Cummins Diesel Forum banner

VGT left me stranded tonight

5K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  02gixxersix 
#1 ·
Bed full of camping stuff, and trailer full of 4 wheelers, all was well. let off the throttle to slow down, exhaust brake kicked in like normal, but did not kick out. Lost all power, smoked like a freight train. Get the loud whistle you get at an idle warm up with brake on, all the time now. So im guessing its stuck on. Just need to figure out if my actuator out, or the vein is stuck. Second turbo for this truck. 110k. Actuator cycle at key on has also stopped now. So either the actuator crapped on me or shes locked up. No warning. No prior hicups ever. . its been one hell of a weekend. Hoping i can replace the actuator and be good to go. Turbo has about 50k on it.

What are yall running for replacements? Without breaking the bank to hard, should i just replace with a factory unit, or how is the Cheeta VGT turbo?

Motor ops EFI live, full deletes. Other than that shes stock.

#2 ·
2nd Gen swap, 465. I'm just looking for an excuse.....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#4 ·

Excuse huh??? Quick sound around the block in a truck with a 465 and you will make up an excuse...
Sell yours to the op to get his ride on the road and there you have an excuse your turbo ran away!!

#3 ·
I would love to do a 2nd gen swap, there is absolutely zero concern about emission laws and testing around here.

I just simply cant justify the cost, my vgt has been flawless. Sorry for your troubles.

#6 ·
It seems like the trucks that have issues with turbos seem to have never ending issues with turbos. I have a couple buddies that even running with exhaust brake on all the time that keep having turbos go out. 2 different trucks with less than 140k, one is on its 3rd the other is on its 2nd(but exhaust brake is starting to stick). It seems that if a truck has no issues it never seems to have issues or if it has issues it always has issues...

#8 ·
In my case, it worked great for 68,000 miles (yes, only 68,000 miles) until the exhaust brake function decided to be intermittent out of the blue. So I decided to get it cleaned. It literally stuck closed on the way home from it's "cleaning". It was yanked the next day. I always ran the exhaust brake as well.

#11 ·
let me know what you want for the old turbo. My brake only works about half the time and I want one to dig into to see what makes these things stick.

#13 ·
Well I just had my second turbo installed to the tune of 4700$ in Lethbridge, Alberta. The truck is an 08 and has about 75k miles. Making me pretty cranky and both turbos went out on my biannual trip from Ak to Az so costly hotels and eating while waiting on the one in Alberta especially. I'm thinking I'm probably to blame because I've been running deleted with my efi tune on the race mode because I get the best mileage there but pull up to 38 pounds of boost on hills. Please tell me I'm wrong but that's the only thing I can think of that would be taking them out. Think I'm on the hunt for a new turbo system after one gets used to some power it's hard to back up. Looking for suggestions for a towing setup if you all would be so kind. It's not my daily driver but usually has something in back or behind. Manual transmission and dual wheels.

#15 ·

A lot of ppl like the 3xx sxe line... I don't know squat about them. I have a 465 from stainless diesel. It over stock was a straight up kick in the nutz...builds boost just as well as stock with lower egt's and a whole lot of get up and go. I am running stock injectors and cp3 and with 35's have no complaints. Tow anything from a small skid loader(6,000) to an excavator(10,000) and occasionally our big skid steer(a little over 12,000). I can still tow with my efilive turned all the way up and never see egt's hardly over 1100 if ever. It really is quite pleasant to drive..

#17 ·
I just did a quick search but I do not believe you can. I very well could be wrong. I think without the actuator the turbo is going to stay in the position that it stuck..
Like i said I could very easily be wrong..

#20 ·
I believe coolant runs through the actuator on the turbo, so no you couldn't pull the actuator, and run it (if it didn't have coolant you could though. The fully open position for the turbo is the lever pushed all the way toward the back of the truck). The actuator would also have to be left plugged in, and ziptied somewhere.

#23 ·
Still waiting on my kit. They are saying next week. They apparently custom fab it all to order. I did get my ATS pressure maximizer plate and put that in last night. Just hope I drilled the holes right haha. Killin me having her down this long. I got my tuning loaded up as well. Il hopefully get it knocked out the day I get my parts

#24 ·
I am going to show this thread to my wife and then order a S369SXE :blues:

I'll be following to see how you like it.

#25 ·
Are you doing studs at the same time? I am kinda thinking about pulling the trigger on an SXE and worrying about the studs later since drive pressure should be much much lower.

#28 ·
Well got it all installed tonight. Took about 5 hours. Have only driven it from work to the house just now. I got 4 more mpg on the way home. It spools later. About 1900 rpm. But man when it starts to spool she moves. Level 2 tow tune will boil the rear tires. Haven't turned the switch up yet I'm still undecided if the extra boost will destroy my head or not considering I'm not studded. I only have my edge Cts to monitor and it maxes out. No clue how much boost I'm actually making. Trucks wayyy to damn loud now with straight 5"

#34 ·
As a good example in support of what bob is saying, my 93 is on stock head bolts, has moderate timing, makes 50psi of boost, and 73psi of drive pressure, and has not blown a headgasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.