Gutting DPF/NOX sensor question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gutting DPF/NOX sensor question

I have searched over this forum and there is some good info here but not the specific answer to my question(s).

I have a dpf and nox laying around that I gutted. I am leaving the stock downpipe as is. My question is, if I install the gutted pipes with no tuner, how long will I make it before going into limp mode? Can this be avoided with running only a pressure Sim? I will eventually get a tuner as soon as one shows up local for the right price, but I have the time to do this now and want to make sure Im not going to be limping around. I realize i will have a CEL by not running egt sims, but im ok with that for now. Can I just plug the egt sensors in as normal or will that make it go into limp mode too?

Also a side egr question. Were there issues with people disabling the egr by removing the servo on trucks with the HO motor or is simply unplugging it fine?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,933 Posts
Why not buy a set of 4 sims for $60 and not worry about it?

-Guzzler
67guzzler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
Why not buy a set of 4 sims for $60 and not worry about it?

-Guzzler
Im fine with that too. Who has the best sims? Is there also an option for the pressure sim or does that have to be the home made setup?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

No need to bother with the DPF pressure sensor. Leave it connected and just remove the two pressure tubes. Leave them unplugged. See the SIMS link in my SIG below for more information on SIMS. Good luck!

-Guzzler
The Following User Says Thank You to 67guzzler For This Useful Post:
MaxGSD (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok I read that over, looks easy enough. So the sims are just for the egts and O2? And there are no issues leaving the pressure tubes open to the ambient air with the plug still connected?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You didn't read the post.

It goes step by step on what you need. This answers your questions automatically.

You must move the O2 sensors over. There are no SIMS for those.

-Guzzler
Old 07-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
You didn't read the post.

It goes step by step on what you need. This answers your questions automatically.

You must move the O2 sensors over. There are no SIMS for those.

-Guzzler
Haha, no I did. I'm a Marine so I require everything to be Barney style. I'm also a pilot so I like checklists/redundancy.

I appreciate your help.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I deleted with a hollowed out DPF and NOX running a Smarty. As of now I have everything still plugged in except the rear O2 (couldn't find a quick O2 spare or plug). No codes, no problems so far! I figure the pressure sensor doesn't care if it's open to atmosphere or open to the exhaust. At least this way the elements stay on the outside.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grporter View Post
I deleted with a hollowed out DPF and NOX running a Smarty. As of now I have everything still plugged in except the rear O2 (couldn't find a quick O2 spare or plug). No codes, no problems so far! I figure the pressure sensor doesn't care if it's open to atmosphere or open to the exhaust. At least this way the elements stay on the outside.
I see, what confuses me a bit is that I thought the pressure sensor was inplace to read the pressure inside the DPF, if it gets to a certin level (high pressure) then this is a reason for the system to regen. So I gather that the comparatively low ambient pressure of the atmosphere whould allow this sensor to never signal for a regen with the tubes removed from the sensor...
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGSD View Post
I see, what confuses me a bit is that I thought the pressure sensor was inplace to read the pressure inside the DPF, if it gets to a certin level (high pressure) then this is a reason for the system to regen. So I gather that the comparatively low ambient pressure of the atmosphere whould allow this sensor to never signal for a regen with the tubes removed from the sensor...
The pressure sensor checks for DIFFERENCES between the two tubes. Leaving them open the atmosphere tells the ECM everything is fine and not to do a regen. Doing anything creative with them only leads to hassles.

The 4 sims go in the 4 temp plugs and you really need to move the two O2 sensors over / keep them in place with their two 6 pin plugs plugged in.

And that's it.

-Guzzler

Last edited by 67guzzler; 07-29-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I would love to know if anyone shares the same thoughts as me and the possibility of a turbulent exhaust with a gutted filter. Anyone wonder the same thing possibly causing a decrease In power?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyster06 View Post
I would love to know if anyone shares the same thoughts as me and the possibility of a turbulent exhaust with a gutted filter. Anyone wonder the same thing possibly causing a decrease In power?
Well, it's certainly not "tuned." I'd much rather see someone drop $220 for a 835 complete delete & downpipe kit with bungs rather than trash their expensive exhaust components. $220 do it right (like the "how-to" in my sig) and no fuss, no muss. Save the old junk for what the future holds so you can go back. You can always get a tuner down the road.

I just don't get it. Sorry for the rant.

-Guzzler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.