Soft Spongy Brake Pedal - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Soft Spongy Brake Pedal

Not sure if my sig. is updated......1993 W350 Cummins

3 months ago i had a brake problem. The right rear would lock up when i depressed the brake problem. I took the truck to my local mechanic and he replaced the rear shoes and a broken parking brake cable. This solved the problem but i ended up with a soft spongy pedal. I called the mechanic and he said that in a few weeks the rear brakes would adjust. Well they didnt and i took the truck back in...........a week later i got it back and they now replaced a "proportioning valve" and claimed the pedal is better. Well, its not!

Not sure what to do. I dont really wanna go back to the same mechanic. I bled the front but im not sure how to access the rears.............a local autozone told me that i need a new booster and might as well get a new master cylinder while im at it.

What do you guys think?
sampap is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

A lot of 'sponginess' comes from the failure of one or both of the rear brake adjusters to work properly. I have replaced one of mine. The sharp, knife-like edge on the adjuster gets dull and just slides over the adjuster wheel without doing anything. When my brakes get feeling spongy and the pedal goes low, I adjust the one I have not yet replaced and the pedal becomes firm again. Sometimes too firm, if I have over-adjusted. I suspect that you could just remove and regrind the adjuster. Your problem is really common on these trucks because of the number of miles they rack up. If you don't want to bother tearing the brakes apart, buy a white paint marker pen and mark the backing plate with an arrow to indicate which direction you have to turn the adjuster. You will be adjusting them every three or four months and trying to guess which way they have to be turned is a major pain in the you know what. It takes a lot of turns to bring the brakes up properly and it is frustrating to keep on going and then discover you have been turning the adjuster the wrong way. Thanks for reminding me I need to change the adjuster mechanism on the other wheel. I must remember it when warm weather returns.
Old 'n Rusty is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old 'n Rusty For This Useful Post:
92Thumper (07-29-2010), sampap (12-21-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Your ABS hydraulic unit may be leaking into the accumulator also. When that happens, your pumping brake fluid against a spring loaded piston.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Left out in the cold For This Useful Post:
sampap (12-21-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

how do i adjust the rear brakes? can it be done from the back side of the drum or do i have to take the drum off ? I have had the wheels off the back axle but never went any further. On my half ton pickup the drums just pop off but this 3/4 ton it looks like there is something that holds the drums on.
sampap is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left out in the cold View Post
Your ABS hydraulic unit may be leaking into the accumulator also. When that happens, your pumping brake fluid against a spring loaded piston.
I have heard that you can take apart the ABS unit and clean it out. Has anyone tried this before?
cell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

On the adjusting issue, like most drum brakes there is a slot in the back of the backing plate.

It is usually covered by a rubber plug. If you use a light you can usually see both the star adjuster wheel and the threaded part the adjuster uses to expand or contract the brake shoes. The only reason to pull the drum is to replace parts.

I know nothing about the abs business because my early production truck does not have abs.
Old 'n Rusty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.