S&B Cold Air Intake w/Scoop installation and reviews w/lots of pics!!! - Page 15 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion
4th Gen Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 4th Gen Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #169 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yep you are right ... The battery clothes is the factory with only GDP sticker added on you can have it directly from the dealers ..

I got my wrap from s&b filters direct. Like upandcummer say .. The wrap is a really nice add for the buck !really protect from dirt .
''Black Beast'' 2011 2500 Laramie CC&SB/H&S MM-HD/4Magnaflow/CCV OB/Sinister delete/s&b All/ Mag-Hytec/HBS/35'' M-T/20''XD Badland/RC1 RC2CG Grille/Retro 55W F&L/Bushwakers..more http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bl...8504249?ref=hl
cummins-355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #170 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I'm impatiently waiting today as my S&B is "on the UPS truck for delivery" today. Thanks to cummins-355 for this thread. I bookmarked it a while back for this day.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #171 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplehorn View Post
I'm impatiently waiting today as my S&B is "on the UPS truck for delivery" today. Thanks to cummins-355 for this thread. I bookmarked it a while back for this day.
Happy to hear that you enter in the s&b family ! Thanks so much, it's a plaisure and It's really nice if I can help people !!! Let's me know your experience with s&b filters and feel free to post some pics : )

If you want to see more parts and installation your are welcome to like my facebook page for the truck !!! A lots more to come for the truck including magazine feature during the summer !

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bl...8504249?ref=hl
''Black Beast'' 2011 2500 Laramie CC&SB/H&S MM-HD/4Magnaflow/CCV OB/Sinister delete/s&b All/ Mag-Hytec/HBS/35'' M-T/20''XD Badland/RC1 RC2CG Grille/Retro 55W F&L/Bushwakers..more http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bl...8504249?ref=hl

Last edited by cummins-355; 04-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cummins-355 For This Useful Post:
triplehorn (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #172 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Installed.

I didn't get the scoop and the instructions talk about installing the block off plate. It states that they recommend leaving it off for the additional air flow. Put the plate in if concerned about engine heated air. I left it off.

I found oil film in my turbo and in the hose when I removed the OE intake so plugged the CCV hose on the S&B and put a valve breather filter on the CCV outlet. $17 in parts from O'Reileys.

My install has the intake tube right up against the oil filter as in one of the earlier posts in this thread. I've checked and the intake box placement seems to be correct. I don't think the intake tube is touching the oil filter but it is REALLY close.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #173 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Here are images of my install. Does the clearance between the intake tube and the oil filter seem normal?
cummins-355 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #174 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplehorn View Post
Here are images of my install. Does the clearance between the intake tube and the oil filter seem normal?
Thanks so much for your reply !!!

Yes normally you close the bottom of the CIA if you are in snow area or you do hard mud but if not you always have it open it put more airflow in the airbox !

Yes it's what I did for my truck too .. Cheap and avoid to have oil in the turbo!

I hope you love your new CIA kit ? : ) look really clean!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #175 (permalink)

Subscribed
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #176 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you don't mind I'd like to through in a thought or two.

Prior to this, I had the Banks CAI with snout and was happy with it until I noticed over time that there were little option with them, you can only go to them for anything for replacement parts, and most of the time, per a guy at Banks, you need to order a new unit. I didn't care for that.

I now have the S&B with snout on my truck and 'Very Happy with it'. And to add in here, this thread and the discussion was the best I could find for an out of state friend, for info and installation discussions that help him out a lot while he installed his.

S&B is a good unit. But I found over time that the oiled units made by anyone has an inherent flaw. The oil can / will get past the filter over time.

When most people clean the unit, they either oil when the filter is 'not totally dry' or 'over oil', (this is easy) and either way, the air flow will carry oil particles down the air tube and onto the turbo fan blades, and when the turbo blades are unbalance, will cause early bearing wear. (I've found 2 people that this happen to) If a person does properly oil the filter, there is a possible dilution of the oil in heavy rains and when they are traveling at highway speeds with the moisture clinging to the filter / pre filter and touching the filter for dilution. Unless there is a good amount of moisture, this is a very low possibility.

This is why I was looking at the dry filter unit. I did like the S&B dry filter. (but it was $45.00 plus tax?/shipping each change out)

I did notice something found on the Banks and not on the S&B which was handy. Banks had a hole pre-manufactured for the filter minder unit from the original air box. This is normally not considered by the manufactures and the vehicle owners until the unit is dirty, has loss of power and mpg. It is a very handy indicator for when you will be approaching servicing time, (even with the view plate on the S&B, the filter minder will tell you the actual performance of the filter, not just a particle view). I emailed S&B about this and asked if the owner installed the filter minder, by this action, does this void the warrantee or at least their toughest or comments. It's been over 7 months and no response.

I ran into another limitation. The actual mileage / time per filter is limited by the persons mileage, weather conditions traveled and with or without a pre filter, and such. At $45 per filter, I went looking for a re-usable filter element that was non-oiled. Sort of like finding a needle in the hay stack situation. I found something at aFe, their #50506 filter. A little smaller than the S&B dry filter, fits the S&B unit, easy to remove and clean, in the long run would be cheaper to own, and NO oil.

I haven't had it long enough to say anything about this set up, but thought I'd through it in here for others to consider or comment on. Like on a long distance trip, I went through three states (TX, MN, AZ) that had high winds, the farmers were plowing and by end of day, I found the filter full with dirt. I went into the motel room for the night, brought the filter in, cleaned it in the shower, and went to sleep. The next morning I was bright eyed and bushy tailed with a clean filter to be installed for the next leg of my trip. If this was a stock dry, I would have had to have a spare, if oiled would have tried to figure how to clean and not get into trouble polluting the motel property. With this unit, it was a couple minutes work taking out and installation.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Big Horn, QuadCab, LB, 5.9L, 4x4, 48RE, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, 5" s/s exhaust, Smarty S06, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, Oil ByPass Filter, Coolant ByPass Kit, XX-Fuel System, Mag-Hytec 727DD, 285/70/17 MT
anoldbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to anoldbiker For This Useful Post:
ol sooty (09-30-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #177 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Does the S&B fit the 2013's?
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #178 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

On their webpage, they only show up to 2012.
Cummins

But I would call them to see what is possible. They may have or will soon have one, and they will be the ones who will know. (the 2012 might fit the 2013)

S&B Filters Inc.
15461 Slover Avenue
Fontana, California 92337
(800) 358-2639
(909) 947-0015
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Big Horn, QuadCab, LB, 5.9L, 4x4, 48RE, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, 5" s/s exhaust, Smarty S06, Transfer Flow 56 gal tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, Oil ByPass Filter, Coolant ByPass Kit, XX-Fuel System, Mag-Hytec 727DD, 285/70/17 MT
anoldbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #179 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post

Prior to this, I had the Banks CAI with snout and was happy with it until I noticed over time that there were little option with them, you can only go to them for anything for replacement parts, and most of the time, per a guy at Banks, you need to order a new unit. I didn't care for that.

I now have the S&B with snout on my truck and 'Very Happy with it'. And to add in here, this thread and the discussion was the best I could find for an out of state friend, for info and installation discussions that help him out a lot while he installed his.

S&B is a good unit. But I found over time that the oiled units made by anyone has an inherent flaw. The oil can / will get past the filter over time.

When most people clean the unit, they either oil when the filter is 'not totally dry' or 'over oil', (this is easy) and either way, the air flow will carry oil particles down the air tube and onto the turbo fan blades, and when the turbo blades are unbalance, will cause early bearing wear. (I've found 2 people that this happen to) If a person does properly oil the filter, there is a possible dilution of the oil in heavy rains and when they are traveling at highway speeds with the moisture clinging to the filter / pre filter and touching the filter for dilution. Unless there is a good amount of moisture, this is a very low possibility.

This is why I was looking at the dry filter unit. I did like the S&B dry filter. (but it was $45.00 plus tax?/shipping each change out)

I did notice something found on the Banks and not on the S&B which was handy. Banks had a hole pre-manufactured for the filter minder unit from the original air box. This is normally not considered by the manufactures and the vehicle owners until the unit is dirty, has loss of power and mpg. It is a very handy indicator for when you will be approaching servicing time, (even with the view plate on the S&B, the filter minder will tell you the actual performance of the filter, not just a particle view). I emailed S&B about this and asked if the owner installed the filter minder, by this action, does this void the warrantee or at least their toughest or comments. It's been over 7 months and no response.

I ran into another limitation. The actual mileage / time per filter is limited by the persons mileage, weather conditions traveled and with or without a pre filter, and such. At $45 per filter, I went looking for a re-usable filter element that was non-oiled. Sort of like finding a needle in the hay stack situation. I found something at aFe, their #50506 filter. A little smaller than the S&B dry filter, fits the S&B unit, easy to remove and clean, in the long run would be cheaper to own, and NO oil.

I haven't had it long enough to say anything about this set up, but thought I'd through it in here for others to consider or comment on. Like on a long distance trip, I went through three states (TX, MN, AZ) that had high winds, the farmers were plowing and by end of day, I found the filter full with dirt. I went into the motel room for the night, brought the filter in, cleaned it in the shower, and went to sleep. The next morning I was bright eyed and bushy tailed with a clean filter to be installed for the next leg of my trip. If this was a stock dry, I would have had to have a spare, if oiled would have tried to figure how to clean and not get into trouble polluting the motel property. With this unit, it was a couple minutes work taking out and installation.
Regardless of which one you go with, you should check into a filter wrap. I have an amsoil filter wrap on the wife's jeep and an S&B filter wrap on my truck. I have the S&B intake with scoop on my truck. Initially I wanted to run a Amsoil air filter, but I couldn't find one that fit. I originally had the dry filter (without wrap) because I was worried about the oil. It was filthy pretty quickly. When I said screw it I will just get the cleanable one. I ordered the cleanable/oiled one and a filter wrap. In probably 15k+ miles I haven't had to clean the filter. All I have done is pull the filter and wrap out, clean the box, wipe off the filter wrap, and reinstall. My intake and turbo are both clean and oil free. I guess the main purpose of me rambling on is, if you put a wrap on the filter you have, you might not have had to clean it in the shower, and just wiped off the wrap.
12 RAM 3500 Mega Laramie Mineral Gray, 4x4 SRW Thuren, TGC, Daystar, Backwoods deluxe pre-runner , Smittybilt x20 12k ,Cobra 29LX 102" whip & Breedlove mount, BakFlip/Rak/Box, Amp Research, Bully Rings, Retro Solutions, Front & Rear cam, Quick grill kit, , Tint, KC Hilites Daylighter 233 & 634, pwr gate lock, husky liner, Gauges, ARP, S&B CAI, tube & wrap , IronCross, PSC, 4" Pipe, Mini-Maxx w/pyro, MCC, OD & Inmotion , Mag-hytec, Shibby plugs, GDP breather & dipstick holders, 180 T-stat, H&S intake horn & 4" boost tube, LF9028, Amsoil Bypass system, MOFO 15, Infinity Kapa series.AMSOIL, +, I think I have a problem ...
UPANDCUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #180 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldbiker View Post

We appreciate your nice comments and support of our brand. Just a couple of points of clarification.

Does oil bypass the filter?
First, we have done extensive testing and have found that the oil does not go past the filter. The dye we use to color the filter red does fade slightly over time, but the oil is still on the filter and protecting your engine. Even if a slight amount of oil did bypass the filter, it should not hurt your turbo as vehicle was designed to have the crankcase tube funnel oil vapors (and some oil) back into the intake tube and ultimately on your turbo.

Properly Oiling your Filter
That being said, if you over oil your filter, this could cause problems which is why we have the Precision Cleaning & Oiling Kit which allows you to easily meter the amount of oil you apply to the filter. We post the oil amounts for each filter on our website. The oil is the primary filtering agent. We do extensive testing to determine the proper amount of oil to use on each filter to achieve the best combination of airflow and efficiency. It is critical that you apply the correct amount of oil to your filter; otherwise, it will not perform properly. You should never use an aerosol can to re-oil your filter unless you have a scale that measures in grams.

Dry Filters
With respect to your comments on dry filters, our dry filters are disposable. You can extend the life of the filter by blowing it out with compressed air from the inside out and on the outside, but ultimately the filter must be thrown away. We have done extensive research trying to find a filter media that was both dry and cleanable, but have not been able to find one that was able to protect your engine properly. We are aware that our competitors market their dry filters as "cleanable;" however, the testing we have done yielded results that were below our standards which is why we don't offer a similar filter. Our primary concern is providing you with a filter/intake that provides a significant improvement in airflow while STILL properly protecting your engine.

Filter Wraps
We highly recommend filter wraps for both our cleanable and dry filters. While the filter wrap increases the restriction slightly with a clean filter, the filter wrap helps your airflow as the filter starts to load with dirt. It also makes it easier to clean your filter as you don't have to spend time picking out bug parts, etc from the media. The filter wraps can be easily cleaned with warm water.

Filter Minder
The OE filter minder is calibrated for the OE filter/intake and won't work properly which is why we don't provide a port for you to install it. That being said, we do provide a port for those vehicles with electronic filter minders to avoid getting any codes.

Set Your Standards High
...We Do...

Like us on Facebook
Visit our website
S&B Filters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to S&B Filters For This Useful Post:
brandonjansen (12-31-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.