k&n oiled air filter good or bad ? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
k&n oiled air filter good or bad ?

Hey guys I was thinkin about het a k & n air fitler for my 2012 6.7 am I just lookin for pros/cons. A little reminder I have my turbo baffle out will it affect anything? Another question . I live in central arkansas but I work in cherokee oklahoma which os about a 900 miles round trip . I go there for two weeks then im off for two weeks . I have a little over 4400 miles and I was wonderin how oftten should I change my oil

Thanks fellas !
cumminsruffneck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Horrible idea!!! Really, K&N is the absolute bottom of the line filter for a diesel truck. Any oiled filter IMO, is not good for the turbo impeller vanes. Look at an aftermarket "dry flow" filter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are they reuasble? What abput the oil change
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
CF Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton weldin View Post
Horrible idea!!! Really, K&N is the absolute bottom of the line filter for a diesel truck. Any oiled filter IMO, is not good for the turbo impeller vanes. Look at an aftermarket "dry flow" filter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsruffneck View Post
Are they reuasble? What abput the oil change

they do not belong in a turbo diesel, I had a drop-in K&N element in my '01, I looked at the turbo about 8K mi. later and the compressor wheel was BLACK with dirt/oil(from the filter). it was factory oiled and installed by their directions and it did NOTHING good! the Cummins pulls way too much air for a K&N and will pull the oil out of the filter and then allow dust into the engine thru the now-too-dry-to-do-its-job filter.

as to the oil change, the truck will tell you when it is due, don't rush it! mine didn't tell me I needed to change the oil until ~ 7500 mi.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Welly change oil light came on when I had like 2800 miles nd I called my dealer n they said just reset itand I can get atleast c
6000 mile before it need to be chnged . But I just didnt kno if drivin 7 hours straight or round trip 900 miles would shorten that
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
RACE KTM

Quote:
Welly change oil light came on when I had like 2800 miles nd I called my dealer n they said just reset itand I can get atleast c
6000 mile before it need to be chnged . But I just didnt kno if drivin 7 hours straight or round trip 900 miles would shorten that
I would change the oil. I guess the dealer didn't want to deal with changing your oil.

Lots of guys here get what seems like a small change interval the first time. I just changed my oil for the first time at 2K miles, as I wanted to get that first oil out of the truck. I also don't rely heavily on the light, but having said that, if your light comes on before the change interval you decide on, then go with the light. Otherwise go with your change interval you feel is right for you.

Also, a long road trip is really the best thing you can do for your truck's oil. If your not deleted, long trips let the truck use passive regens, and your oil is not getting diluted with fuel.
1986 Jeep CJ-7 Last of the real Jeeps!!
2012 Shelby GT500...Borla Axle backs, TVS blower, JLT 127mm intake, Ford Racing 65mm TB, AFCO dual-fan HE, and Forgestar CF-5 wheels.
NC4stroker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hey guys I was thinkin about het a k & n air fitler for my 2012 6.7 am I just lookin for pros/cons. A little reminder I have my turbo baffle out will it affect anything? Another question . I live in central arkansas but I work in cherokee oklahoma which os about a 900 miles round trip . I go there for two weeks then im off for two weeks . I have a little over 4400 miles and I was wonderin how oftten should I change my oil

Thanks fellas !
This has been over talked about, do a search and don't run one on your truck unless you want to sand blast the inside of your engine.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
RACE KTM

I've been hearing the "no K&N thing" since joining in 08. It's almost like the "I wouldn't grease my axles with Quaker State motor oil" thing.

Anyway, you'd think K&N would iron that one out.

They'd need a constantly running infomercial to even start to undo their bad reputation with regards to our application.
1986 Jeep CJ-7 Last of the real Jeeps!!
2012 Shelby GT500...Borla Axle backs, TVS blower, JLT 127mm intake, Ford Racing 65mm TB, AFCO dual-fan HE, and Forgestar CF-5 wheels.
NC4stroker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.