To Delete or NOT to delete -- My thoughts - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

37Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Dealer warranty

I think this post is a great topic. Lets say one did decide to delete, CIA, and program; what's to stop that person from putting the vehicle back to its stock equipment prior to taking the vehicle back to a dealer for any warranty issues?

My understanding of Smarty is that the programs were undetectable in the 5.9's and it is no longer that way with the 6.7's because the computer parameters are much tighter now and record any above normal calibration. However after talking to Edge, Shorty and H&S reps I have been told over and over that the dealer must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the tuner itself caused the part to malfunction. After speaking to a local dealer about tunes I was told run them but bring the truck to the for warranty issues in its stock condition including deletes but excluding any CAI or exhausted system placed after the DPF.

Also what ever happened to taking apart your exhaust and knocking out the inside of the CAT? Will this cause the DPF to regen more frequently or create any other known issues?

How about this one. My CAT was stolen on my 2012 by some loser. I want to prevent this from happening a second time so I am thinking about setting the truck up to remove and reinstall quickly so I am not a victim again. After claiming the theft on insurance I called the dealer to set up an appt. for the new CAT install. Low and behold I was told the CAT is on national back order and may not be able to get one for 14-30 days...so I now have a 55k truck that I can't use but still make the payment.

A pro for me would not being a victim, so a delete is a maybe! By the way poor design by Dodge to have gone from a welded cat to a three bolt flange Cat.

Any thoughts? Please don't go off on the theft because It happens everyday. Unfortunately roaches don't die.

RustedDodge and repo4sale like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kodiak1600 For This Useful Post:
bamaboys (01-28-2014), ORock (03-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Cummins Fan

As a person who deleted my 2010 and is about to delete my 2012 that has less than 2000 miles on it I can understand both sides of the coin on this discussion. The delete equipment is expensive, I too do not run my Mini Maxx above the mild tune as simply removing the emissions equipment makes in my opinion the truck more responsive than stock. The warranty does stick in the back of my mind but really with the current run of this engine and auto tranny combo there really isn't many widespread problems that seem to warrant constant worry for warranty repairs. My 2010 only had a alternator go out, it ran very very good both stock and deleted, I preferred it deleted but to each his own.

A pro for me deleting was first doing the research about these trucks, doing the mods myself and really getting to know at least the basics of the 6.7L CTD. It was fun to see it all come together and really great to hear the truck come alive after everything was in place. I think a lot should come down to personal preference, available money and available time. Final note, there are a ton of stock trucks with no problems, and a ton of modified trucks that have no problems. Just my thoughts on deleting haha
repo4sale likes this.

Last edited by TurboGriz; 03-20-2013 at 01:08 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TurboGriz For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (03-20-2013), UCTJ (12-08-2014)
post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisminx View Post
This thread can be quite useful if a spat war isn't started. (Not my intention by my first post in this thread.)

Having said that, and having (4) 6.7L trucks since they came out. Two were deleted, two were not. I chose to delete my first one after spending months at the dealership for emissions and computer issues. That truck I deleted with the whole nine yards: air intake, TBE, smarty and Egr/cooler deletes. Ran the smarty on the economy tune because the tow tune was too much for the clutch. I was constantly babying it because of fear of blowing the head gasket. Only plus side was I got 3-4 more mpg's.

After 77,000 miles, I traded it for a 2011 with the auto trans. I left it stock because I only had it for 16,000 miles before I traded it on my 2011 Laramie w/auto a few months before the HO trucks came out. Drove that one with just an xrt pro (no power tune) and delete pipe for a while, didn't see any improvement in mileage so I went back to stock.

A few months later, I got the delete bug again and got an excellent deal on a smarty sr. Ran it with just an egr delete and delete pipe. From day one I babied it because I was concerned about the head gasket and auto tranny on my only vehicle which cost me half what my house cost. I then spent money on gauges, head studs, and waste gate. Before I got to install the new fun parts, my dealer got in a few 2012 duallies with the G56. Really missed shifting my own gears so I bought it.

My current 2012 is completely stock and I plan on keeping it that way. I can drive it as hard as I want while towing anything I want and never have to worry about tearing something up from doing the mods just for a few more mpg's.

The jury is still out on the longevity and reliability on both stock and deleted engines. No one really knows if a deleted truck will outlast a stock truck. They simply have not been out long enough. Ram has come a long way since 2007 with fixing the earlier issues. My 2012 has not been in for any warranty work in the 15,000 miles I've put on it. I get in and drive it how it was intended, without having to worry about screwing anything up, all while still getting 13-15 mpg. The extra 2-3 isn't worth it to me.

What is funny to me is everyone says delete, delete, delete so it will run cleaner and last longer, yet when someone looks at a used one to buy, people warn against it because no one knows what the previous owner did to it. They say find an unmolested one.

Are the head-gaskets that temperamental on these trucks? I mean sure the 6.0 ford is know for that, but I was under the impression you could really push these trucks?

post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Cummins Fanatic

For me, I am staying stock because if i needed to have major warranty work, I would not be able to afford it.

Also, how long would it take for the extra fuel mileage to compensate for the costs of deleting?

Another point, everyone always talks about chrysler voiding your warranty and black listing your truck. Has this ever happened to anyone? I was a previous mustang owner and modded my 07 and 12 with tunes and had warranty work done on them no problem just reflashed it to stock.

2012 6.7 ST CC 8 Foot stock - Bucks County, PA
Previous: 2005 Escape 2007 Mustang GT 2012 Mustang GT
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Also a few more questions about warranties-
Are dealers obligated to notify chrysler of a truck that has been modded so they can "black list" it?
If not, why would they do it, it just seems like it would cost them time to do it, and piss off an otherwise customer. Not to mention, they miss out on their warranty repair that chrysler would be compensating them.

so there are 3 choices for a dealer to take if you come in with a previously deleted truck looking for warranty work.
1. Deny you service and report your truck
2. Just deny you service
3. Service it
Which is most likely, and why would a dealer choose 1 over 2?

post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Thanked 3,633 Times in 2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelch9439 View Post
For me, I am staying stock because if i needed to have major warranty work, I would not be able to afford it.

Also, how long would it take for the extra fuel mileage to compensate for the costs of deleting?

Another point, everyone always talks about chrysler voiding your warranty and black listing your truck. Has this ever happened to anyone? I was a previous mustang owner and modded my 07 and 12 with tunes and had warranty work done on them no problem just reflashed it to stock.
1) It's smart to realize what gambles you're willing or not willing to take. I felt like you but the temptation go the best of me. LOL.

2) There are a lot of reasons, some practical and some idealistic, to deleting. MPG is one of many factors and I'm not sure it would recoup the costs. I never did the math.

3) They can keep track of the flash count and number of regens and make conclusions based upon those numbers even if you flash back to stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to 67guzzler For This Useful Post:
post #31 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
Also a few more questions about warranties-
Are dealers obligated to notify chrysler of a truck that has been modded so they can "black list" it?
If not, why would they do it, it just seems like it would cost them time to do it, and piss off an otherwise customer. Not to mention, they miss out on their warranty repair that chrysler would be compensating them.

so there are 3 choices for a dealer to take if you come in with a previously deleted truck looking for warranty work.
1. Deny you service and report your truck
2. Just deny you service
3. Service it
Which is most likely, and why would a dealer choose 1 over 2?
Chrysler will ask the dealer to check the ECM if you bring your truck in with a driveline failure BEFORE they agree to cover it. Apparently they have been burned in the past for warranty work on things caused by tuning. So 1 and 2 are the same in the sense that the dealer may not be able to get around it to see if Chrysler is going to cover the repair.

If you read the forums you'll see the answers are all over the place and vary depending on the dealer, the problem (driveline related or not), how otherwise souped up your truck is, etc....

There are no guarantees as to what will happen. It's on a case by case basis. But search the forum and you'll see what people have experienced.

Last edited by 67guzzler; 03-22-2013 at 02:50 PM.
post #32 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
1) It's smart to realize what gambles you're willing or not willing to take. I felt like you but the temptation go the best of me. LOL.

2) There are a lot of reasons, some practical and some idealistic, to deleting. MPG is one of many factors and I'm not sure it would recoup the costs. I never did the math.

3) They can keep track of the flash count and number of regens and make conclusions based upon those numbers even if you flash back to stock.
If you are capable of re-flashing the computer, why would you not be capable to editing the information on number of re-flashes?

Also here is an idea, how much does chrysler value their warranty at? Would it be a popular option for buyers to only take shorter warranty for a lower price of the truck?

post #33 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Uncle. Uncle!

post #34 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
Chrysler will ask the dealer to check the ECM if you bring your truck in with a driveline failure BEFORE they agree to cover it. Apparently they have been burned in the past for warranty work on things caused by tuning.

If you read the forums you'll see the answers are all over the place and vary depending on the dealer, the problem (driveline related or not), how otherwise souped up your truck is, etc....

There are no guarantees as to what will happen. It's on a case by case basis. But search the forum and you'll see what people have experienced.
I guess i have not specifically researched it but it looks like there are people who have been blacklisted. I guess if i had a deleted truck, i would take it in, and talk to the service department and fully disclose what i have modded and see if they will cover it under warranty before i let them look at my truck

post #35 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Gasoline Head

Quote:
I guess i have not specifically researched it but it looks like there are people who have been blacklisted. I guess if i had a deleted truck, i would take it in, and talk to the service department and fully disclose what i have modded and see if they will cover it under warranty before i let them look at my truck
That's what I did. Went straight to the service manager. He was great and they didn't touch the OBDII port for recall I went in for.
repo4sale likes this.

post #36 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Cummins Fanatic

its all about the money for me. I play more for my truck then my rent... just living the American dream i guess haha
repo4sale likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwelch9439 For This Useful Post:
colossus4 (02-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode