Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turbo replacment

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigrok 
#1 ·
My brother in law has a 2011 dually 6 speed manual. Deleted dpf, egr stuff is still intact but off via mini maxx. Not sure how many miles. His mechanic neighbor said his turbo is on the way out so he's looking for a different one. He would like to keep his EB. Is there any other cheap option other than buying another stock turbo?

#4 ·
The Cheetah would be a nice option except for the price tag. I don't think he wanted to spend that much.

#8 ·
Step 1. Quit listening to the "Mechanic" neighbor.

A stock turbo is going to cost almost as much as a Fleece cheetah. If he decides to replace it, why not upgrade it? $2600 for a quality turbo that will support 650hp and retains the exhaust brake isnt bad.

#10 ·
Step 2. Quit listening to wanna be wise @$$ turbo gurus on CF that think they know more than the neighbor "mechanic". The "mechanic" has done more Cummins swaps than anyone on this forum. The "mechanic" comes home from his day job, which, believe it or not is a diesel mechanic at a major truck shop. The "mechanic" works on and fabs up anything you need for fun in his spare time. He would be my #1 "mechanic" to bring my Cummins to hands down.

Nobody said anything about new. If used is all he can afford, used is what will go on. There is used ones in the classifieds for $400

Reactions: RWH
#9 ·
Just from an outsider perspective, he could buy a certified remanufactured OEM turbo for less than $1.5k. If he wants to save some money this would be the cheapest route. Everything would be a direct swap in with the least amount of associated labor cost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
He ended up picking up a rebuilt stock VGT with a 2 year warranty. Thanks for the options guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.