Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Power Steering Leak -- Help!

17K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  daddyo4 
#1 ·
1991 W250. I've replaced the power steering pump, the pressure and return lines, and the steering box, and it still leaks! The best I can tell, it's coming out the top of the reservoir filler cap. Occasionally, when I shut down the truck, foamy power steering fluid pukes under pressure out of the reservoir. Other times, it just leaks. It's not overfilled and will continue to leak until the power steering fluid runs nearly out and I have to add more. I was thinking of drilling a hole in the cap and running a vent line to a catch bottle. Anybody have this power steering problem? If so, what'd you do to fix it? I'm running out of ideas.

#2 ·
Weird

I personally have never had that problem.

Have you tried different make/model power steering fluid? I believe power stearing is the same as hydraulic fluid ... ???

#6 ·
I'd go with the catch bottle idea until the solution presents itself. I really hate leaks under my truck, a left-over attitude from having been a junk driver all my life, ... until now, where what I have is old but not junk, and no leaks! ... :lol4:

#7 ·
I had that problem with my truck. The way I fixed It was, start the truck, take the cap off the resevoir, have someone work the stearing back and fourth as you add fluied. that should flush all the air out of the system. It worked for me, hope it works for you.

#8 ·
I am having the exact same problem with mine. It is a 91 as well. Also having a vacuum issue (lack of vacuum). Brakes a little unresponsive as well. The brake pedal was stiff but the new booster softened it up (still slow to grab). I still have no vacuum. Wonder if the PS,PB, & lack of vacuum are related?

#9 ·
Problem Solved!:party018:

The pump reservoir was cracked. The defective pump was still under warranty. Replaced it yesterday and no leak so far. Used a different power steering fluid (Lucas) too which hopefully will reduce oil foaming and spewing out the cap.

#12 ·
Yea, I got the four studs part whipped (although mine were bolts), but its the "two parts seperate" bit I cant master. So yours just fall apart? I cant PRY them apart! the housings seperate about a quarter-inch, but the drive gear and shaft from the vac pump wont let go of the PS pump.

#15 ·
There's an O-ring between the two components that will need to be replaced, about 4" circumference IIRC. It could be jamming crossways and preventing the parts from separating, so working it back and forth should force it to "roll" or self-destruct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.