RecklessJeremy's 2012 build up thread - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
RecklessJeremy's 2012 build up thread

Howdy y'all, I decided to go ahead & start a build thread for my truck, that way you guys can give me some guidance & help me make good decisions!
Starting with the basics, nothing you haven't seen before...
Here's what I've got on a UPS truck right now:

H&S Mini Maxx Race
H&S Pyro kit
Flo-Pro 5" TBE no bungs/muffler
Flo Pro EGR delete

Wally at FTE gave me a hellufa deal on all this (Thanks again man)

I also got the Connector Plugs set fro RSD to cap off all the wires that wont be used with the race exhaust. I know I could have saved $60 by just wrapping them with some electrical tap or just leaving them open, but this just seems like the right way to do it & gives me more peace of mind. I always want to have the option of returning my truck to stock.

Here's how she sits now, enjoying a rare rain shower here in west Texas.

Hopefully next week will be slow at work & I can get some of this stuff bolted up! I'll take a couple of install pics here & there for you guys, even though I know you've all seen this 100 times before.

Next round of updates is gonna be an S&B Intake, H&S Intake Horn, BOV kit (haven't decided which one yet) & then if my clutch is still holding up I'll probably try to tackle the studs (nervous about doing this!)

Stay tuned!

2012 2500 4X4 G56 3.73 Megacab.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods by me: ATS Aurora 7500+, ATS Dual Fuelers (Not yet installed, but soon!), Valair Street Triple, H&S Mini-Maxx & Pyro (+MCC by TOMEYGUN), 4" ATS down pipe to 5" Flo-Pro straight pipe exhaust, Flo-Pro EGR delete, GDP Grid heater delete, GDP Big Line Kit, GDP Open Air Breather.
Mods by others: ARP 2000(425) Head Studs (Installed by Power Source Diesel)
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessjeremy For This Useful Post:
Mudman1 (06-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Subscribed!

2012 Mega Cab DRW Longhorn
2012 Crew Cab DRW Longhorn
2011 Ford F-450 DRW Lariat <sold>
2006 Crew Cab DRW Lariat <out-of-service>
2008 Jeep 4 Door Wrangler
post #3 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Diesel Head

Looks good couple of thoughts.

I would start looking for a clutch before the intake stuff. Also I would rethink the H&S intake horn the build quality is crap, glacier diesel makes some really nice ones.

2010 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Sold

2015 Jetta TDI...Yep
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigCE For This Useful Post:
Cherny780 (01-12-2014), Irish Carbomb (06-25-2013)

post #4 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Thanks for the input BigCE,
I'm, gonna see how long I can make my stock clutch last, I don't tow or race, & rarely ever drive it hard... But I'm already looking at clutches & will probably put some money aside for it cause I know it's coming.

I looked at the Glacier intake horn also, it seems like a really good option. The only difference I see is in the boost tube, Glaciers is a 3.5" silicone tube whereas H&S sells a 4" metal tube. Not that the .5" would make a measurable difference, but I wouldn't have the option of welding my BOV into the cold side boost tube. But it does sound like a very nice intake horn.

Mods by me: ATS Aurora 7500+, ATS Dual Fuelers (Not yet installed, but soon!), Valair Street Triple, H&S Mini-Maxx & Pyro (+MCC by TOMEYGUN), 4" ATS down pipe to 5" Flo-Pro straight pipe exhaust, Flo-Pro EGR delete, GDP Grid heater delete, GDP Big Line Kit, GDP Open Air Breather.
post #5 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

If your worried about that look at AFE Boost tubes then but I would really consider the stuff from glacier.

2012 Mega Laramie 4x4 Suspension BDS 8" long Arm Fox 2.0 Triple, King Bump Stops Wheels Custom Wheels by FUEL, TOYO M/T 37x13.5x20 Performance Parts ARP Head Studs, AIRDOG Lift Pump, PPE Dual Fueler, AFE Intercooler, Boost Tube, Beans Diesel Fuel Sump, Injectors GDP Intake, Grid Heater Delete/ Relocate, CCV, Coolant Relocate, H&S Mini Max W/OD MCC, Over Head Mount, Tuned by Draconian Diesel, Industrial Injection TWIN TURBO Phatshaft 62 + S474, Twin CP3, S&B DriveTrain AFE Diff covers, Yukon 4.56 gears, Other AMP Research power steps, Bushwacker fender flares

post #6 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

!

Well I got all the parts I ordered from FTE yesterday, this is the first time I've been up close & personal with 5" exhaust & WOW! This stuff is massive!

My cat is like WTF is this??

Got off work today & picked my truck up from the Stealership after getting its first oil change.... let the upgrades begin!
I couldn't wait to get the mini maxx in so I went ahead & installed it tonight... it was so easy to install I was done in about 30 minutes!
The HDMI cord is thick but can be slipped behind the rubber door seal & then behind the dash easily. The only pinch point is where it comes out between the dash & pillar. But it looks fine IMO.
I ran the power wire through the same rubber grommet in the firewall that the hood latch cable goes through, then i drilled a small hole in the side of the fuse box lid so I wouldn't compromise the rubber seal that goes between the box & lid. Put plenty of slack inside the box so it could open without binding up, put some silicone on it & called it good.

The rest of the install is too easy to even mention...

Once I got it done I turned the key on & let it do its thing, setup is super easy...
By the time I finally got around to test driving it, it had just started raining... Even with just the street tune & DPF present this thing is crazy in the rain with torque management disabled!
I'm already super impressed with the tuner & cant wait to install the exhaust/egr delete/pyro kit this weekend!

On another note...
After my test drive I decided to check the oil as I always do after someone else changes it... The oil level is up over the entire plastic tip of the dip-stick & almost a half inch onto the wire! WTF is this crap?? Not to mention the "oil change due" light wasn't reset & the windshield sticker was in the floorboard! Ugh... Sorry for the rant y'all. I guess I'm gonna have to drain some oil out tomorrow & reset the light myself.

I think I'm gonna take you guys advice & go with the Glacier intake horn & AFE boost tube, that way i can still weld the BOV into the intercooler pipe. OR i might just get it put right in the intake! I think this looks feakin' sweet!

Still waiting on the connector caps from RSD. Next update will be exhaust!
Thanks for viewing!

post #7 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Got the EGR delete & new exhaust hooked up yesterday & I love it! I'm really glad I went with the straight pipe rather than the muffler version, its actually still very mellow! NOTHING like a straight piped 5.9!

We only ran into a couple of small problems along the way, the first was threading the Pyrometer bung into the threaded block off plate. NPT threads are tapered so the hole gets smaller as you screw the bung in... Screwing it HALF WAY into the plate is plenty! I went a little overboard with the impact gun & screwed it in 3/4 of the way & it choked the bung down so much that the probe wouldn't fit through it!
The only way to fix this was to use a 1/4" drill bit & a couple of round files to shave enough material off the inside of the bung that the probe would fit through again... sticking a round file in a high speed drill is ghetto as hell but gets the job done much quicker!

When I took the EGR valve off the intake plenum I was appalled by how much suit was built up inside my intake already! With only 3000 miles on the truck there was a good 1/8 inch of suit buildup on everything!
Glad I'm deleting now instead of later! Poor motor!

Here is the pile of EGR garbage that came off the motor.

Along with the stock exhaust...

If you want to get that stock down pipe off in one piece as I did you're going to have to support the transmission with a jack, unbolt it from the cross member, unbolt the back of the skid plate from the other cross member, take both bolts out of the passenger side of the front cross member & one out of the drivers side so you can swing it down enough to get the down pipe out.
Otherwise you can just cut it up with a saws-all but that would be throwing money away!

This is how exhaust was intended to look!

The next little issue we had wasn't even really a problem, just a minor speed bump.
The Flo-Pro exhaust comes with a small pipe section that is only flared on one end, I'm pretty sure that if your truck is a short wheel base you just leave this pipe out, if it is a long wheel base you put this pipe in, but if it is a medium wheel base like my mega cab you have to cut this pipe pretty much in half & then everything fits like a charm! It only took us about two minutes of panic to figure out what needed to be done. Lol!

The one other thing I figured I would mention is that the bigass USB cable for the Pyro controller can be a PITA to get pulled through the fire wall. I tried pulling it through the grommet for the hood latch cable but I've already got too much crap running through there (including 4 gauge amp power wire) so that was a no-go. Then I found the small rubber nipple under the main wiring harness shown in this picture.

If you cut the end of the nipple off it makes a perfect conduit for the usb cable, its still difficult to pull through (lube helps a lot!) but there is a ton of flex in that big rubber bushing so it works good! Thanks Dodge!

That pretty much sums everything up! I love the way this exhaust exits so much that I might not even use the 6" tip I got!
There's a slight drone at 2000RPM but its basically nothing IMO, probably will be worse when towing but IDC, I couldn't be happier!

Here are some snaps of the exit along with a short vid of how the exhaust brake sounds, my brother who is an Iraq War vet says it sounds like an M1 Abrams! Lol

Speaking of my brother, big thanks to him & my buddy Garrett who did most of the heavy lifting while I was messing with electronics. I owe you guys a lot of beers!

2012 Cummins 6.7l Flo-Pro 5" Straight pipe TBE. Idle & stock VG turbo exhaust brake kicking on. - YouTube

The exhaust has actually rotated down quite a bit in the last pic, (please ignore my reflection in the bumper, lol)
I did some "spirited" driving yesterday & I think all the bumps & vibration & such caused this, its so hard to stay out of the go-pedal now!!

Once I get my hands on a Mig welder I'm gonna reset the exhaust & give it a few tacks so it cant do this anymore!

I'm thinking I might go ahead & do the studs before I upgrade the intake/plenum. Its just so hard to not drive it like I stole it!
Might also be taking BigCE's advice & start shopping for a clutch now instead of later.

Thanks for viewing!

Mudman1 (06-24-2013)
post #8 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Cummins Fan

Very nice looking to do this to my Little brothers 2012 next week. any helpful hints??

2008 3500 qcsb, minimax, H&S Overdrive,5"tb, deleted, fuel rail plug, GDP vent kit, 2" leveled front, bilstein shocks, mag-hytec rear cover, toyo mt 35's/ 33 cooper ltz (summer set) on 20's
post #9 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamuscle View Post
Very nice looking to do this to my Little brothers 2012 next week. any helpful hints??
I think I've highlighted pretty much all the little snags we ran into during my install, but if you do run into anything you need help with during your install don't hesitate to ask!

post #10 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 PM
1791 Conservative

First off, I popped your Thanks cherry 2x over, so congrats. Second, nice truck. The mods make it a lot better. I used to have almost a hundred pics of my truck up and the mods I did, but when some folks started getting attention drawn to them, I pulled mine down. That said, here is what I would recommend. Many guys above already mentioned this, but I would look at GDP. Rich is awesome to work with. S2 intake horn, Air Boss grid heater delete, the grid heater relocate. CCV modification to get those oily gasses out of your turbo vanes. FYI, on that either keep the stock filter in place or put a puke tube down on the ground. Either way you will get some oil if you remove the filter. I did that but then put it back in and let it vent to atmosphere. Works well I think. Next, get a secondary fuel filter. I went with the GDP Big Line kit. Easy install, easy to access, looks good.

There are a few options, but put on an engine oil bypass kit. I went with Amsoil and mounted it in the right front fender well, on the frame. Due to my bumper and winch, some other good options were limited.

On the exhaust, I had a similar problem with it rotating. Turns out the one pipe was not in all the way and allowed the hangers to have play. Wood and a hammer are your friend. I took mine to a shop and put it up in the air. Also, you might have a drone. FTE has resonators (I just ordered one yesterday) to address this.

Truck is looking good man. The above is just my opinion. My truck runs strong, tows great and sounds awesome. I felt it easier to have one or two companies under the hood for ease of working together and addressing issues.
post #11 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

I swapped the Mild w/ ATT tune that my Mini Maxx came with for the Hot Damn without ATT group, but still running on the "street" setting. From what I understand, the only difference between the two tunes should be the ATT & that's all since I'm not running the highest setting.
I disabled ATT to be nice to my motor & hopefully make my turbo last longer...
Well the difference is pretty big! Even though it feels noticeably more sluggish to me now, (I guess I got spoiled by the ATT for the short time that I ran it.) I think I'm gonna leave it this way... The power band starts way low in the RPM range & is very smooth & linear, & my shifts are smoother now as well.
With the Mild w/ ATT it was pretty jerky, especially when letting off the throttle the truck would buck quite a bit & the motor had some pretty bad throttle flutter while settling back to idle. It seems like the truck likes this new tune a lot better, the only think I miss is how hard it would pull with the ATT. Better safe than sorry I guess!
I'm gonna go on an 8 hour road trip 4th of July weekend so that should give me plenty of seat time to decide if I'm going to keep this tune or not

post #12 of 229 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

@Mudman1
Thanks man I really appreciate the advice, you mentioned some things in your post that I've never even heard of! So I'll definitely be checking those out... I'm also definitely looking into the GDP products, you mentioned of couple of those I haven't heard of as well, like the grid heater relocate. Thanks!

Mudman1 (07-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode