Cummins Diesel Forum banner

D350 wheel centering/ vibration help

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  comotionman 
#1 ·
Can anybody give me the part number or what style lug nuts to use to center the wheels on my dually.also at 70-75ish the front end has a bad vibration. I'm hoping centering thw wheela will help but would an alignment help also?
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Alignment won't help on a vibration. Vibration is an out of balance situation, alignment points the wheels in the right directions and perpendicular to the road. Start with centering your rear wheels. Any nut with a concave face of the same thread size will do. Put two on to centre the wheels and tighten the rest. Have your front wheels balanced. Check for looseness in your front end. Looseness will exagerate any out of balance. Check for out of round tires and bent wheels.

Steve g

#3 ·
5/8-18 is the thread pattern, do some research and find the cheapest cone nut in that size localy. I walked into advanced and told them i needed 5/8-18 conical lug nuts, the kid couldn't figure out how to look them up and didnt know what a cone was.

#6 ·
if your using the original fixed flange lug nuts they need to be torqued to 325ft-lbs. if you still have the stock coined wheels they are hub centric on the rear end, so there is no need for the use of tapered nuts. since your d350 has no front wheel hub flange you will need to use two tapered nuts on each front wheel to ensure the wheel gets centered, I leave them on. when I was running stock lugs I torqued the two tapered lugs to 200ft-lbs which is the sae torque rating for grade 8 fasteners, studs are grade 10. now that I am running swivel washer lug nuts they all get torqued to 140ft-lbs. enjoy

#7 ·
As for 2 lug nuts for a 92 B 350 with single wheels and 4000lb front end. Many parts stores do ahev these in stock.

BTW the rear wheels are not hub centric either. The flange of the stock lugs has a small cone in it that is "supposed" to center the wheels ups, but using actual coned lugs is a better way.

#8 ·
don't be distracted by the coining or the lug nuts, using your reasoning the inner wheels could not be reliably centered....unless you want to argue that the coin to coin fit is somehow more precise than the lug to coin. if you have a dually or know somebody that does take some meaurements of the hub outside diameter and wheel hub bore and let me know your finding, then do the same on a 2nd gen dually. compare the tolerances. let me know if you find any appreciable difference. I have already performed this inspection. plenty of people are also running 2nd gen and 3rd gen wheels on the rear, how do you think they get away with it? the rears are hub centric. dodge screwed up on the front hubs on the 1stgen duallies by using gm spec hub od on w350 dually and not having a wheel centering hub flange whatsoever on the d350 dually.

#9 ·
Actually I do have a dually. I never said it was precise, but they do interlock and self center. On the rear it doesn't have to be that precise.

FWIW old IH duallys were the same setup.

The lack of precision is why this topic keeps coming up.

#10 · (Edited)
the problem lies solely on the front hubs. the rears are hub centric. if you take the time to take a close look at your truck I think you will have a better understanding of what's going on. forget about the coining and studs altogether and focus on the hubs and hub bore of the wheels. the only thing you need to worry about on the coins is that they are properly mated on the rear. you could grind the male coins flat and not have any problems. many have done just that and run them on inner rears and used an aftermarket aluminum wheel on the outer. the problem keeps coming up because few people understand what exactly the issue is and that's mainly because dodge never really provided full disclosure.and were vague in their descriptive contained in their tsb. likely due to fear of recall. as a result most people think all wheels require tapered lugs for proper centering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.