Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1978 Crew Cab Build

25K views 139 replies 24 participants last post by  simplysmn 
#1 ·
I've been working on my crew cab for about 2 months now when I've had time. I've been meaning to start a build thread for a while so I'll get everything up to date today.

Here's how it sat when I picked it up. It had been sitting for around 7 years and the floor took a beating. After having a look at it I determined I'd only have to replace the front floor and i'd be on my way.

I got it home and gave it a good pressure wash

Started disassembling shortly after

Once the dash was removed I was able to have a closer look and realize the rust was worse than I thought. It had a bunch of pinholes along the front of the cab and also the cowls.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lucky for me Thrashingcows located an 89 w250 donor floor for me at the salvage yard. I hurried over there and cut away what I needed.

I also got it parked in the shop to start the real work

I got some front frame rails from a 4x4 (also from thrashincows :wink2:) and cut it out so I had 2 flat pieces to bolt onto my frame.

($20 later of cut of discs)

#3 ·
A couple days later I went back to the salvage yard and hammered off all the 4x4 parts I needed for the conversion. Took me 5 hours with a hammer and chisel (including breaks for whenever I mistook my hand for the chisel)
Cleaned up
And everything bolted on.

#5 ·
Next I got the cab removed so I could paint the floor and the frame. (just my dad and I got it removed.. I'll be asking for some more help when it goes back on:doh:)

And that's how it sits as of today.

#12 ·
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Great work so far! Just curious why you didn't box the frame in though? Not that it's absolutely necessary. But it isn't too late yet either. I know I would, especially seeing as you have everything apart.

Armchair quarterbacking your build :D what do you do for a living? Fine work there.
I've read a bit about boxing the frames on these old trucks but didn't think the benefits were needed for my use. Since they're designed to flex a bit and I'm not doing any extreme offroading I should be fine :) It's just going to be a work truck / daily driver.

I'm a tile installer so nothing to do with automotive work lol. This is all a learning experience for me since I have no background in the work I'm doing. Just taking my time and doing lots of research:party018:

#11 ·
Great work so far! Just curious why you didn't box the frame in though? Not that it's absolutely necessary. But it isn't too late yet either. I know I would, especially seeing as you have everything apart.

Armchair quarterbacking your build :D what do you do for a living? Fine work there.

#13 ·
Wish I was going to be around locally to help you out when needed....but I'm only a text away man. ;) You've done such a great job so far...very impressed!

#14 ·
You'll definitely be getting a few texts over the next couple of months ;) I appreciate the help so far.
I have your cab mounts on the frame still if you wanna pick them up before you leave. Or I can keep them stored until the next time you're down. Let me know :)

#15 ·
Haven't been able to spend much time in the shop the last week but I got a few things done.

Got a final coat of paint on the floors and frame,

got the axle out from under the frame,

burnt out the leaf spring bushings and sanded them down for paint
and stripped most of the inside roof paint.

#18 ·
Nice, I wish that I wouldn't have used Por15. Over priced crap. My master cylinder got a leak in it and it ran down on the frame, it ended up bubbling up the paint and peeling it off in some spots. Come to find out Por15's kryptonite is brake fluid. I'm glad to see that you went with something else. I'll research that product for future builds.

#23 ·
Got my order from LMC for window / door seals, engine mounts, cab mounts etc. Also picked up my carpet.

I had to fish a wire back to my cab roof light and noticed theres some kind of carpet underlayment between the roof panels? Is this normal? I thought it was just empty space in there.

#62 ·
Yeah Dan that is normal. There might even be a piece of cardboard like material in between those panels....nice insulation and sound deadening right.:wink2:

The build is looking great. My suggestion for paint would be to go to Canadian tire and check out their pre-mixed paints. They come already to spray....just mix them well, run them through a filter, and start spraying...no messing with hardeners, or reducers etc. They have 10-20 colours in stock.

Personally I think you should stay with a silver...solid or tu-tone.

#25 ·
Haven't been able to work on it much since family has been visiting for the past 3 weeks but I managed to get the leaf springs finished and pick up a set of seats from a 2008 Ram for $300

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.