Help! Bad battery cables??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Help! Bad battery cables???

I need some help please!

Previous owner made crappy 2/0 gauge battery cables. Both are shot and the truck won't start now. I am putting some pre-made generic 4' cables in and dealing with all of the mess of little cables on the positive side. I'd prefer to replace it with factory-style wiring if possible but anything was better than what he did
  • Someone please post a photo of the stock cables mounted, as it comes from the factory.
  • Does anyone know the part number and price for new replacement Dodge cables, if they are still available?
coleman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Check e-buy Occasionally there are 1st gens being parted out...

Saw one listed as 'Under hood wiring' Looked like a rats nest, but I'll bet it had what you need. OH - only $25...
LONG GONE '93 D250 Auto CC HX-40 60/65/17 w/hx50 flange - hit 57 held 55 psi OOPS => 6x16's <=, PS IC, CoolerTubz, 366 spring w/2 turn clipped, power screw bottomed-backed off 1 1/2 turn, M2 power pin, smoke screw fully out, custom AFC spring, modified top to get pin higher, '94 built trans - clutches and some hard parts, trans cooler under bed in front of rear wheel, 4510 w/4 1/2" intake and heat shield, htr grids MIA, 4" dp -> 5" pipe -> 5" Stack, 285's rear 265's front 2011 Long Bed Crew 3500 w/6 Alcoas
unixcowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I couldn't find that ad you referred to despite my best efforts, do you have a link?

I'd like a photo of the battery cables at the battery end if someone has one.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Thanked 1,370 Times in 1,133 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Here you go.

2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Philip is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

try
Wholesale Mopar
cotto1980 (05-22-2012)
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Excellent! Thanks for that. I replaced the battery cables with some generic ones until I can get some replacement Dodge ones. Shortly after I had those in I found the battery was also dead (hah). I replaced the battery. Everything worked much better, for a bit...

This morning I started the engine, and the grid heater cycled much faster than it used to (1-2 seconds on, 1-2 seconds off, repeating steady). My voltmeter appears to be nonfunctional but I could notice the dimming of the interior courtesy lamps and the headlamps. When I was driving down the interstate, the headlamps continued to cycle just the same - except after a while the headlights dimmed and just started to get dimmer and dimmer.

The truck is parked at home while I drive my other car. It's such a simple wiring system so I suspect the problem is something equally simple, but could my grid heater be pulling the voltage down like this? Should I hear a sound like a large capacitor charging when I turn the key? What is the control mechanism for the grid heater, a thermister or something similarly simple? I need a wiring diagram, is it something I should seek from Dodge, Cummins, Chilton book, etc?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Coleman, where are you located ?
I disconnected my grids back in Jan - and we've had 'some chilly days' here since then.
I've got the grids out - just a big aluminum hole straight into the intake.
I plug in the truck at night and it never fails to start, During the day it has never turned over more than 4 - 5 cylinders before firing..
You're right - the grid heaters DO draw a lot of current. My voltmeter dropped from 12v to 8 or less when they turned on...
At the firewall end of the intake manifold is a temp sensor. Don't know the temp it's set for but that's what turns the grids on. You could pull the connector out and that should stop the grids from cycling.
LONG GONE '93 D250 Auto CC HX-40 60/65/17 w/hx50 flange - hit 57 held 55 psi OOPS => 6x16's <=, PS IC, CoolerTubz, 366 spring w/2 turn clipped, power screw bottomed-backed off 1 1/2 turn, M2 power pin, smoke screw fully out, custom AFC spring, modified top to get pin higher, '94 built trans - clutches and some hard parts, trans cooler under bed in front of rear wheel, 4510 w/4 1/2" intake and heat shield, htr grids MIA, 4" dp -> 5" pipe -> 5" Stack, 285's rear 265's front 2011 Long Bed Crew 3500 w/6 Alcoas
unixcowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

You have an 89 truck. I would be checking the voltage regulator. It is a external unit mounted on the fire wall.

Dodge doesn't sell the FSM for our trucks anymore. Geno's garage does.
2014/93 W350 DRW, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, Super HX40/16, G56 SBC Con-OFE, 3:07's axles, 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I was thinking about my wiring, and it might be as simple as my attempting to both be thorough as well as quick with the repair. I crimped on the connector pretty good for the larger of the black positive cables coming from the battery terminal. I'd assume this is the primary lead to the current loads like the heater grid, headlights, etc. I'm really hoping I just goofed and need to revise my crimp with a proper solder sweat-joint that I didn't have time to do before. No problems until I started driving so I think it's possible the connection inside the crimp failed.

Previous owner put in a new charging system just before I bought it. I think he remembered the voltage regulator but I'll check that.

Looks like I have to update my profile, I thought it said. I am in Charlottesville, VA. We seldom see below 25F so I am sure it would be fine for the engine if I removed the heater grid. I am also considering removing the fuel filter heater to rid of the quad ring's leaky design, then boxing up the parts (in case I or someone else in the future own the truck up north).
Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

Quote:
Previous owner put in a new charging system just before I bought it.
Yea and were they Autozone parts???

Don't take it for granted they were good parts he installed.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Yea and were they Autozone parts???

Don't take it for granted they were good parts he installed.
Yeah, but I'm not going to assume it's crap either! I've had fine luck with Autozone on my other cars. My truck does get the real thing though. Cummins or Dodge parts so I know just who I need to go yell at when I screw something up

I ordered the Cummins #3925954 fuel filter stud to remove the fuel heater (I'm boxing up the original parts for later) and I might go and make a little grid-heater-delete box on the mill (and box up those original parts, too). I'm out of town for the week but I think this weekend I'm going to try and re-crimp the wires then sweat them, and get the Mopar cables in the mail.

That Wholesale Mopar site lists 90-93 for the cables. My cables looked identical to Philip's cables (although his are without the 'repairs' mine had). Does anyone know if they are the same as my '89 cables?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
1ST GEN MODERATOR

If your cables looked like mine then they should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.