Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New truck and leaking

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Highway 4x4 
#1 ·
Put me in the list that has some kind of leak on a new truck. I saw about 3 drops of oil on my driveway and checked under the truck. Been reading about threads of this so called "assembly lube" leak. I've attached a picture of where it's coming from and circle in red is where some form of oil used to be. Is that still an assembly lube leak?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would take that inspection cover off and take a look. You could clean it all out and see what happens.

#5 ·
Agreed, I would take off and have a look. You should get an instant answer as to where it's coming from.

#3 · (Edited)
Looks like it was possibly assembly lube. If it was a rear main it would be black as coal

#4 ·
I think almost everyones truck had the same issue with lube on the inspection cover. Like they said, try wiping it clean, see if it comes back, but being that clean, probably just assembly lube.

#7 ·
Mine did this when new, everyone said assembly lube, but unfortunately mine isn't assembly lube, I'm at almost 30k miles now and still have a small drip. Good thing is, it doesn't drip enough to leave a spot on my driveway. So I'm just letting it be. I'm deleted and don't want to argue with the dealer over the warranty repair of something that I know I've had from day 1

#9 ·
If it's not black it's the assembly lube, mine looked identical to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
How easy/difficult to take the cover off? And what am i expecting to see after taking it off? I apologize if this is obvious to others, newbie here.

Or should i just take it to the dealer since it's so new and let them deal with it?

#12 ·
If it's under warranty take it to the dealer and make them deal with it. Then it's documented. From looking at the pictures it doesn't look like the rear main like mine was. Is it just in that one spot? Mine was BLACK and all over the under side of the transmission pan as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
When you take that cover off nothing will fall out. It's just an inspection for the torque converter. It's not water tight so no gasket. Or you can take it to the dealer and he will want you to leave it for at least a day so they can look at it and tell you it's just assembly lube. If you take the cover off and wipe everything down and it still drips, take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.