Fuel Additive for 2012 6.7 Cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Powertrain
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Additive for 2012 6.7 Cummins

I have been reading the threads and most of them pertain to older diesel trucks. I just bought a new 2012 6.7L Dodge 2500 yesterday and hope to have years of fun with it. All of the threads seem to agree that an additive is needed with every tank of diesel. So I decided when I picked up my truck to talk to the head diesel mechanic at Dodge. He said that the new Dodges were built to run on the ultra low sulfer diesel fuel and no additive is required. He even went so far as to say that many of the additives could actually harm the engine or make it work harder to remove the buildup that the additives can cause. This is my first diesle vehicle so the contradicting points of view are very confusing. Yes or No to additives?
Thanks
Fishboy

Last edited by Fishboy; 09-07-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Fishboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

You beat me to it I also was wondering the answer to this question
Bcrocker01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

No additives required. You may need an anti gel agent in cold weather if your fuel stations don't get to ordering winter fuel soon enough or a cold snap hits hard. I live where in winter -40* is fairly common and there's no gelling issues here but the stations have winter fuel by October. Diesel Power Service is what many recommend if you need an anti gel agent.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Sandman76
I was leaning towards not putting any additive in with every fillup but there sure a lot of posts about needing it. Are they just needing it because of previous generations of the cummins engine not being built for the ultra low sulfer diesel and now the current diesel engines are built for the ULSD fuel?
Thanks
Fishboy
Fishboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

The 2003-2007 5.9L Cummins seemed to have injector issues and sometime after 2008 Chrysler updated the filtering system on the 6.7L diesels. Before that the VP44 trucks were good on Low Sulfur Diesel but not Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and many many VP44s broke (either from the ULSD, faulty lift pump or from a combination of both). I used to run two cycle oil in my 2001 so the VP44 was for sure lubricated and I used up the rest I had in my 2008 but now I run nothing. The fuel suppliers have wisen'd up and started adding lubrication to ULSD but I don't know when they started doing that. So no worries about lubrication. If you REALLY want, you can do a cost analysis on additive and see if even doubling the life of your CP3 is cost effective even if adding something to your fuel would double the life expectancy (which I doubt highly). Better money is spent on filtering your fuel and oil if you really want life expectancy out of your injectors and CP3 injection pump and the engine in general. Yes, filtering costs, but not as much as the alternative.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Some people think you need it because some people say you need it because some people use it.
012cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012cummins View Post
Some people think you need it because some people say you need it because some people use it.
Lemings
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i use fppf total power or there polar power have had no problem in over 5 years
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam1on1 View Post
i use fppf total power or there polar power have had no problem in over 5 years
It's not about having problems or not having problems, it's about throwing good money out the window for no reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.