How to replace serpentine belt. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Powertrain
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to replace serpentine belt.

Gents:

I need to replace my serpentine belt for the 6.7L 2010. I cannot find any instructions in the forums on how to do it.

If anyone can give advise and indicate a procedure, that would be lots of help.

Thanks.
curuxa is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to curuxa For This Useful Post:
NorCaler (12-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Second Most Important Member

is there a routing diagram under the hood?
2007.5 6.7L THANKS TO, DANS DIESEL PERFORMANCE-EFI LIVE-WALLY@FTE-RICH@GLACIER DIESEL POWER-RANDY ELLIS DESIGN-DON THUREN FABRICATION-POLY PERFORMANCE-S&B-H&S-BFG-GENERAL RED LETTERS-MHP-B&G-FLO PRO-AMSOIL-EDGE-RECON-GENOS GARAGE-HELL BENT STEEL-BILSTEIN
TORK-STIK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

No, there is no serpentine belt routing sticker anywhere. I do not have the service manual for this model year.

Got the Hane's for '02-'08 so the routing must be the same, just do not know for sure. Mine is a 2010.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Take a picture of it from the top and front of truck and another one from under the truck. Then find the idler pulley either use a rachet or a pry bar. I would try just using the rachet if you can.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
1BadCTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Go to auto zone and get the $16 dayco tensioner pulley and replace that too. You're going to need a buddy and a 1/2" drive long rachet.
The routing is the exact same as the 3rd gen.
My best advise is to take the tension off the belt and slip the belt off of the alternator first.
You must install the rachet to the belt tensioner from the bottom and passenger side of the truck. The hardest part is slipping the belt through the gap to get it off/on the harmonic balancer.
The tensioner has to come off in order to get the belt off/on as well. It's a 13mm bolt head, use a 3/8" drive rachet and shallow socket, or ratcheting wrench, it's kind of tight in there.
Good luck!
Cummins Keep It (04-24-2014), Mudman1 (01-21-2014), NorCaler (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadCTD View Post
Take a picture of it from the top and front of truck and another one from under the truck. Then find the idler pulley either use a rachet or a pry bar. I would try just using the rachet if you can.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

No pics needed, there is already a tread on this also under water pump replacement

Mudman1 (01-21-2014), NorCaler (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thank You lonestarwelder and 63boxtop:

Your replies are very informative, nevert thought of getting a new pulley, I guess that these wear out. As to the use of a buddy, it is great advise. Saw on Youtube that this fellow used a ViseGrip to hold tension, may work or may not.

Does not seem that difficult to do, but with the schematic it makes everything easier as it is almos impossible to take a picture of the setup unless one removes the radiator for space.

Thanks. I hope that this thread will be informative to others, as I did not find one in this forum that adresses this serpentine belt maintenance process.

Regards.
The Following User Says Thank You to curuxa For This Useful Post:
NorCaler (12-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.