Cummins Diesel Forum banner

12v vs 24v?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hartd18 
#1 ·
Whats the goods and bads of 12v and 24v in 07 2500 Manuel? Thanks

#2 ·
Do you mean 5.9 VS 6.7 L motor? the 12V and 24V was a much older time change.

Biggest differance in the 6.7 VS 5.9 in 07 I would list as

More emissions stuff
less millage
Newer motor
complicated exhaust system
Exhaust brake, assuming the trube is still funtional and or stock.

better millage
simpler
tried and true
Most people prefer the 5.9 over the 6.7

If It was my choice on a 07 truck I think I would pick the 5.9

#5 ·
Your thinking 2nd gen trucks. 1998 was the last year 12v cummins was available, and was also the first year 24v cummins started going into dodge trucks. Everything 1999 and newer has 24v, but like stated above, in 07 a larger 6.7L cummins came out.

"Killing Time Using Tapatalk 2"

#4 ·
No. They are both 24 valve.

#6 ·
Also to add info to all of the above the reason for the change to a 6.7 L over the 5.9 was the introduction a new stricter emmissions laws and the change in the actuall diesel itself to a lower sulfer conntent. "ULSD" So a lot of items changed in 07. And there are a ton of threads on just about every board on the topic of ULSD, emmissions ETC. I think most would agree they are both great engines, and in decent trucks. If your looking for a 5.9 its going to be in a 07 or older, if your looking for a 6.7 .. well its going to be in a 07 or newer...

Are you just looking at trucks? found one you like and have Q?

#8 ·
Yea i have always like diesels but im just now really getting in to them and i plan to buy soon just trying to learn as much as i can about them and not jump in to anything. Thanks alot guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.