Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Coil Problem After Leveling Kit Install

57K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Chris Q 
#1 ·
2014 Ram 2500

I installed the Rough Country 2.5in leveling kit with stock shock extensions. My Driver side coil looks as it should, but the passenger side coil has a considerable bend to it compared to the driver side. I marked the coil to make sure it was seated correctly when reinstalled, and it seems to be. I installed the passenger side exactly the same as the driver side, not sure of the problem, any suggestions? First attached picture is the Driver's Side, second two are the Passenger's Side.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Adjust your caster, get an adjustable track bar, and then run it until you can throw on some leveling coils and properly sized shocks. These newer trucks really shouldn't run spacers.

#3 ·
From the pictures, it looks like your spacers are installed differently.

The passenger side has what looks like a 1" gap (cutout?) in the spacer, and that gap is pointing out, with the spacer slanted downhill from the outside of the the truck, to the inside.

The driver side has what looks like that same 1" gap (cutout?) in the spacer, but that gap is pointing to the front of the truck, with the spacer slanted downhill from the back of the the truck, to the front, like its 90° off from the passenger side.

Thats the way it looks in the pictures anyway.

#4 ·
I noticed that when installing but the spacer has holes marked D and P for the side to put the spring isolator nipple in. So the only way to install them while keeping the spring isolator in the same position as factory is the way it's on the truck currently.

I think it may be a caster issue with the radius arm cam nut adjustment. I tried installing the spring and spacer in different configurations but the spring still has the same bend to it.

I emailed Rough Country and their response was "i have had 1 or 2 other do this, if you will rotate the passenger side spring issolator to the other hole marked d, that is drilled in the spacer it will fix the problem."

But that means the spring will not be seated in the factory position. I'm gonna mess with the caster adjustment and see if that changes it, if not I'll rotate the isolator.

#9 ·
Did you show them them the pics of your install? As previously mentioned it looks like the passengers side spacer is installed wrong. The cutout should be facing the same direction as the drivers side spacer. Looks like that one has the cutout oriented to the front of the truck.

Good luck...

#5 ·
I'd listen to Paul at CJC, as the suspension side of these trucks is what he lives and breathes. If he says they shouldn't run the spacer, i'd bet money he has a good reason behind it beyond coils being the better (which they are)

In my mind and experience Rough Country is an economy lift. When you spend 30-50k on a truck, why only spend $100 on a cheap level? Comparing those pictures to the HBS i have, i can tell my HBS kit is more durable, and better built. And it isn't much more expensive. I bought HBS kit, to see if i like the look and height. deciding if i like the height, i will buy springs. In your shoes, i'd consider returning that kit, and either buying a better on, or dropping the money on springs and correct shocks. But that's just me. If your know what height you want, spend the coin and get the good stuff, it'll pay off in the end when you don't have issues.

#12 ·
I'm not sure if you know Bilstein has its own leveling kit called 5112, basically it is 5100 + 2 matched coils, and gives you a 2 inch lift in the front. It's a complete set with no matching problems, and you don't need to buy a separately set of coils. Just don't know how good are the Bilstein coils compare to Carli or Thuren. Haven't seen much people comment on them.

#8 ·
I took my spacers out cause I was getting a bad vibration. When I pulled everything apart the spring insulator was shot! I ordered 3" Thuren springs, track bar, steering stabilizer and 5100 Bilstein Shocks. It was the best thing I could have ever done, my truck rides like a dream now. It's best to do things the right way not the CHEAP way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Look at the angle designed into the spacer... Your drivers side spacer as installed is moving the spring mounting point forward. However you have the passengers side off by 90 degrees and moving the spring mounting point inboard. Read your instructions again and make sure the spacers are in the correct orientation.

#11 ·
^^^Agreed^^^

Unless I am looking at the pics wrong, it looks like the passenger spacer is "clocked" improperly. That's either due to installation or a design issue.

And like others have said, some of the bow will go a away when you correct your caster but I have also come across issues with the coil isolators. It seems that they can can smashed pretty easy and cause the upper portion of the spring to seat at an angle. The only solution for that is to get new isolators.

#13 ·
The spacers look installed correctly to me. Correctly engineered lift springs are the way to go. However, the bow in the spring isn't the end of the world. Here is a OE Ram 2" lift coil, if you look closely you can see the RAM factory tags. The truck road fine and aside from the looks there were no other negative performance issues.

#14 ·
I'm bit lost here. Where these "OE Ram 2" lift coil" come from? Does Ram have their own 2 inch lift coil? Forgive me, first time heard of it, sounds a bit fishy... Anyhow, the blue/yellow Bilstein 4600s are supposed to go with the stock height coils, no wonder the 2 inch lift coil would bow:banghead:. 5100 is the one go with lifted coils:nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.