Cummins Diesel Forum banner

On the hunt for a first gen!

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Catimann 
#1 ·
So I recently sold my second gen and would like to get back into a first gen. I am looking for a 5 speed four wheel drive model. I have always had a thing for first gens, and would love to be driving a first gen again. I have noticed though that first gens are priced ridiculously high, I have seen people asking 20k for trucks with 200k miles, and it is rare to find a truck that is even in remotely decent shape for less than 10k. whats up with that? Anyway hope I can find something in the not too distant future that I can pick up, wish me luck!

#2 ·
My truck is in what I would call above average shape, off frame resto. blah blah blah. 91.5 auto 220,000 miles. I would ask $15000 for mine if for some reason I were to sell it. The way that I look at it is the current truck market really sucks. What can I replace my truck with for $15,000 that is reliable? A 2007 Ram 1500 that is on its last leg? I think not. The reason why these trucks will hold steady in price or continue to rise is that they are an extinct vehicle, something that was truly made to last and simple enough that you can fix on the side of the road if you want.

Good luck with your search! The right one will come along eventually!

Reactions: mknittle
#3 ·
Thanks, I agree that its hard to find a comparably reliable truck for a similar price. I also agree that the simplicity is key to what makes these trucks desirable. Your case is rare from what I see, Most first gens I find have a lot of miles and definitely not frame off restos and want 10k +. I love first gens but also know that newer trucks have a lot to offer in there own right. However what I'm looking for at this point is dead reliability without stupid computer interference. The only thing that makes me want to look at newer trucks is the fact that first gens never came with four door versions. Thanks for the input!

#5 ·
I know they had crew cabs, but they are hard to find and expensive and usually beat up, then you have to find all the parts and I simply don't have the patience for such and undertaking. I do think it would be friggen sweet to have a crew cab first gen though.

#6 ·
Not all nut's are Planters/ Too good to be true

Been checking craigs list for 1st gen donors to repower the airstream , came across an ad, 93 dodge dually, extended cab, 3500 4x4, 12v cummins , second owner with 107k miles , asking 2000 $ , calls went unanswered all day , second day get a text to contact at an e-mail address followed by a psychobabble story about the husband dying , she leaving the country in two weeks , the sale to be handled by amazon bla, bla, replied that they are a psychopath and have heard no more , so my search go's on

#7 ·
Been checking craigs list for 1st gen donors to repower the airstream , came across an ad, 93 dodge dually, extended cab, 3500 4x4, 12v cummins , second owner with 107k miles , asking 2000 $ , calls went unanswered all day , second day get a text to contact at an e-mail address followed by a psychobabble story about the husband dying , she leaving the country in two weeks , the sale to be handled by amazon bla, bla, replied that they are a psychopath and have heard no more , so my search go's on

My dad told me when I was a kid, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Craigslist is full of these scams just like you're talking about. Flag em and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I have a standing offer of 16k for my truck if/should I decide to sell, he is in contact with me on a monthly basis.

my truck ...93 4x4 duelly conversion 3/4 ton, 161k, auto, no rust anywhere but on the front cab mounts,

you will pay some bucks for a 4x4 5 spd.

are they worth it.....no

are they bringing it....yes

I know it is flea-bay and may or may not be true, but go to compleated listings and see what some of them sell for.

Oh and I pulled a goosneck from SO IL to CT to get my truck.

#9 ·
16,000 would be hard to pass up for me. I've got a 93 ext cab 4x4 5 speed with 230k no rust. I know I wouldn't be able to replace the truck for that which makes it hard to let go, but 16 would almost make me do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Got a buddy with a clubcab 4x4 Auto Dually with 53,000 miles he's asking 20 for it super sweet truck .

#11 ·
Guy buy me just sold his 91 reg cab 3/4 ton 100k~ miles 4x4 5spd good condition for $6500 I thought that was right where it should be priced not 15...

Reactions: dshupe24
#12 ·
Guy down by me just SUCKERED a fool into 15,5 for a first gen that is Beat to Death and back but because he told the guy it didn't have any Rust the guy flew out from Ohio to buy it . Fool and his Money are soon separated .

Reactions: dshupe24
#13 ·
I just missed one that was on the local classifieds for 6500$ with 256k miles, it sold in less than 24 hrs!

#14 ·
I would Never pay that Much .just bought a 93 dually yes its rusty but 3000 isn't bad and it has 150 k on it 4x4 dually .

#15 ·
Unfortunately in my neck of the woods anything that is a 5 speed 4X4 that runs is apparently made of gold. Although it has been that way around here since at least 08.

#16 ·
Look OUT SIDE the BOX man don't be afraid to have it shipped . Honestautomovers.com does all my shipping and has treated me well for the last few yr's . Had a quote from MD to Ca for 1500 . shipped a crewcab dually to KS for 950 it's not as bad as you think and if you find something it's Most likely at a better price .

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'm too old school and paranoid to buy anything used sight unseen.

#18 ·
I understand that 1 .but just go with your Gut .most of the guy's selling these ole truck's Have been pretty Honest . Only ran into 1 Idiot from WYO. that claimed the truck had a 4000 mile new engine and when we got it turned out to be a 80,000 mile Junk engine .

#21 ·
Heck no Build the Auto and be Done . who wants to jack a clutch all darn day. NOT This Guy .

#22 ·
The key is to be patient. While the majority of people seem to think that they are worth their weight in gold, I do occasionally come across listings for first gens that are priced according to what they are, a 20+ year old truck (but a cool one at that!). Often times, the deals are on trucks owned by old timers rather than younger people or "diesel bros". My father and I were searching for the right first gen for 2-3 years and looked at a few before we stumbled across "the one" sitting in the back row of a local weekly used auto fair. This was in 2009 and it was a completely untouched 1993 W350 dually auto with only 69k and the previous owner wanted $8500 for it. Granted, in 2009 these were still looked at as old trucks rather than a desirable vehicle as they seem to be today, but the deals are out there. Look everywhere and be patient and the right one will reveal itself :party018:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.