Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Coolant temp?

62K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  7492 
#1 ·
Looking for a little bit of info, i have a 2011 2500 with 81k on it bone stock. Today i took it to work about a 60 mile trip, i let it warm up like i usually do (its 80 degrees today) so it didnt take all that long. Ive been monitoring the coolant temp and tranny temp on the evic and noticed that while merging onto the interstate (3/4 throttle) my coolant temp shot up to 210 degrees....i set cruise control around 70mph and temp came down to 204 and stayed around there for the remainder of the trip...stopped at a light getting off the parkway and it went down to 199 then shot back up as i accelerated...is this normal ? Seems high to me? Im not low on coolant and not leaking anywhere....pulled the cap on the intercooler later on and noticed the coolant was pretty dirty ( semi brown from rust and corrosion im assuming).....next question is my trans temp ran around 165 degrees by the end of the trip....is all this normal or should i be a little cautious?

#8 ·
Too early to flush, but it won't hurt to do so. Just make sure you bleed all of the air out.

Bdstalls40 said:
2 weeks ago my temp light came on in my 2010 while towing my dump trailer with a light load. It would fluctuate between 197 and 235. The next day I went to auto zone and picked up a 190 thermostat and replaced the factory 200 thermostat. I topped off the coolant. It was fine for about a week. This past weekend I hauled my 26' enclosed trailer up to the mountains with some toys in it and everything was fine for the first hour. Then the temps started to climb and fluctuate. At one point I hit 240. Everything seems fine with the truck. No leaks, clean oil, no coolant lose, no boost pressure spikes. What the hell could the problem be???? Could my temp sensor be bad??? Also the temps change pretty quickly like 10-15 degrees in a minute or less. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh and i have a CTS for gauges and was comparing that to the factory temp gauge and they read identical. The other thing I can't figure out is when the truck is up to temp and warm if I put it in park the idle jumps up over a 1000. When I put it in gear it drops back down???????
Your head gasket needs replaced.

#5 ·
Normal. The stock thermostat is a 200* rating. When mine was stock it would easily get up to 212* as the thermostat slowly opened and brought all the cooler flow in past the temp sensor. Then would settle between 199-206 depending on load,outside temp and RPM's.

#6 ·
My 2012 overshoots on first warming up, to about 206-210 depending on how heavy I am, then settles to 199-203 unless I'm working it hard. I monitor it and slow down/downshift to keep it under about 215 if I'm climbing with a load (or also that one time towing into a 35+ mph wind at 105º ambient up in Amarillo).

My transmission slowly warms up until it hits about 172, then stays there. Only time I've seen it higher is climbing while towing 10,000 lbs in the Rockies.

#7 ·
2 weeks ago my temp light came on in my 2010 while towing my dump trailer with a light load. It would fluctuate between 197 and 235. The next day I went to auto zone and picked up a 190 thermostat and replaced the factory 200 thermostat. I topped off the coolant. It was fine for about a week. This past weekend I hauled my 26' enclosed trailer up to the mountains with some toys in it and everything was fine for the first hour. Then the temps started to climb and fluctuate. At one point I hit 240. Everything seems fine with the truck. No leaks, clean oil, no coolant lose, no boost pressure spikes. What the hell could the problem be???? Could my temp sensor be bad??? Also the temps change pretty quickly like 10-15 degrees in a minute or less. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh and i have a CTS for gauges and was comparing that to the factory temp gauge and they read identical. The other thing I can't figure out is when the truck is up to temp and warm if I put it in park the idle jumps up over a 1000. When I put it in gear it drops back down???????

#9 ·
Gotcha...its a 2011 so its been in there about 5 years....its getting a little discolored. Going to wait another month or so since everyone says these temps are normal ill just flush it when i do the deletes....also is it a must to do head gasket and studs if i delete ? Will probabky only run an econonmy or tow tune at the very most....only deleting for longevity of the motor (my last oil change drained about 15qts. Which means thats a good 3 qts of fuel running thru the motor) i bet everythings nice and shiney in there haha

#13 ·
I did it over 55,000 miles ago...and I'm not easy on it...still running and pulling like a champ. Just let it get up to temp before giving her hell....and stay on top of the maintenance.

#16 ·
Yellow Font Recreation Screenshot Event

Been over 3 years since he was on last.

Start a new discussion in the right section for your truck with truck info, any mods, and exact symptoms.

#17 ·
Yes, share everything you have installed on your truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.