To Delete or NOT to delete -- My thoughts - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

39Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,399 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
NC Hauler -- From your posts on the forum I have to say I agree with you 100% of the time!!! On this issue I listed with more verbosity the negatives than the positives. In your immediate response you didn't add any new negatives than what I posted. I understand your feelings and their valid. But I wanted to just put something up there in black and white so people can think about it. Of course you have a right to speak your opinion -- My hope was to get the basics laid down there in black and white. The conclusion (to delete or not to) is secondary!
We're in agreement...I'll back out...sorry, really wasn't trying to mess with your post...you and I are usually on the same page, just couldn't help myself on this topic...but I do agree with your assessment on whether to delete or not delete

2016 Ram 3500DRW/CC/LB/4X4/4:10/Aisin/Longhorn/rear air assist, Peal White
2016 Jayco 4112 flood totaled..looking for another one
USAF Viet Nam Vet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NC Hauler For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (03-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
We're in agreement...I'll back out...sorry, really wasn't trying to mess with your post...you and I are usually on the same page, just couldn't help myself on this topic...but I do agree with your assessment on whether to delete or not delete
Thanks man. NC Hauler -- You are 100% justified in your position. You never have to defend it. If I get a 2013 I probably will NOT do the deletes. It's just this current emissions system put me over the edge. Peace!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If someone is nice enough to post a truck-related pic,
I'm more than happy to click a "Like or Thanks."

Last edited by 67guzzler; 03-19-2013 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67guzzler For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Diesel Head

To Delete or NOT to delete -- My thoughts / Editorial.

You do end up not having to clean the egr/egr cooler. Or replace the dpf when it has too much ash
repo4sale likes this.

08 2500 6.7 68rfe 4x4 efi autocal from starlite carli backcountry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurboDiesel7 For This Useful Post:
gonetoshoot (06-13-2017)

post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Cummins Fanatic

67guzzler, I'm new to these tuners and have been using my MM for gauges only waiting till the warranty is gone before downloading a tune. What are the consequences if a dealer did an update after a tune has been downloaded?

2012 3500 CC 4X4 SLT LBSRW Auto /H&S MM(Guages Only)/Toyo AT 285-70-17/Air Bags/Rancho Shocks/ Hellwig sway bar/ Maverick M1000 Truck Camper/Sold 06 Mega Cab 2500 4X4 w/Fisher Plow. Retired CDN ARMY Veh Tech Living The Dream
The Following User Says Thank You to EME 411 For This Useful Post:
Newbi ram canadian (01-20-2016)
post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Cummins Nut

If I delete, it will be after all warranties are expired.

2012 Sagebrush Dodge 2500 CCSB 4x4 6.7 Cummins H.O.,AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro Guard 7 Gold CAI,Top Gun Customz 2 1/2 inch leveling kit ,TGC adjustable track bar, 5100 Bilstein shocks,3rd Gen aluminum rims,Kumho MT-KL71 265-70-17's
The Following User Says Thank You to JEDJR For This Useful Post:
Jeff816 (02-06-2016)
post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EME 411 View Post
67guzzler, I'm new to these tuners and have been using my MM for gauges only waiting till the warranty is gone before downloading a tune. What are the consequences if a dealer did an update after a tune has been downloaded?
If you have not modified the truck other than using a street legal / dpf present / low sulfer tune, then they would simply overwrite the code and you'd be running the factory flash in the ECM.

But your unit would be locked and I think you'd have to go back to H&S to get help to unlock it to keep using it. I think they might charge a nominal fee.

If your truck has the exhaust system deleted -- you'll be in a bit of bind because I don't know if you can re-flash it on the spot. I'm guessing you'd have to get back up with H&S quickly and see if you can get your unit unlocked and then re-flash your firmware / download before you can drive it.

post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDJR View Post
If I delete, it will be after all warranties are expired.
I hear ya loud and clear!

post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EME 411 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67guzzler View Post
If you have not modified the truck other than using a street legal / dpf present / low sulfer tune, then they would simply overwrite the code and you'd be running the factory flash in the ECM.

But your unit would be locked and I think you'd have to go back to H&S to get help to unlock it to keep using it. I think they might charge a nominal fee.

If your truck has the exhaust system deleted -- you'll be in a bit of bind because I don't know if you can re-flash it on the spot. I'm guessing you'd have to get back up with H&S quickly and see if you can get your unit unlocked and then re-flash your firmware / download before you can drive it.
I don't know anything about the street tuner but, if you have a deleted truck and the dealer flashes you're truck just reinstall the tune on the spot and you are good to go per h&s.

Also danes are awesome I have had a few, one named Rebel weighed in at 172 lbs and his best friend was our cat named morris, he slept on the danes back. Gentle giants love them.

2014 Laramie DRW 4x4 Aisin 3.42, Fuels 20x8.25 275-65-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Amp plug and play steps,Weathertech mats, Pioneer sub,Infinity dash speakers, DeeZee tailgate assist, B&W hitch,
The Following User Says Thank You to AngryBeaver For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (05-10-2013)
post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
MMMM......BACON!!!

Thanked 1,052 Times in 651 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
This thread can be quite useful if a spat war isn't started. (Not my intention by my first post in this thread.)

Having said that, and having (4) 6.7L trucks since they came out. Two were deleted, two were not. I chose to delete my first one after spending months at the dealership for emissions and computer issues. That truck I deleted with the whole nine yards: air intake, TBE, smarty and Egr/cooler deletes. Ran the smarty on the economy tune because the tow tune was too much for the clutch. I was constantly babying it because of fear of blowing the head gasket. Only plus side was I got 3-4 more mpg's.

After 77,000 miles, I traded it for a 2011 with the auto trans. I left it stock because I only had it for 16,000 miles before I traded it on my 2011 Laramie w/auto a few months before the HO trucks came out. Drove that one with just an xrt pro (no power tune) and delete pipe for a while, didn't see any improvement in mileage so I went back to stock.

A few months later, I got the delete bug again and got an excellent deal on a smarty sr. Ran it with just an egr delete and delete pipe. From day one I babied it because I was concerned about the head gasket and auto tranny on my only vehicle which cost me half what my house cost. I then spent money on gauges, head studs, and waste gate. Before I got to install the new fun parts, my dealer got in a few 2012 duallies with the G56. Really missed shifting my own gears so I bought it.

My current 2012 is completely stock and I plan on keeping it that way. I can drive it as hard as I want while towing anything I want and never have to worry about tearing something up from doing the mods just for a few more mpg's.

The jury is still out on the longevity and reliability on both stock and deleted engines. No one really knows if a deleted truck will outlast a stock truck. They simply have not been out long enough. Ram has come a long way since 2007 with fixing the earlier issues. My 2012 has not been in for any warranty work in the 15,000 miles I've put on it. I get in and drive it how it was intended, without having to worry about screwing anything up, all while still getting 13-15 mpg. The extra 2-3 isn't worth it to me.

What is funny to me is everyone says delete, delete, delete so it will run cleaner and last longer, yet when someone looks at a used one to buy, people warn against it because no one knows what the previous owner did to it. They say find an unmolested one.
repo4sale likes this.

2014 RAM 1500 Lone Star EcoDiesel

Last edited by chrisminx; 03-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chrisminx For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (03-19-2013), 800 HO (08-02-2013), amero (07-29-2013), bamaboys (01-28-2014), BigTxCummins (04-16-2015), dedonx (06-26-2014), gotdiesel04 (03-22-2013), Humble Hounds (12-30-2013), Todd2500 (10-20-2014)
post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBeaver View Post
I don't know anything about the street tuner but, if you have a deleted truck and the dealer flashes you're truck just reinstall the tune on the spot and you are good to go per h&s.

Also danes are awesome I have had a few, one named Rebel weighed in at 172 lbs and his best friend was our cat named morris, he slept on the danes back. Gentle giants love them.
Thanks. Love da pooches for sure.

I must have misunderstood. I had the understanding the unit would be locked out if a download were flashed and the dealer overwrote it.

post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisminx View Post
This thread can be quite useful if a spat war isn't started. (Not my intention by my first post in this thread.)

Having said that, and having (4) 6.7L trucks since they came out. Two were deleted, two were not. I chose to delete my first one after spending months at the dealership for emissions and computer issues. That truck I deleted with the whole nine yards: air intake, TBE, smarty and Egr/cooler deletes. Ran the smarty on the economy tune because the tow tune was too much for the clutch. I was constantly babying it because of fear of blowing the head gasket. Only plus side was I got 3-4 more mpg's.

After 77,000 miles, I traded it for a 2011 with the auto trans. I left it stock because I only had it for 16,000 miles before I traded it on my 2011 Laramie w/auto a few months before the HO trucks came out. Drove that one with just an xrt pro (no power tune) and delete pipe for a while, didn't see any improvement in mileage so I went back to stock.

A few months later, I got the delete bug again and got an excellent deal on a smarty sr. Ran it with just an egr delete and delete pipe. From day one I babied it because I was concerned about the head gasket and auto tranny on my only vehicle which cost me half what my house cost. I then spent money on gauges, head studs, and waste gate. Before I got to install the new fun parts, my dealer got in a few 2012 duallies with the G56. Really missed shifting my own gears so I bought it.

My current 2012 is completely stock and I plan on keeping it that way. I can drive it as hard as I want while towing anything I want and never have to worry about tearing something up from doing the mods just for a few more mpg's.

The jury is still out on the longevity and reliability on both stock and deleted engines. No one really knows if a deleted truck will outlast a stock truck. They simply have not been out long enough. Ram has come a long way since 2007 with fixing the earlier issues. My 2012 has not been in for any warranty work in the 15,000 miles I've put on it. I get in and drive it how it was intended, without having to worry about screwing anything up, all while still getting 13-15 mpg. The extra 2-3 isn't worth it to me.

What is funny to me is everyone says delete, delete, delete so it will run cleaner and last longer, yet when someone looks at a used one to buy, people warn against it because no one knows what the previous owner did to it. They say find an unmolested one.
Thanks Chris --

There are two parts -- 1) the deletes themselves and 2) the quest for power. Some people include both in the analysis. A prospective buyer doesn't KNOW that I would have babied the truck. To the contrary -- he/she might assume that if it had a programmer and customized exhaust, the truck might have been run crazy ragged. And they may have a statistically significant correlation to argue that fact. It might just be more likely to be true. Great point.

For me, this is not the case. I drive the same with the deletes. Mild tune downloaded/ Tow power level, 3 timing and I baby the truck. It's unlikely that I'll create problems or wear the drive line any more than if I didn't delete. I firmly believe I will experience the benefit of not having to concern myself with the regeneration process and the emissions equipment.

For me, on this 2010, with this DPF system, it was worth it. I was careful not to go too far that I can't easily put it back. I know the history will always be there but I think the condition of the truck at the time of trade / sale will speak for itself. It's pristine.

I REALLY hope that you're right and this thread doesn't turn into a spat and that newbies can look it over and get something from it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Guzzler

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 67guzzler For This Useful Post:
bamaboys (01-28-2014), BrilliantBlackCummins (09-25-2014), chrisminx (03-20-2013)
post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,018 Times in 540 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Great information here and both sides are valid.
kitdfohs likes this.

Smarty Know it all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Wagner For This Useful Post:
67guzzler (03-19-2013), chrisminx (03-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode