cracked frame.... fix or sell? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
cracked frame.... fix or sell?

im so pissed! i just bought this truck for 3000$ and give the guy my old beater ford with 6.9 diesel for parts. dude totally lied to me about the truck. i knew it needed wiring work in the cab for the dash, parking break cable, tranny leaks alittle ect. yesterday i noticed a crack on the frame near the front shock mount! this morning i went to afew welders and no one will touch it dew to the liability... i have a buddy with a welder that will do it for free.... but i dont know if thats inspectible in vt or not. and or if the crack will get worse after its welded? other than that the truck runs and drives strong and has next to no rust. the rest is in my signature. should i fix it for sell it as is for parts? if i sell it what would i reasonably get for it so its fair for both partys? id part it out myself but i need a truck for work daily.... and dont have the cash for a 2nd truck... what do i do???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Well if you want to keep the truck I recommend to remove as much of what ever is in the way for the best weld possible like the fender/inner fender, when you weld it drill a few 3/4 to 1" holes around it and at the end of the crack if possible, a plate on the inside of the frame and plug weld the plate to the frame, don't weld the plate at the ends and make sure the crack is v grooved almost to the other side and build it up as you go. The cleaner the weld the better strength. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

yeah thats mostly my plan... im thinking about selling my chipper to maybe pay for a new truck. and use this thing for parts... i dont know. if i do end up having it welded the frame has 0 rust. i think the crack is from plowing snow. its going to be hard to patch it its under the shock mount. i would have to drill holes in the patch for the mount bolts then weld it.... this situation sucks...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

if it was mine i would drill out the pop rivits on the mount remove it weld the crack grind it smooth take a 1/4" plate around 4" by 4" drill holes to line up with the shock mount put it on the inside of the frame bolt it all togather then weld the plate to the inside of the frame that shock mount would now be stronger then any other shock mount on the truck
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
ROLLIN SMOKE DIESEL

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,966 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
fish plate it. grind the weld out and weld from both sides if possible, then cap the weld with a plate. make sure the plate doesn't have 4 corners, 45 them if possible. weld the plate all the way around.

Feel free to email me for quotes: duke@rollinsmokediesel.com

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST, online ordering 24/7
Broke Down is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Frame cracks are not as big of a deal as you're making it seem. Just fix it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

im having my 2 friends help me fix it. one is a welder and one is a mechanic. once i got the shock mount off i got a good look at the crack its not just a cracked frame its a broken frame. the crack was a hair from being cracked all the way through the frame. the other side has a hairline crack that i am going to patch up too. thanks for the advice! hope i get this all done soon so i can get back to work!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Before you do a THING, find out what your Motor Vehicle Inspection people think about it.
Give them a theoretical situtation, say you want to buy a truck you're interested in, but it has this crack (take pics to them of the crack and general area).
Ask them what would be the proper way to fix it according to their standards.
You might also ask them the procedural red tape to rolling a replacement frame under it.

I had a guy from some website wanting to circumvent inspections in Maryland, where he shortened a frame, BEFORE he knew it wasn't allowed (possibly done incorrectly?), then tried to get me to sell him a VIN from a model year of vehicle that was exempt from inspections.
I absolutely positively will NOT do anything like that.

Cut and dried, know what you're getting into BEFORE you reach a point where Johnny Law wants to take it away.

Mark.
Mark Nixon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Can u post a pic so everyone can give there input on how bad it is ?
1993 d/w250 LE 5 speed & 4x4 conversion- s300, 4in custom exhaust, M&H timing spacer, BHAF, Denny T Pump top, Ptroke Coolertubz, 99 Pstroke intercooler, 366 spring, SDX 5x14's (140's) airdog 150gph, 3 piece manifold, pump tuned up and KDP tabbed
rebeldodge1993 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.