Door Hinges - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Door Hinges

It looks easy enough to get the door hinges and bushings out on my 1993 Ram, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to put another brass bushing in there without just mushing it up?

I see those pin/brass bushing kits they sell and they're cheap, making it a good simple upgrade to the truck, and I took a pin and brass bushing out of a hinge in a junkyard, just not sure how I could hammer a busing in, doubt it would work that wya.
metriccar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,347 Times in 1,094 Posts
I have installed the brass bushings in with a hammer. Buy an extra set. You will probably crack one or 2 bushings. Go gently. You are trying to drive them in not force them in. The real key is driving them in perfectly straight. An angle will take a bushing away.

You do not need or want a heavy hammer. There is also a special bushing install tool. It has a machined down neck where the middle fits almost perfectly and the next step sits above the bushing. That makes it much harder to crack a bushing. I expect the tool would cost much more than the extra bushings would.

This gives you an idea of what that tool looks like.
Door Hinge Bushing Removal and Installation Tool

As I said, I have installed bushings before without a tool. Just expect one or 2 bushings to break. My local carquest auto body supply shop sells the bushings individually. That could be cheaper or more expensive compared to buying a kit.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

A bolt, a washer a nut and a socket slightly larger than the bushing. Put the bolt thought the bushing, place bushing in hole, put socket on other side, install nut and tighten slowly.
dparker (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I just used a small hammer to drive them in. On the hinges I noted to holes, the bushing slid in with no resistance, and were easy to turn by hand. I used some vice grips to squeeze an indention to tighten up the bushing fitment, rather than buy new hinges.
rrgrassi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

once you have replaced them , apply used motor oil, itll save them from wearing out again
Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I just did this on the driver side and it was very easy and the door opens and shuts a lot smoother, preventing wear on the latch and door panel by pulling too hard.

I'll give the steps incase anyone was thinking of doing it.

1) Scribe where the door hinges sit on the door so when you take them off you can put them in the exact same spot.
2) Take long chisel to bottom of bottom door hinge pin and hammer pin out.
3) Remove the bottom door hinge part that bolts onto the door and take the 2 bushing out. I used a screwdriver and hammer.
4) Get something such as a table that sits at the same height as the door and prop the door open and set it on the table
5) Unbolt the 2 bolts where the top door hinge bolts to the door.
6) drive the top pin out and remove the door hinge
7) Take the top bushings out. I was able to take a straight slot screwdriver and pry them out by prying around where the bushing has the cut in it.
8) install new bushings in top hinge.
9) Put the top door hinge back on and drive the pin in.
10) Then bolt the top door hinge to the door.
11) Do the same for the bottom hinge

Notes: Power door locks/windows and had a bunch of wires going to my door that were long enough to just set my door on the rubber rub rail on the body. If you don't have that rub rail you may want to take the door completely off so you don't scratch anything.

The Doorman bushings I got did not need to be pressed in, they just sat in there.

All in all a very simple job, and inexpensive fix.

Now I just need to work on taking my windshield out to put the new dash in.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The dash will come out without removing the windshield.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

How? there's bolts underneath the window rubber that I can't get to.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If I remembered correctly a universal joint or wobble extension would reach them. It has been a lot of years though and I might be remembering wrong.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
to remove dash you have too cut windshield rubber around bolt's on dash I want too say there are 7 screw's 5/16 head
2008 QCLB sold 2011 cclb Sold 2013 Durango new ride RIP Speedy the 67 vw died a very hot Death 5-17-2010 New toy 1985 crewcab longbed 4x4 conversion with a 93 cummin's and built 518 auto ,hx35 with a 12 wg housing ,366 spring and fuel pin .along with Boost and Pyro gauges and Tach .
simplysmn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.