Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2WD NV5600 on piece drive shaft?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  StealthDiesel 
#1 ·
There are quite a few threads on 4x4 one piece driveshafts but wanted to see if the 2wd guys had gotten theirs at a store (so far I am not aware of any) or if you had yours made. How much did it cost? Was it worth it?

Again this is a 2wd question.

#7 ·
Bumping this thread up for the 3 2wd guys on here including me!

I have a 2wd NV5600 shortbox with a 2 piece driveshaft. I'm likely due for U-joints & I would love to install a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.

I recently noticed that Doghouse Diesel offers custom 1 piece aluminum rear driveshafts:

1-Piece CUSTOM Aluminum Drive Shaft for 03+ Ram HD's

While they specifically say NOT for 2wd, they also say max length of 93".
I just measured my shortbox 2wd NV5600 truck and the OAL of the shaft is 79".

I sent Rich at Doghouse an email asking if he has ever installed one of his driveshafts into a 2wd shortbox & what he thinks of the length.

#9 ·
As was expected, Rich at Doghouse Diesel quickly responded back with good news! I'm totally stoked.

I'm sure he won't mind me posting his response as there are likely many SHORTBOX 2wd guys interested in this. Note that that his custom driveshaft is NOT for longbox 2wd's.

Yes, we can do one for your truck, that’s no issue.

I really need to change that description so it fits guys with your combination.

The only problem is, we are out of stock on the 1480 yokes from Spicer. They’re a national backorder right now. We’ve had the parts on order for 7 weeks.

With the NV5600 you MUST use the larger 1480 joints and yokes; this is for all manual trucks. The reason being, your truck has the larger AAM 1485
joints from the factory, as compared to their 1415 joints that the automatics gets. These are supposed to be equivalent to Spicers 1410’s/1480’s.
While they are in size, they’re not nearly as strong. Will the 1410’s handle your truck? Yes, but due to liability we can’t build one with small joints than it came with from the factory.

But in short, yes we can build you one, we just have to wait on parts from Spicer.

Richard, Doghouse Diesel

Since I'm in Canada, shipping a driveshaft here is a total ripoff. I would need to have it shipped to Montana & then cruise down to pick it up.
This will require some planning on my part unless I run into U-joint problems before then.

Purchase price with the 1480 yoke & joints lists at US$845 shipped within the US.

#10 ·
Even though a longbox owner, thanks for posting the information for 2WD owners.

I certainly concur on the large u-joints. It's a lot of torque from a standing start, even being easy. I linked my experience with joint replacement in Post #3 above, using NEAPCO pieces as replacements for OEM. Quiet and smooth 30k down the road.

#11 ·
Very cool, while the price is a bit salty, its worth it to not have to deal with the carrier bearing.

So are you going to order one? Please post pics and what all you removed ETC. For the sake of posterity. Once my carrier bearing goes, I'd like to go this route.

#12 ·
Thanks guys, but the real thanks should go to Rich at Doghouse. :thumbsup:

I do agree it is pricey but this is a very high quality assembly. US made Spicer U-joints & anything that Rich (Cumminalong) builds is worth it!

I also agree that getting rid of of center carrier bearing would be nice plus it's much lighter, plus it would be a drop-in assembly, easily installed.

No plans to order 1 at the moment. As Rich mentioned, the Spicer yokes are on back order, and I would have to pick it up in Montana.
It's on my to do list & at the 1st hint of driveshaft trouble for my truck this shaft will be on order.

#13 ·
So custom from doghouse seems to be the only 1 piece option for a 48re megacab 2wd?

Josh

#14 ·
The maximum driveshaft length for a custom 1 piece aluminum driveshaft from Dog House is 93" as per their Rear Driveshaft Order Form:

Dog House Diesel Forms

Read thru the from, crawl under your truck & measure as per the form.

My 2wd Quad Cab shortbox with a NV5600 6 speed manual trans was 79". You are likely going to be longer than the max of 93".

You don't want a super long 1 piece drive shaft anyway...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.