Cummins Diesel Forum banner

G56 Fluid Options??

23K views 61 replies 22 participants last post by  CumminsStroker 
#1 ·
I was wonder if their were any fluid options out their for the G56 that would help with gear rollover. I have recently replaced my clutch and of course removed the DMF and now get the dreaded gear rollover, and i know the aluminum tranny housing dosen't help, i would love some info, input or any advice that may help me with the tranny gear rollover noise...THANKS!!!!!!

#40 ·
yea its me guess my covers blown. I was alittle worried that the hub being a little loose on the clutch disc would cause vibration but it doesnt. The clutch kicks a$$ and im glad I could do biussnes with someone kinda local.I checked my tranny oil today after a 80 mile drive( checked as soon as I stoped with the engine still running) and there was NO foaming in the oil.Like some have seen with regular lucas oil additive.Oh yea the clutch is a LITTLE grabby but thats my only complant

#41 ·
ONe more thing out of every body that I've read bashing valair vary few had valair in there sig. YOU CANT BUY A SOLID HUB DUAL DISC AN EXPECT IT TO BE QUIET!! As of now I would recomend valair to any one.

#42 ·
i love my vailair im with kenworth :thumbsup:

kenworth how thick is the fluid after you mixed the atf and lucas?

is it lucas transmission fluid?

#43 ·
I used lucas synthetic oil sabilizer which is very sticky like the regular lucas that we all know but is much thinner I'd guess about like 50wieght oil. when I checked the mix for airiation engine still running after driving from dallas to canton on the intersate @70mph non stop( thank god for heat gloves)the oil was just alittle thicker than strait atf.I'm afriad to thicken up the oil to much.Next summer I may try richening the mix up a little.:stirpot:

#44 ·
which plug are you guys taking out to add the fluid to the tranny every plug I take out is holding something inside the tranny and I'm afraid that if I add fluid it might let something fall inside my tranny and be up doo doo creek without a paddle

#45 ·
i have a southbend 3600 dual disk. the chatter drove me nuts. i installed a fluidampr and replaced my tranny fluid with royal purple syncromax and poured an extra quart in from the top of the shift tower and it made a world of a difference. it goes into second and reverse much easier, the neutral chatter was almost completly eliminated and prob. cut down on overall noise by 30%. definetly worth the money in my opinion

#46 ·
so the only way to overfill this trans is through the shift tower? i thought that i had read in another thread that someone had taken out one of the plugs to overfill their trans. just hate to rip out the interior of the truck to overfill the trans one quart---but i guess i have to.

#49 ·
NOPE!!!
I removed the plug on the drivers side of the tranny, it takes a T60 torx. All seemed to work ok, its just a little pain to get the fluid in, i rigged up some hose and all went ok...Good Luck!!

#50 ·
Well i wish i would have read this before i went outside.....but i didnt. I ripped out the center console and went in through the trans tower. which i have to say wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. took me about 30 minutes including the time it took to wipe out the nasty cup holder. who knew there could be that much coke spilled under that black rubber :confused013: the t60 plug worried me cause when i took it out i saw how it had an oring on the end of the plug and when i stuck my finger in the hole there was the piece the plug went into and it moved around pretty easy. i was afraid that if i tried to push some fluid past it than it would fall down in to the transmission. so to make a long story short i went with some royal purple and it didnt make a bit of difference. :banghead:

#52 ·
My plan to overfill the tranny was to park on a sideslope some how wit the fill plug on the high side allowing about a liter/quart overfill.

#53 ·
Good Idea ART H :thumbsup:

#54 ·
i spoke to soon on my findings. the noise is about the same but the shifting into 2nd and reverse is better. i noticed it this morning when i was backing up that it went from reverse to 2nd smooth where as before when it was cold i would have to come to a complete stop almost to get it out of reverse. then while at lights or any other stop going into 2nd seemed to be easier. will have to try the dampner when i get the money, but for now i guess i will settle for the smoother shifting.

#55 ·
Hey j_purkey07 how difficult was it to install the Fluidampr. I shelled out the 400 and some change and bought it from Summit.

According to the guy @ Fluidampr it's a breeze to install. Somehow I doubt that and there's going to be one key thing that makes it a PITA.

Can't wait to get it.:party018:

#56 ·
Fyi

I read a couple of post where some guys have tried the fluidampers and had no results, i was hopping for some positive info on the damper myself :confused013:

#58 ·
I read a couple of post where some guys have tried the fluidampers and had no results, i was hopping for some positive info on the damper myself :confused013:
BIG NEWS FOR 6.7 Liter CTD owners regarding the Fluidampr. WE DO NOT NEED THIS*

*Unless you plan on turning some major rpm in competition and need an SFI Certified Dampener the Fluidampr is a waste of money.

I received mine yesterday and while it truly is piece of art it's being sent back today. I talked to Richard @ Brown's Diesel yesterday evening and he set me straight on alot of misconceptions on these, and told me these are a pretty much a waste of money on the 6.7 CTD for the average guy. He claims and I believe him (after taking a long hard, embarrassed look at the OEM dampener again) that the OEM Dampener is Viscous already.

SO THE FLUIDAMPR WILL DO NOTHING on a 6.7 CTD really. The 5.9 on the other hand sees major benefits from it, due the fact the 5.9 uses an inferior rubber isolated OEM dampener.

I cannot find a single post about the 6.7 Fluidampr doing anything all on it's own. I have read that when the tranny was overfilled and the Fluidampr was installed some improvement was seen. However all the gains were most likely from the additional fluid. My Gear rollover improved a lot simply by adding an additional quart of fluid.

There are people who claim the Fluidampr actually increased the gear rollover and clatter on 6.7 CTDs over stock. See CF post: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-performance-parts-discussion/118017-fluidampr-install.html
And while I feel like I showed my red :spank: due to finding this out after the fact, I'm glad I did the additional research. :party018::blues::doh:

#59 ·
well on a 5.9 it made a noticable difference. imo it was worth my money. wasnt aware of the 6.7l issues. i was told though that installing a fluidampr on an automatic transmission was a waste of time because it sorta already has one. the torque converter is full of fluid and bolted to the motor so it absorbs alot. so maybe some of the replys saying it did nothing was from people with auto trannys. i was told to only put one on a manual. It helped my truck alot so im happy with mine :thumbsup:

#60 ·
It helped my truck alot so im happy with mine :thumbsup:
I bet it did seeing you have a 5.9 truck that had a rubber center factory dampener.

There is nothing wrong with the Fluidampr for 6.7 either, it's just not going to quiet down the transmission any.

If that's what people are looking to buy them for (on 6.7) then it's money wasted.

The 5.9 CTD with G56 is another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.