68rfe valve body ????? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
SlVRbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elverson, PA
Posts: 2,141
Thanks: 294
Thanked 131 Times in 114 Posts
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
68rfe valve body ?????

I'm running Mm3 with trans tuning and have been curious if adding an aftermarket valve body would have make any improvements to its performance. I'm aware that with trans tuning a lot of aspects can be changed but beyond trans tuning would a vb help. I have also considered adding a tc at some point but realize that would add stress to the next weaker link. Thanks


'11 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Laramie
06 QCLB Sport- SOLD.
SlVRbullet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Diesel Head
 
N of 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yukon Canada
Posts: 3,240
Thanks: 1,320
Thanked 635 Times in 478 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
A decent valve body or separator plate that allows you to increase your line pressure will always help. However you are right about the next weak link. I call mine a Frankenstein 68. I run a lower stall triple disk BD converter as mine ballooned on me after running the seperator plate and increased line pressure. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. When a performance converter locks up you know it, it can be pretty solid. It sure grabs and slingshots you forward when it locks though. Hence the next weakest link. Input or output shaft, roll the dice. So I have learned to use my foot when it changes gears, the most benefit I get out of it is my trans temperatures run ridiculously low for towing or anything for that matter.
I'm pretty sure the extra line pressure is good for my overdrives.
I think if I was to do it all over again I would've just ran this one till it died and had a new built trans show up at my doorstep With billet input and output. For now I just use my foot in between gears which still makes it a hell of a lot faster than a G 56. Maybe I'll get 300,000 out of this one who knows. I'm getting older and don't really care about 0 to 60 even though it does very well.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tommygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.80 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
N of 60 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to N of 60 For This Useful Post:
SlVRbullet (03-19-2017)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM
TECH SPECIALIST
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grass Lake, MI
Posts: 3,194
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,519 Times in 923 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Realize that an aftermarket VB (by itself) will not give you higher line pressure. You must also alter the PCM / TCM programming to actually call for higher line pressure.
TransEngineer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TransEngineer For This Useful Post:
SlVRbullet (03-19-2017)
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 278
Thanks: 37
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
A decent valve body or separator plate that allows you to increase your line pressure will always help. However you are right about the next weak link. I call mine a Frankenstein 68. I run a lower stall triple disk BD converter as mine ballooned on me after running the seperator plate and increased line pressure. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. When a performance converter locks up you know it, it can be pretty solid. It sure grabs and slingshots you forward when it locks though. Hence the next weakest link. Input or output shaft, roll the dice. So I have learned to use my foot when it changes gears, the most benefit I get out of it is my trans temperatures run ridiculously low for towing or anything for that matter.

I'm pretty sure the extra line pressure is good for my overdrives.

I think if I was to do it all over again I would've just ran this one till it died and had a new built trans show up at my doorstep With billet input and output. For now I just use my foot in between gears which still makes it a hell of a lot faster than a G 56. Maybe I'll get 300,000 out of this one who knows. I'm getting older and don't really care about 0 to 60 even though it does very well.


What line pressure were you running when you ballooned your converter? I recently did a separator and increased line pressure to 225 psi.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanRT is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
SlVRbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elverson, PA
Posts: 2,141
Thanks: 294
Thanked 131 Times in 114 Posts
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Thanks guys.... I have been told that with all the programming that can be done to the 68 buying an aftermarket vb would be a waste of money????? The trans definitely is better than prior to trans tuning but I guess I'm limited in my knowledge as to what these can handle when you start increasing line pressures etc when in stock form. I only run a tow tune and won't run anything higher so a fully built trans isn't necessary for my application. I tow but not heavy and drive very sensible now that I'm older lol

'11 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Laramie
06 QCLB Sport- SOLD.
SlVRbullet is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Cummins Fanatic
 
pwrmvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 107
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlVRbullet View Post
Thanks guys.... I have been told that with all the programming that can be done to the 68 buying an aftermarket vb would be a waste of money????? The trans definitely is better than prior to trans tuning but I guess I'm limited in my knowledge as to what these can handle when you start increasing line pressures etc when in stock form. I only run a tow tune and won't run anything higher so a fully built trans isn't necessary for my application. I tow but not heavy and drive very sensible now that I'm older lol



Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for a valve body. I run a revmax valve body now and I had it tuned before and after. The valve body was worth every penny. Shifts are much cleaner. Better tc lockup. The tuning is the key to the shifting and the valve body allows the trans to make the nice crisp shifts under load with the higher line pressure. The only time it is a waste of money is if you think just a valve body mod will hold 50-100% injectors with compounds or something like that. At that point you are just better off going fully built. So far it was money well spent for me. You will need modified tunes to command higher line pressures to see any results. Just a FYI if you use revmax and buy their valve body and later down the road go to a fully built unit they discount 100% of the valve body cost off the fully built trans same if you added a torque converter also. So think of it as an investment towards a built trans if you needed it down the road. You are only out the labor cost at that point.
pwrmvr is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to pwrmvr For This Useful Post:
SlVRbullet (03-19-2017)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Diesel Head
 
N of 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yukon Canada
Posts: 3,240
Thanks: 1,320
Thanked 635 Times in 478 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanRT View Post
What line pressure were you running when you ballooned your converter? I recently did a separator and increased line pressure to 225 psi.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Potentially up to 250 psi. Line pressure is applied based off of boost. My MCC was set to stock pressure as a reference. Really don't know how much has been put through it as with the super B special instead of the VGT I can do all my work from 25 psi and below. VGT would hit 30+ easy. I run much less boost now to do the same work turbo charger speaking. I don't know if the BD pressure controller works linear or not for line pressure command mixed with torque load and boost.

BD ProTect 68 Trans Pressure Control Kit 6.7L Dodge Cummins

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tommygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.80 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
N of 60 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to N of 60 For This Useful Post:
MeanRT (03-20-2017)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Potentially up to 250 psi. Line pressure is applied based off of boost. My MCC was set to stock pressure as a reference. Really don't know how much has been put through it as with the super B special instead of the VGT I can do all my work from 25 psi and below. VGT would hit 30+ easy. I run much less boost now to do the same work turbo charger speaking. I don't know if the BD pressure controller works linear or not for line pressure command mixed with torque load and boost.

BD ProTect 68 Trans Pressure Control Kit 6.7L Dodge Cummins


Was considering putting this in, one of my initial thoughts was a balloonig TC. Little bit concerning that they release a product that helps and potentially damages components. Did BD say anything in regards to it?
nighthawk73 is online now  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Diesel Head
 
N of 60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Yukon Canada
Posts: 3,240
Thanks: 1,320
Thanked 635 Times in 478 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk73 View Post
Was considering putting this in, one of my initial thoughts was a balloonig TC. Little bit concerning that they release a product that helps and potentially damages components. Did BD say anything in regards to it?
Never brought it up with them. Don't know if it was the cause. They did however say to have your line pressure set to stock. I do accept the pay to play theory.
MeanRT likes this.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tommygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.80 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
N of 60 is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 278
Thanks: 37
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Potentially up to 250 psi. Line pressure is applied based off of boost. My MCC was set to stock pressure as a reference. Really don't know how much has been put through it as with the super B special instead of the VGT I can do all my work from 25 psi and below. VGT would hit 30+ easy. I run much less boost now to do the same work turbo charger speaking. I don't know if the BD pressure controller works linear or not for line pressure command mixed with torque load and boost.

BD ProTect 68 Trans Pressure Control Kit 6.7L Dodge Cummins


Thanks. For some reason I thought you used MCC to increase line pressure with just a separator. I may have been using the search feature and read some older posts on a similar subject. I really like your turbo and EB setup. I'm sure it's far more reliable and efficient than the factory VGT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanRT is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
SlVRbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elverson, PA
Posts: 2,141
Thanks: 294
Thanked 131 Times in 114 Posts
iTrader Score: 17 reviews
MAybe one of you can clear something up for me here. I know my tuner increased the line pressure along with other variables when he did the trans tuning but my question is this. Am I to believe that I higher level of pressure and even better shifts can be had by adding an aftermarket vb such as a revmax vb? Also do I need to have any changes made to my trans tune if I opt for an aftermarket version or should I just leave that decision up to my tuner?

'11 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Laramie
06 QCLB Sport- SOLD.
SlVRbullet is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 278
Thanks: 37
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes, higher line pressure beyond the stock vb can be achieved with the revmax vb. In order to take advantage of the revmax vb changes need to be made. Your tuner can certainly help with the changes in the trans tune to command the higher pressure. I don't have a revmax vb, so I can't speak about the shift quality. I haven't heard of anyone being disappointed though.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MeanRT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome