Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel gelling

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dieselfan2011 
#1 ·
Well I am pretty sure I had my fuel system gel up to day. It started fine and idled for 15 minutes. I got down the road about a block and it started to stumble. I made it another block and it just died. If I cycled the key 4-5 times it would run for about 20 seconds then die.

Called Airdog to see if there was anything I could trouble shoot on the fuel pump. They ran down their spiel. I had fuel to the filter but I think it was gelling after the pump. I waited till it warmed up and went and tried it and it ran fine. Now I have power service anti-gel in it.hopefully no more problems.

My thoughts are...but maybe wrong. Is that the fuel was fine till it hit the filters on the Airdog then it was just so cold that it started gelling from that point going towards the engine.

It was -18 F this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
The fuel was gelling before it hit the filters. When it gel's, wax crystals form in the fuel. They accumulate in the filter, that's all.

Find out how the local fuel stations mix their fuel for winter. You may have to mix some #1 in yourself if they are not doing it, or some Powerservice or the like.

Up here in MN, the local stations all start mixing fuel for winter in Nov in stages. After 12/15, we're in full winter mode. Don't generally have to worry about it because the stations are on top of it.

Reactions: dozer12216
#4 ·
Get some power service 911 (red bottle) keep it in your rig for winter use....much cheaper then a tow
I've given out 2 bottles now for the flat landers that come out snowmobiling and a -30 degree spell slides in for the night in the high country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.