First gen dual batteries? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 1st Gen. Dodge Cummins 89-93 12V Forums > 89-93 Non-Powertrain
89-93 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 1st Gen. Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
First gen dual batteries?

Has anyone put a second battery in their first gen to help with cold starting? I wired in a second one a couple of years ago, but they seem to be giving me more trouble than its worth. Batteries getting hot, grounding problems, lights dimming and brightening with the alternator. Has anyone else had these problems, or does anyone have any ideas.
Beefstick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

the lights dimming is probably the grid heaters cycling while its cold. i have a buddy at nashville auto diesel college and they just studied electricity. the instructor told him you can hook up a battery in a parallel circuit and double the cranking amps but stay at 12v. if you hook them up in series it doubles volts and keeps same cranking amps. parallel is positive to positive and series is positive to negative. i was thanking about trying it myself. whta kind of problems were you having ?
Sold: 1991 W250 5 Speed metallic blue. 3200 gov spring, pump maxed, M&H M3 fuel pin, timing bump, dipricol gauges, 4 inch Diamond eye, s300 and 6X16s and airdog 150.18" moto metal 955's, dual-disk, coolertubz.
GeneralC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

sounds like a voltage regulator issue...

fill out your signature so we know what truck you have... User CP > edit signature
Old 12-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I would just rather use a Quality oversize single
Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Mine had a single battery as stock, but I've got a heavy truck battery with steel posts (takes lead post adaptors) and something like 1300 CCA. Never any doubt about starting anyhow with this engine, but never know when a REAL cold start may be necessary. ...
Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The lights dim while its running at an idle, and every once in a while my blinker will make my dash lights and radio flicker.
denman, what make is the heavy truck battery you use?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I got a good quality group 31, no problems starting even after running a camper for the better part of the week, including running the electric boat motor.

But...you should figure out any possible wiring issues before blaming the batteries 100%.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralC View Post
the lights dimming is probably the grid heaters cycling while its cold. i have a buddy at nashville auto diesel college and they just studied electricity. the instructor told him you can hook up a battery in a parallel circuit and double the cranking amps but stay at 12v. if you hook them up in series it doubles volts and keeps same cranking amps. parallel is positive to positive and series is positive to negative. i was thanking about trying it myself. whta kind of problems were you having ?
Are you sure about that? To the best of my knowledge, if you hook them in parellel (pos to pos), that would make it a 24v system?

91 W250 LE ~235k miles, 727, 3.07's w/limited slip rear
440trk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

click ->Connecting Batteries in Series or Parallel
Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

thats what it says in my buddies handbook at school to about connecting batteries. it was purty neat actually reading all about it. but yes im positive that connecting parallel keeps 12voltage and doubles cranking amps
Sold: 1991 W250 5 Speed metallic blue. 3200 gov spring, pump maxed, M&H M3 fuel pin, timing bump, dipricol gauges, 4 inch Diamond eye, s300 and 6X16s and airdog 150.18" moto metal 955's, dual-disk, coolertubz.

Last edited by GeneralC; 12-03-2009 at 12:14 AM.
GeneralC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

You want your batteries in parallel to double amperage with the same voltage, series doubles the voltage with the same amperage.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

2nd on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstick View Post
You want your batteries in parallel to double amperage with the same voltage, series doubles the voltage with the same amperage.
2nd on that, parallel doubles amps, series doubles volts.
I got 4 batteries setup in parallel on my 12 volt solar system.

Check your grounds and other connections, having 2 batteries shouldn't case any more problems then having one.
Have you replaced altenator/volt regulator?
richard.bessey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.