Cummins Diesel Forum banner

DEF - Urea Content Acceptable Range

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MDThree 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 2500 with the dreaded "Bad DEF Detected" light issue. The dealer tested my DEF and said it was out of spec as it tested at 34% urea. I called BS on them by citing the ISO Standards that state the acceptable range as 30.8 - 34.2%. The dealer refused it as a warrantable claim (20,000 miles) because the urea concentrate wasn't precisely 32.5%. I called Chrysler about the issue. However, it was a circular conversation. I've continued to ask Chrysler for the urea concentrate range that the SCR sensors consider acceptable before throwing errors. Does anyone know and have documentation for the range? Chrysler won't tell me!

The handbook for the truck clearly states to use ISO and APSI approved DEF fluid. This fluid is allowed by ISO standards to be within the 30.8-34.2% range. However, if our trucks don't recognize the range, we will continue to have this issue. It's so maddening to me I've considered getting our lawyer involved. The repair only cost me $350 to "drain the bad fluid and test the system" so at this point it's the principle of the matter, not to mention the multiple TSBs on the DEF systems.

#2 ·
Welcome newb sorry to hear about your rig. .do you live in a delete friendly location. . That should be your next move. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Welcome newb sorry to hear about your rig. .do you live in a delete friendly location. . That should be your next move. ..

I am in a delete friendly state. I've read some of the posts here on the pros and cons of deleting. Is there an overview document somewhere? Browsing the threads is exhausting and sometimes hard to follow the back and forth. Id be very interested in a delete 101 type document, including general costs. The costs piece in particular seem to be all over the map.

#3 ·
I'd ask them for the calibration records for their meter.

Tell them that you need the documentation for your lawyer.

I'll bet anything that they don't calibrate their testers at all!

In fact, I'd ask for the calibration records for all the meters and the documentation that shows which meter was used on your truck.

Also, any training records for the tech and using the meter.

AJ

#4 ·
Thanks for the idea about the calibration records! I will go request those.

The technician at the dealership stated the Urea content has to be exactly 32.5% according to his documentation. Thus, the reason I'm trying to find out the tolerance range, if any, Chrysler has programmed into the SCR system. IF they are requiring 32.5% exactly, but informing via their own documentation that any APSI/ISO approved DEF is sufficient, than here is where the problem lies as the ISO spec allows a greater tolerance than they've programmed their SCR systems. This is my argument for what's going on with these systems and the basis for involving my attorney.

#5 ·
While having to pay $350 during warranty period is complete BS and their statement of DEF having to be an exact % is too. If it happens again with the DEF they filled it with then you can easily call them on their BS. I know you said you got nowhere with customer service but I would try that route again. To get a lawyer involved is silly, you will spend far greater time with a lawsuit and pay the lawyer 10-20x more than the fix.

#8 ·
I had the same problem in my 2014, I got the runaround from the dealer and ram. Finally got tired of fighting it and just ate the cost of repair. It was a lot cheaper than deletes and I was back to work instead of arguing with the man. Had another buddy with a 2015 that had same problem 2 weeks after me, his was still under warranty and they honored it.

#13 ·
Suit initiated. Engaged with a firm already pursuing a class action suit against FCA. At this time, it's not clear if this will fall under the one already or progress of a new one will be intiated. While the firms are the ones getting rich off of such suits, they are about the only option our current system offers to fight companies as large as FCA. I consider a good outcome simple admission of guilt, recalls and replacement, and reimbursement to owners already affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.