Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Intake and Exhaust for new 2017?

10K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Xtreme24 
#1 ·
:wink2: Howdy everyone, I am supposed to receive my new 2017 3500 6.7L with the Aisin around the first of December? I am not going to do anything that will void the powertrain warranty. I am however thinking about changing the air intake with a AFE Pro 10R Momentum HD Stage 2 system, which from my research seems to be the best with proven results. I also am thinking about changing the exhaust from the DPF back, with a Magnaflow 4" Pro Series, with a 5" intercooled tip, all stainless, which also seems to be the one with the best results and the look that I want. I know that the results aren't going to be huge, approximately 15 HP and 22 ft.lbs of torque, according to the manufacturers? It could possibly help the MPG and the EGT numbers? This is about the only "performance enhancing" things that I can do, without affecting the warranty. Please let me know what you Cummins veterans think, as this will be my first Ram. :flag:

#2 ·
I'm not sure where you got those numbers but some one is feeding you bs. Either of those mods will do nothing for you. Dpf back exhaust will just be cosmetic and waste of money, I would just buy a tip for the looks. The intake will make your exhaust break a little louder but that's it. The stock intakes are really good and don't need an aftermarket one unless you start going to go big hp.

#5 ·
:wink2: I got the numbers from the manufacturers websites. You can do the same if you are questioning them. I have a Banks Ram Air and Monster Exhaust on my 2015 F-350 6.7L now. They however don't list anything for the new Rams. :grin2:

#4 ·
I would recommend doing some more research, the S&B intake has some nice flow numbers looking at their website (2013-2016, system).

I am particular to Banks, cause they have the data to back up their claims (since I am an engineer I like that). But, they don't really offer anything for the 2013+ trucks except water methanol systems.

I liked the MBRP dual wall tip, so that is what I put on my stock exhaust. However, I did trim the factory tail pipe so I could move the tip inboard to where I wanted it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
install the exhaust everything else is cosmetic and a waste. when your ready to void the warranty spend the bucks on the right equipment
Yeah, so is the exhaust.

Basically OP, what you're wanting to do is waste money on a filtering setup that filters WORSE than stock, and will net you nothing in terms of power, EGT, fuel economy, nothing.

And the same with DPF exhaust, wasting money for no gains in power, sounds, fuel economy, nothing.

Leave the thing stock and take your girlfriend/wife out to a nice dinner. You'll get a heck of a lot more out of that, and for cheaper. Don't have one? Hit the bar and buy drinks, you'll get something.

#9 ·
Those figures were a typo. They were supposed to be a 1.5 hp and 2.2 ft. Lbs increase! LOL

#10 ·
#11 ·
#13 ·
And look how nasty and clogged with crap that stock filter is. They could have thrown a brick in there and sealed it to the intake with duct tape and picked up power...

#14 ·
????? I didn't see a filter, all that I saw was a Dyno chart, and I didn't know there was a filter in the "Filter back exhaust?"

#15 ·
:wink2 It could possibly help the MPG and the EGT numbers? This is about the only "performance enhancing" things that I can do, without affecting the warranty. Please let me know what you Cummins veterans think, as this will be my first Ram. :flag:
OK you asked and the veterans chimed in so I think you got what you wanted other than you want to spend $ So spend your money.
I kept my stock intake and used the money for other things. I still run my stock exhaust other than the big fat round pieces. If you think that the DPF back exhaust makes a difference why don't you just leave it off from there, that should even give you more horsepower :nerd:

Reactions: 007Poke
#17 ·
If you really think these mods will actually increase your hp and torque than by all means waste your money. We are just trying to help you "not" waste your money. But hey i fount some 4" platinum pipe for a dpf back exhaust that adds 50hp and 50lbs tq. Since I put it on my website it's actually true :stirpot:

#31 ·
:wink2: And that's exactly what I am going to do! Thanks for all of the "beneficial" help. :cool:

#29 ·
It's the internet. We have to argue about something.

Because no one would ever have these kinds of disagreements in-person, we all have better stuff to do:rof

Reactions: nick00less
#33 ·
OP, you do know that there will 99% of the time be an increase in HP and TQ from pull 1 to pull 2 on a dyno, WITHOUT changing a single thing on the truck. They very well could have done a stock pull and then slapped on an intake or DPF-back exhaust and saw an increase in HP and TQ, but that doesn't mean it was the "power adders" they are promoting. That is marketing 101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.