starwheel. when you go to put the fuel pin back in if you look at it you will see that on the cone part one side is steeper than the other. set that pin down in the pump so that the steeper side is facing towards the back of the truck. that will give you an extra little umph also. hope that helps a little bit. i dont have any pictures on hand.
01 2500 QCSB 4x4 - NV4500 Swap, 3600# SD from Kenny's, Quadzilla ADR 4k, 150HP Jammer Nozzles, RSD 4" Down Pipe-5" Straight Pipe, AEM CAI, Raptor 150, Big Line Kit Tank to VP, Leveled, Recon Smoked Cab Lights (110# Springs, HD Rods, Head Studs, in the works)
1stgen3rdgendodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stgen3rdgendodge For This Useful Post:
conway_3113 (09-15-2009)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump this should help with all adjustments.. helped me!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

much apprectiated, so its not too difficult i take it?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

na its not bad at all. the first time i went to do it i was worried cause of never having done it before. but its actually very easy. im ording a 4k govenor spring the end of this month and it sounds simple to do but since ive never done it before once again im a little worried lol. it is simple though. when you go to put the top back on though do the banjo bolt first other weise you will have a hell of a time trying to get it in cause it wont want to go in straight.
01 2500 QCSB 4x4 - NV4500 Swap, 3600# SD from Kenny's, Quadzilla ADR 4k, 150HP Jammer Nozzles, RSD 4" Down Pipe-5" Straight Pipe, AEM CAI, Raptor 150, Big Line Kit Tank to VP, Leveled, Recon Smoked Cab Lights (110# Springs, HD Rods, Head Studs, in the works)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

instead of adjusting starwheel just take out the spring inside the afc. it does the same thing
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

so what would be a good start for an adjustment? 1 full turn? maybe 2?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

it will only turn so far. idk how many turns it is. all it does is let the fuel pin go all the way down. if you take out your spring or turn the starwheel i would suggest turning your fuel pin bout 120 degrees or gring it down realllly deep to get max power. i did it and it woke my truck up!
The Following User Says Thank You to grizzly_man07 For This Useful Post:
conway_3113 (09-15-2009)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

well i had pulled my pin out but have decided to put it back in so i just bottomed that wheel out. not sure if im gonna grind my pin or just buy one yet. probably better off buying one
Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Would you be gaining or losing mpg by turning the star wheel up from the stock position??
cummings crazy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_man07 View Post
instead of adjusting starwheel just take out the spring inside the afc. it does the same thing
If you want to smoke do this. If you want to tune it for performance and less smoke don't. My starwheel use to sit at the bottom when I first started screwing with it. I got more smoke and my turbo took longer to spool since it just gives it to much fuel to quick. I put the starwheel almost all the way to the top now and way better now. The turbo spools quicker giving my truck better response than before and still blows out way to much smoke but better than sinking the starwheel. It is there to keep your fuel pin to delay fueling depending on how it is set. Using the ramp your fuel pin has matters in my opinion without the spring it fill fuel to hard at first instead of gradually going up the ramp and adding fuel in the process. A little less fuel on take off can help with controlling your turbo spool to a point. This is my opinion that I learned by tinkering with my truck and reading what other people have found to work best.

Last edited by 92betsy; 08-21-2011 at 10:03 AM.
92betsy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well I have a 99 dodge 2500 sport and I'm only getting 15 mpg and it don't smoke at all and I want it to smoke. I just don't wanna lose any more mpg
cummings crazy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.