fuel shutoff solenoid - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
fuel shutoff solenoid

where can i get one for my 92 d250 mine recently kicked the bucket and shutting the truck off by hand sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Volkswagon
Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

same thing happened to me i just had to becam e part of the pull cable club
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

try looking for one for the old school volkswagen diesels. They used a 4cyl VE pump with the same solenoid.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

if it broke once because of a turned up pump wont it do it again? mine started crappin on me today so looks like i got somethin to do tomorrow. im just gonna put a pull cable on it
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_man07 View Post
if it broke once because of a turned up pump wont it do it again?
Yes.

Oddly, the only way around it is to install larger injectors to relieve the increased internal IP pressures associated with turning the fuel screw up. Said pressures are what tears the shut-off solenoid's plunger.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

hmmm that does make alot of sense because its directly related to the 366 spring and denny t pin i just put in. Figures lol.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Now does anyone know of a performance solenoid on the market or am i stuck until i get new injectors?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If you're going to get a new solenoid -
try this first .......

Tear off the rubber tip completely - down to metal...
IF you are lucky enough to have a plunger that does NOT have a hole through it then make sure ALL the rubber is removed from the plunger and re-install it into the solenoid and put the solenoid back into the pump...

I know it sound crazy - but some of the solenoids had hole through them and some didn't. When mine went out at S.O.P. #6 last year they pulled the rubber completely off and since mine did not have a hole through it they re-installed to FSS....
Hasn't failed yet.

OF course this spring I got larger sticks and now it doesn't matter anyhow
LONG GONE '93 D250 Auto CC HX-40 60/65/17 w/hx50 flange - hit 57 held 55 psi OOPS => 6x16's <=, PS IC, CoolerTubz, 366 spring w/2 turn clipped, power screw bottomed-backed off 1 1/2 turn, M2 power pin, smoke screw fully out, custom AFC spring, modified top to get pin higher, '94 built trans - clutches and some hard parts, trans cooler under bed in front of rear wheel, 4510 w/4 1/2" intake and heat shield, htr grids MIA, 4" dp -> 5" pipe -> 5" Stack, 285's rear 265's front 2011 Long Bed Crew 3500 w/6 Alcoas
unixcowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too, have recently joined the cable club. I'm a fan of the nylon string, myself. And to anyone, thanks for this thread, I finally was able to determine the cause of the failed solenoid, and that it really is a failed solenoid. however, does anyone know how to remove said solenoid? I can't get any wrenches or anything in there to unscrew it and all I can think to do is buy some cheap wrenches and grind them down. Is there a special tool or do I have to pull a bunch of stuff off first? I'm a new diesel owner and I don't want to just dig into that injector pump and accidentally remove something sensitive or in the wrong order. Thanks.
1stgenjohnny is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I got mine off with a crescent wrench at a very steep angle. It actually twisted loose fairly easy. I was worried I couldn't torque it tight when I put it back but no leaks so far!
1stgenjohnny (01-20-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Will a torn plunger let a motor stall between shifts? If I lay into the fuel hard then let off i can consistently stall my motor. If it isn't this "plunger" then i'm possibly due for a VE pump rebuild!
Curleyman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.