AC at start up - no cold air? - Page 13 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Powertrain
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #145 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Taking my 2012 3500 dually in tomorrow. I am having the same issues. Noticed over the weekend with temps around 100 and I let the truck idle with AC on max, AC did not cool down till moving. I did check the fan today and after initial startup the fan freewheels and AC compressor cycles. I do not have remote start.
smcguirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #146 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My 2010 doesn't seem to have the same problem but you guys are on the right track and Chrysler does have to fix this.

In the mean time have any of you put an electric fan up front pushing over the condenser? It may take Chrysler a while to come up with a fix.
If you do, make sure you use a Spal fan. If there is a better built fan I am not aware of it. They don't give them away though!
SPAL Automotive USA
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #147 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesellady View Post
Found it. Right in the beginning of the testing procedure it says if it makes a grinding noise, replace it.

ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED VISCOUS DRIVE – 5.9L DIESEL

If the fan assembly does not free-wheel and a metallic
grinding sound exists, replace the electronically controlled
fan drive (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ENGINE/RADIATOR
FAN - REMOVAL).

NOTE: The following test may take up to 15 minutes
to perform temperature.

1. Set the parking brake and verify the transmission
is in park or neutral.

2. Set air conditioner (if equipped) and blower fan to
OFF.

3. Start and allow engine to reach normal operating
temperatures.

4. Stop engine, connect the scan tool and select
appropriate model year and engine option.

5. Check for and correct existing DTC’s

6. Using Tool 6801, backprobe pin 1 of the electronically controlled viscous fan drive connector, with the harness connected located at the lower fan shroud to battery ground.

NOTE: The fan drive control coil is energized to 12 volts at this time.
WARNING: A spark may occur when connecting pin to ground. Be sure that no combustible material is in the area.

7. Using the scan tool, verify that DTC 0480 set. If it is not set, verify that a good ground is available.

8. Start the engine.

9. Actuate engine speed to 2000 RPM..

10. Go to the SENSOR screen and observe the fan speed.

11. Run the engine at 2000 RPM until the fan speed increases to 1850 RPM or more for 30 seconds.
That says its for a 5.9L would that make a difference??? Im going to take it in tomorrow to have the tail gate lock installed so I'll see if they can look at the grind noise.

My Build And Picture Whoring Thread
PUREVIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #148 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Right. And, the fan clutch DOES spin initially upon startup. Then, within the first minute, it stops pulling air and starts freewheeling. That's when the AC shuts down as the head pressure goes through the roof. That's why I think there is a problem with the fan clutch itself. I think Ram has a bad run of fan clutches.
I believe the same thing. I really believe this is the issue for most of the no cold air at start up complaints.

If the A/C condenser does not get proper air flow, the high pressure side will trip a safety cutoff switch and disengage the compressor clutch. Simple as that. Thats why once you start driving (getting air past the condenser) the compressor will stay engaged and the evaporator will chill allowing cold air to blow.

Again, I had the same problem. Replacing the defective fan clutch fixed my issue. I suspect, as does brownbear, there was a batch of defected fan clutches. The fix is to get more air past the condenser.
2011' 3500 SRW 4x2 68rfe CCSB Laramie Longhorn | H&S XRT Pro + OD Software (custom no TT, +120HP ) | aFe DPF delete | aFe Trans pan | aFe Diff cover | Bilstein HD's | 1" Daystar front lift | Silverstar Ultra Hi, Low & Fog | Cab Air Filter Mod

Last edited by damon.kj7e; 08-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.
damon.kj7e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #149 (permalink)

On startup this morning the AC was blowing cold. So I drove over to dealer anyway to ask service department about it and pickup parts for cabin filter install. Service writer looked at me as if I asked for a moon rock when I described the problem of the AC not cooling at startup idle and then cooling down after moving. I said you have not seen this? No not really was his reply. I asked about fan clutches condenser fans etc. Blank stare is all I got. BTW this is not the dealer I bought the truck at, but close to my home. I told him that it would have to sit and cool down, then try to replicate the problem so I would need to drop it off let it sit overnight and then diagnose the next day. Still undecided on taking back to this dealer. Anyone in the Dallas GA area have this AC problem and what dealers have you dealt with?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #150 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I hope we can all get new fan clutches under warranty.
BigRedRam95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #151 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcguirt View Post
On startup this morning the AC was blowing cold. So I drove over to dealer anyway to ask service department about it and pickup parts for cabin filter install. Service writer looked at me as if I asked for a moon rock when I described the problem of the AC not cooling at startup idle and then cooling down after moving. I said you have not seen this? No not really was his reply. I asked about fan clutches condenser fans etc. Blank stare is all I got. BTW this is not the dealer I bought the truck at, but close to my home. I told him that it would have to sit and cool down, then try to replicate the problem so I would need to drop it off let it sit overnight and then diagnose the next day. Still undecided on taking back to this dealer. Anyone in the Dallas GA area have this AC problem and what dealers have you dealt with?
When I took mine in, I didn't ask them if they knew about any problem regarding the AC, rather I told them I already knew about it and told them how I wanted it troubleshooted (see earlier post). Basically I didn't even give him the chance to play dumb.

If your SA hasn't heard about it, he is either lying or has been hiding under a rock! My bet is lying.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ram View Post
When I took mine in, I didn't ask them if they knew about any problem regarding the AC, rather I told them I already knew about it and told them how I wanted it troubleshooted (see earlier post). Basically I didn't even give him the chance to play dumb.

If your SA hasn't heard about it, he is either lying or has been hiding under a rock! My bet is lying.

Good luck.
Just called dealer that I bought truck from and told SM there was a problem with the fan and the AC is not getting cold until after truck is moving. He also says he hasn't heard of this. He said to bring it in of course. He mentioned there could be a reflash of the ECM needed and found this online not sure if it is related or this is what he was talking about. Anyone had this flash?
Service Bulletin 341564 for Dodge ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING | AutoMD
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #153 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Well the dealers seem like they cant do anything about the problem. Lets all get together and start a class act law suit. I don't think it would be that hard to win. I think ram would sound kinda stupid going into court and telling the judge that they made there a/c system not to work at idle.

Also anyone with the digital a/c controls and a remote start. Does your a/c turn itself on if over ithink its 70F temp when remote started? Why would the a/c turn itself on with remote start if it is not supposed to work at idle??????

Last edited by BigRedRam95; 08-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.
BigRedRam95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #154 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedRam95 View Post
Well the dealers seem like they cant do anything about the problem. Lets all get together and start a class act law suit. I don't think it would be that hard to win. I think ram would sound kinda stupid going into court and telling the judge that they made there a/c system not to work at idle.

Also anyone with the digital a/c controls and a remote start. Does your a/c turn itself on if over ithink its 70F temp when remote started? Why would the a/c turn itself on with remote start if it is not supposed to work at idle??????
Thats exactly what I told the service manager yesterday at my dealer.. I realise now, he was just doing what he must of been told by his Chrysler rep. I told them it is unacceptable.

I also looked up the remote start part on Mopars website which quiet clearly states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar
Mopar has a fully integrated, OEM tested remote start system that allows you to start your vehicle from as far away as 800 feet with just the push of a button. Imagine starting and warming your vehicle from your place of work or home on cold winter days, or cooling the same vehicle on hot summer days.
I just can't believe they are telling the dealers to say that's how it is designed. Thats probably the worst excuse they could of come up with.

Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #155 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcguirt View Post
Just called dealer that I bought truck from and told SM there was a problem with the fan and the AC is not getting cold until after truck is moving. He also says he hasn't heard of this. He said to bring it in of course. He mentioned there could be a reflash of the ECM needed and found this online not sure if it is related or this is what he was talking about. Anyone had this flash?
Service Bulletin 341564 for Dodge ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING | AutoMD
Any excuse to do a reflash on our engines. They have done some bad things to the earlier 6.7s with their reflashes. I stay far away from their flashes. It has always been good for me.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #156 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesellady View Post
Any excuse to do a reflash on our engines. They have done some bad things to the earlier 6.7s with their reflashes. I stay far away from their flashes. It has always been good for me.
In the case of some 2012's there is a known issue with the shipped code that adversely affects the performance. Something like limits the fueling to 80% of what it should be doing at WOT. So sometimes its a good thing. Of course, any aftermarket programing would take care of that problem as well.

And Hi Neighbor
2011' 3500 SRW 4x2 68rfe CCSB Laramie Longhorn | H&S XRT Pro + OD Software (custom no TT, +120HP ) | aFe DPF delete | aFe Trans pan | aFe Diff cover | Bilstein HD's | 1" Daystar front lift | Silverstar Ultra Hi, Low & Fog | Cab Air Filter Mod

Last edited by damon.kj7e; 08-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
damon.kj7e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.