Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Trans Tuning

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Bocephus III 
#1 ·
I am about to get trans tuning for my dads 2012. My big questions is are there different trans tunes? Do they have one for towing, one for racing, one for daily driving, etc? I know I can only have 1 tune, but is there a tune specifically made for towing? The only time his truck gets started is to tow a trailer (over 20k lbs is very common). Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Anyone know?

#3 ·
Don't have a 12 ram but do have a 07 tuned tcm with 3 options: mileage, speed, and towing on it ...That's how I requested it from Matt Mathews Dragonian out of Amarillo tx.
It makes a differece just running the mileage option.. Recommend the tune and Dragonian both..

#4 ·
Are you talking engine tunes or trans tunes? I'm talking trans tunes.

#5 ·
Nobody can answer this for me?

#7 ·
My tow haul locks early in 2nd and stays locked all way except during shifts. It's great for towing and waxing.

#10 ·
I am afraid to get trans tuned in my 14 as my trans doesn't sound good going from 3 to 4. It sounds like it shifts twice instead of once. Is that normal for this trans or is mine screwed already. This sucks I wish I would have gotten on here before I spent $57000 on a truck that from what I am reading has trans problems. Now I am starting to hate my truck. Just amazing.

#13 ·
I just deleted my EGR/DPF this weekend and tuned the truck with EFI from HPP. I also added the Revmax trans tuning offered by HPP. The truck and transmission is night and day different. I was unimpressed with the 6.7L throttle response and transmission shifting before tuning. The transmission would clunk, shift way too early, lug the engine etc, etc. That all changes with the transmission tuning and would highly recommend it on the 68rfe. Same for engine tuning.

Reactions: Rhinopkc
#18 ·
Have you driven it under a load yet? Mine feels like rubber bands are shifting it when its empty, but when I hook up my 8500 lbs camper it feels solid and smooth.

I think the issue here is that Ram designed these trucks to WORK. That's why the TPMS wants 80 lbs of air in the rear tires... that's why the trans feels weird without a load... that's why the headlights are aimed so low. Once you put some weight in the bed or on a trailer then the tires are set for the weight, the trans feels better and the headlights are properly aimed.

#19 ·
I had nothing but bad things to say about my 11 mostly about the trans, the banging tq converter locking then unlocking for no reason. Deleted with a mini max with the over driver tune what a waste of $ over drive tune sucks! I was about to take a loss and go trade it back in on dmax said let's try a Dave mathews mmc tune first. Love the tuck now I think even more than the ol dmax! Trans dose every thing it should I can let off at any time and it don't feel like I get rearened it's a totally different truck. It's a shame it don't come this way stock, dodge programming just plan out right sucks

#21 ·
yea I guess my tranny is defective too.... it's been holding 433/968 @ the RW for the last 70K miles or so..... damn dodge tranny's!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.