Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which 2nd Gen Kit would you choose and why?

• Industrial Injection

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Black Market Performance

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Source Automotive

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Maryland Performance Diesel

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Fleece Performance

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Black Diesel Performance

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Stainless Diesel

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 13.0%

2nd Gen Kit **Poll**

32K views 267 replies 37 participants last post by  HawkEye Mihawk 
#1 ·
I like to narrow down our current options we have this year in 2016 and see who you would choose and why.

I searched and found that while there are threads for a few of these kits dating back several months or even further, this would be a great place to have a one stop shop. It would be current and more importantly have a poll where you don't have to scroll through hundreds of pages to find out and add up the number of people who selected a certain kit.

Then once you decide on which kit you want you can -
1. go to the respective thread already in place for that kit
2. create a new one incase one hasn't been created yet
3. the one out there is old and a new one needs to be created for it.

Lastly if you vote for other please tell us who other is.

#4 ·
I got a lot of my parts from source automotive, but mine isn't one of their kits. I've always been pleased with the quality of their parts.

#8 ·
Are any of the others putting the turbo in the compound position like Stainless ? I thought they were the only ones...

#10 · (Edited)
I agree with bob. Straight flange is perfect level for an s400.

Fwiw I have run every manifold orientation between my 1st gen, and my 4th gen. 3rd/4th gen is not convenient to access just the turbo; angled down is better, but holding the turbine housing up to get the nuts started is a touch tiring; angled up requires a spacer, which isn't inconvenient in itself, but there is that extra potential leak point; straight flange is pretty close to as easy as pointed up, but the intercooler piping is easiest to run on up to 2012 trucks with straight flange.

#12 ·
I'm Ducati.

Straight flange requires a different length downpipe than what fleece uses (well anyone actually. It'll either be short or long depending on up, or down) however the intakes will fit (my intake is from source, and it fits with my straight flange manifold just fine.)

#13 ·
I was going to be creating a thread like this a few days. I'm very anxious to see the comments, I think I've narrowed my options down to Black Market, Stainless, or Maryland performance diesel.

#15 ·
I'm leaning towards Maryland myself.

Maryland boasts a %100 stress free install
Fleece says similar in their video that you get every nut and bolt you need.
Stainless comes with instructions and a coozie lol
Black market says include everything needed

Out the door I'm leaning towards Maryland. $2999 for a 467.7

Black market stainless and fleece are year specific. Maryland says it'll work with every 6.7.not sure if that's a good thing or not.

#14 ·
I just see the fleece kit being the best because of the ac lines, coolant tank, and coolant drain pipe solution. Those 3 things set that kit miles ahead of everyone else's in my opinion.

I will never buy anything again that requires manipulation of the ac lines. It's asinine. Compounds or single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I went with the stainless kit. Perfect fit, looks great, and no complaints with excellent customer service as well.

#23 ·
Im getting mine from Diesel Auto Power cause there the cheapest ive found

Reactions: jkidd
#24 ·
There are lots of kits available. Part of the reason our kit is less expensive is because we have our own CNC ported T4 manifold.

#27 ·
#36 ·
I don't personally have their kit. My 08 is set up 2nd gen, but pieced together... I voted for Stainless simply because it looks good in the compound position. I honestly think Fleece's kit looks cleaner, but given the option factoring in price, I would go Stainless. Of course I never considered how close the heat would be to the cowl until BobSagetisgod pointed it out. I think it's a valid point, for sure.

#37 ·
I agree the fleece kit looks the best. I thought I heard a rumor a while back Milliken would be coming out with a 2G kit, but haven't heard much from his camp lately. For the price of the fleece kit you could get the pusher compound setup, and still have some change for the beer you'll need installing it. I think Milliken's stage one kit is cheaper too. I didn't see you mention H&S's 2G setup, I haven't heard any reviews about theirs and if I recall they only come with the SXE.

Cheers

#38 ·
A friend of mine had a problem with the stainless mounting position when his hood liner sagged, and would rest on the turbine housing. Didn't cause any actual problem, but it smelled less than stellar.

#39 ·
Mine is scabby. Done cheap-cheap, but then again I'm Mickey Mouse.

Now with some kits they offer a 5" intakes where s400's have 5". On the other hand s400 with the race covers have 5.5" covers. In my opinion a 6" intake is a must. That's where source wins. Not to mention the steed is a nice option with source. I'm rockin AAEngineering intake. Their swap is by far the most baller imo

#48 ·
Quick hijack... Love that valve cover ! Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking ?

Reactions: 207Cummins12
#47 ·
My stainless kit had everything needed for the install. The intercooler pipe was a little goofy to line up but all kin all install was pretty straight forward and simple...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.