Gelling while driving... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gelling while driving...

Well I had a first time experience the other day... For the first time in 10 years of owning various diesels (first CTD), my truck started to gel up while I was driving...

It was below 0 in the a.m. when I started it... It started fine and ran fine for the first 2-3 miles, then started to lose power... Once I got off work the temps had come above 15* and the truck ran fine.

So what are you guys doing to prevent gelling when driving?
"lightly modified" 85 Crew Cab: 92 CTD, 6" lift, South Bend ConO clutch, ISSPRO gauges, 5x.014s, HTT 62/65/13, ported, studded and o-ringed, 4" turbo back, piston lift pump, M2 fuel pin, M&H timing spacer, pump turned up, 3200 RPM governor...
freak007 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Location: somewhere between ND and TX, but land in UT when im home
Power service......works great, that or howes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yep on both. had a 2 week stretch of negative temps. Put that goop in and no problems.
1993 W250; 60HP injectors, 366 Spring, Icebox Intake w/ S&B filter, 4" Str8 Pipe, AT w/ First-Stage Billet Converter, and 4.10 Gears. Isspro Gauges: Pyro, Tach, Boost, Tranny Temp. And of course, High-Beams on the floor!
Winkles is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

My son drives three diesel vehicles in Minnesota. They mandate a small percentage of bio-diesel there. Even a gallon of anti-gel did not prevent his Kenworth from gelling. He tries to fill up in a non-bio-diesel state but an accident as he was leaving Iowa blocked access to an off ramp and forced him to carry on and do a fill at home. Ouch.

His payloader and his semi gelled. He pulled both with his 98 cummins and even it was on the edge of gelling. He was lucky a neighbour had a shop big enough to put both units in. I think Minnesota should ease up on the bio-diesel in cold weather or somebody ought to formulate an anti-gel which works with bio-diesel.
Old 'n Rusty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

QUOTE=freak007;2574950]Well I had a first time experience the other day... For the first time in 10 years of owning various diesels (first CTD), my truck started to gel up while I was driving...

It was below 0 in the a.m. when I started it... It started fine and ran fine for the first 2-3 miles, then started to lose power... Once I got off work the temps had come above 15* and the truck ran fine.

So what are you guys doing to prevent gelling when driving?[/QUOTE]

put some diesel additive in it. we run it in all of our tractors and my dad's dmax *gags* cant change my dad's opinion
diesel drinker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I run 50/50 1 and 2 with a mix of PS, MMO, and motor oil.
I also have fuel heaters.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.