external voltage regulator write up? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
external voltage regulator write up?

well think that junk pcm took a crap. ive searched all night and day trying to find a write up on how to by pass the one in the computer to one that mounts on the firewall. already bought the advanced auto special.

problems im having: first started about a month ago the battery kept gaining and losing voltage, have to hook it up to the battery charger every day. it seems after i start it, shut it off, and start again it will sometimes stay charged with out popstarting it everywhere i go.

then tonight i had it hooked up to the battery charger and started it up and left the charger hooked up so my grid heater could get all the power it needed (the light and relay tick for a good 15-20 mins at all times) well i turned my parking lights on and went inside till it warmed up. i came out and the lights were off so i checked the fuse it was blown. i put four fuses in it and it kept blowing so i jumped to 40 amp fuse and they would stay bright for like 2 secs and go dim but stay on i checked for burning wires and all that stuff but no sign. well after that i played with the light switch for a couple mins and now they seem to work fine.

im writing such a long write up so i could narrow it down and get it straightened out ounce for all. sorry

and this all started when it got cold out and when i took my intake horn and grid heater off too polish but i hooked it up the same way i took it off.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks and have a carefull night
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Converting to an old style voltage regulator ('92 and '93 only) from DTR

FAQ

Also i found this entire thread extremly usefull for anyone with a first gen.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...t-t102027.html
96. NV4500 Swap. 1 3/8" Input. Upgraded Hydros. Valair Street Dual. KDP Tabbed. ISSPRO. AirDog DF-200. Hellmann Sump. BHAF. 8" Miter. No Plate. 60lb. Springs. 4k GSK. .022" DVs. .120 Holders. Pump Tuned. 17* timing...
Diesel_Addiction is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Addiction For This Useful Post:
CUMMINS7 (02-09-2010)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

well went out and got 4 of them headlight switches that was a big fail luckily they were free. and now the harness that plugs into the switch burnt up but just one wire was bad. i talked to a couple of my buddies around here and they say its common to go threw them all the time. and advanced wants 75 dollars for a plastic piece with 8 some odd wires. is there any way to rig some thing up so it dont do this everytime it snows?

as of now:
no parking lights
no gauge lights
smoke from the dash
if i turn my pking lights on my truck shuts off
no turn signals
no brake lights
no hazzard lights
battery goes dead in about 15 minutes
no radio

i am really close to go trading it for a V3 triton geo metro and setting this turd on fire and push it off a cliff.

Last edited by CUMMINS7; 02-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.
CUMMINS7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMINS7 View Post
well went out and got 4 of them headlight switches that was a big fail luckily they were free. and now the harness that plugs into the switch burnt up but just one wire was bad. i talked to a couple of my buddies around here and they say its common to go threw them all the time. and advanced wants 75 dollars for a plastic piece with 8 some odd wires. is there any way to rig some thing up so it dont do this everytime it snows?

as of now:
no parking lights
no gauge lights
smoke from the dash
if i turn my pking lights on my truck shuts off
no turn signals
no brake lights
no hazzard lights
battery goes dead in about 15 minutes
no radio

i am really close to go trading it for a V3 triton geo metro and setting this turd on fire and push it off a cliff.
Just before you push it over that cliff - PM me - I want to be at the bottom to catch it
LONG GONE '93 D250 Auto CC HX-40 60/65/17 w/hx50 flange - hit 57 held 55 psi OOPS => 6x16's <=, PS IC, CoolerTubz, 366 spring w/2 turn clipped, power screw bottomed-backed off 1 1/2 turn, M2 power pin, smoke screw fully out, custom AFC spring, modified top to get pin higher, '94 built trans - clutches and some hard parts, trans cooler under bed in front of rear wheel, 4510 w/4 1/2" intake and heat shield, htr grids MIA, 4" dp -> 5" pipe -> 5" Stack, 285's rear 265's front 2011 Long Bed Crew 3500 w/6 Alcoas
unixcowboy is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

it was just pushed over you might have enough time to save it found the biggest cliff i could find lol just kidding i got on e-bay and checked out a bada$$ machine. so i think i might keep it haha, but check out this truck on ebay its under ram 3500 89-93 its blue and white dually with 38s freshly rebuilt
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

followed all the directions on that tdr FAQ forum but still no charge does somebody have a more detailed write up please help im at advanced in the middle of the parking lot off my cell phone
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...w-89-02-a.html

Heres a how to off this forum for a Ford VR and an older Dodge VR
Old 02-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

can i get some bumps on this my truck is still sitting at advanced i put a new optima battery $245 a new alternator $200 3 voltage regulators $45 new terminals $45 all new fuses and relays $50. i noticed i can get it to charge if i take them two wires off the post of the alternator and hook one to ground and the other to a 12 v source it will charge but it goes up to 16 or 17 volts and that aint good it goes up when i get on the throttle.

i hooked it up just the way it shows on all the fourums but it stays at a low 12 instead of a low 14 and thats not hooking it up to the regulator nothin happens or changes when i hook it to the regulator. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I HAVE NO WAY TO WORK AND MY TRUCKS AT ADVANCED AUTO PARTS. I HAVE 13 DOLLARS LEFT ON MY CARD I GOT TO MAKE IT LAST SO PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IVE CALLED AROUND AND ASKED ALL THE EMPLOYEES BUT THEY SAID THEY NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also the relay i got was made for my truck thats what i dont understand if its suppose to be internal. its for a 1992 Dodge W-250 with the 5.9L Diesel and they give me the same one every time. am i getting the wrong one by any chance nobody gives part #s and its a single battery. i cut all the wires for the alternator going to the pcm and ran all new. i have a good ground and still nothin. but now instead of keeping a charge at 12 volts it goes straight to nothing. BUMP
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I wish I could help but I am in the same boat... the only answer I have gotten out of anyone is to change the VR or grounds.... I have ohm'd wires out to the N'th degree and I am still overcharging at 16 Volts... I have found a post where someone fixed his back in July of last but I havent had a chance because of all the snow but I will be trying it tomorow... here is his fix and here is the link to that post, I hope it helps you out... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ne...eply&p=1777988

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
Figured out my problem. I decided to double check my IGNITION HOT wire. When i turn my ignition on, i am getting 12volts out of that wire like i should..... However, for some reason i decided to double check the Voltage Regulator since it was my 4th one and i was also running out of ideas. So connecting the hot from the POS battery made my voltage run steady at 14.50 ...

So the wire that i was using is obviously causes my voltage regulator to jump from 14.90 to 16 every 2 seconds. So that is not a good power source, why its doing that i don't know. (It stays steady when wire being tested) Anyways, the wire i was using (if you have a 12vavle engine) i was using it off a spare 2 PIN clip that's empty and located right by the valve cover plate. It was the green wire.

Now that i figured out that its the wires fault (maybe has too many wires running through it) which possibly causing the regulator under power and makes it act up. (when not connected correctly, my fuse would blow inside the cab listed under "10amp ENGINE" .

So since problem is fixed, i am stuck again however. Where can i find a place to connect my new HOT wire? Obviously running it from POS will drain the battery over time. Where is a good source to get my power from on IGNITION on a 12vavle cummins? 94-98
Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovehunter79 View Post
Originally Posted by KnightOwl View Post
Figured out my problem. I decided to double check my IGNITION HOT wire. When i turn my ignition on, i am getting 12volts out of that wire like i should..... However, for some reason i decided to double check the Voltage Regulator since it was my 4th one and i was also running out of ideas. So connecting the hot from the POS battery made my voltage run steady at 14.50 ...

So the wire that i was using is obviously causes my voltage regulator to jump from 14.90 to 16 every 2 seconds. So that is not a good power source, why its doing that i don't know. (It stays steady when wire being tested) Anyways, the wire i was using (if you have a 12vavle engine) i was using it off a spare 2 PIN clip that's empty and located right by the valve cover plate. It was the green wire.

Now that i figured out that its the wires fault (maybe has too many wires running through it) which possibly causing the regulator under power and makes it act up. (when not connected correctly, my fuse would blow inside the cab listed under "10amp ENGINE" .

So since problem is fixed, i am stuck again however. Where can i find a place to connect my new HOT wire? Obviously running it from POS will drain the battery over time. Where is a good source to get my power from on IGNITION on a 12vavle cummins? 94-98
I tried this today and this fixed my overcharging issue... I was charging at 15.99 volts constantly, I took the power straight from the battery and it started charging at 14.77 volts consistently... I wired in a $6 relay and now everything is perfect!!!!! Hope this helps!!!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.