Body and paint protection - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Non-Powertrain
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD106 View Post
dont waste your time/money on ice, its mearly a polish thats marginal at best. Look around autogeek youll find some good products.

I use a sealant as a base, I perfer Klase, then I top coat it with collinite 746s or 915, which is a pure wax. I usually do this twice a year. I wash my truck once a week, useing a grit gard bucket from autogeek, with meguires professional car washthat does not have a wax built in it and a microfiber mit. If I want a quick detailer, I use meguires detail spray. Do not use a brush at a car wash, thats how you get small scratches, keep your mit and towls clean to avoid swirl marks.

If I get scratches or end up with sap or some kind of contaminates on the paint, ill go over it with a medium abrasive wolfgang clay bar, followed by wolfgang paint cleansing lotion, then ill coat it with a sealant (klase) followed by a good wax (collinite).

Try to avoid waxes with a cleaner built in them ( aka cleaner wax) the results they give are marginal, you want to use a good pure wax, but allways put down a synthetic sealant first, I perfer klase.

As far as the underside goes, I soak everything down with fluid film, I spray it in every gap, hole, seam and over everything. I do that about 3 times a year, in the winter I wash the underside with a power washer once a week. I had 141 k on my last truck all driven in salt covered IL roads and the truck still looked new. I recomend some good mud flaps as well.
You sound like your advertising for autogeek haha.

So to keep it in simple terms for idiots like me your saying that I should

1. Clean the truck real well with clean microfiber towels and cleaner that doesn't use waxes.

2. Use a sealant like klase (I'll have to see if we have that here in Canada) what does the sealant do exactly? Is it for the clear coat?

3. Use a pure wax. Is it ok to use a power buffer?

And that's it?

And what is clay bar and what is it used for??

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
2011.5 3500 6.7L HO Auto SRW 3.73, SLT full load, Carli BC lift + steering stab/brace, 35" Cepek, Fully deleted H&S+MM w/ CCV, AFE CAI, AFE diff cvrs,LED lighting, Ironcross bumper, AirRide bags, 5" TB MBRP dual 7" stacks, Webasto
Sledneck55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck55 View Post
You sound like your advertising for autogeek haha.

So to keep it in simple terms for idiots like me your saying that I should

1. Clean the truck real well with clean microfiber towels and cleaner that doesn't use waxes.

2. Use a sealant like klase (I'll have to see if we have that here in Canada) what does the sealant do exactly? Is it for the clear coat?

3. Use a pure wax. Is it ok to use a power buffer?

And that's it?

And what is clay bar and what is it used for??

Lol I'm not advertising for them, but if they are listening they could give me a discount on my next order

Clay bar is to remove contaminates on the paint, if you don't have any, you don't need it. Always use a sealant before a wax, a good base with a sealant will help your paint last, look good and e easy to clean. Use a good pure wax, Collinite is really good stuff for the money
The Following User Says Thank You to MPD106 For This Useful Post:
slipshft (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I only use a buffer to apply a paint cleaner, scratch remover or color enhancer... So it's rare that I use a buffer on my truck.

On your plastic trim, get some Wolfgang exterior trim sealant, it will keep it nice and black, you ony need to apply it once and awhile.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My brother in-law is meticulous about cleaning his vehicles, right now mine is covered in mud, I washed her before we went on vaca last week, except the tires still looked muddy and I scrubbed them, what good for cleaning them up?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcclindy View Post
My brother in-law is meticulous about cleaning his vehicles, right now mine is covered in mud, I washed her before we went on vaca last week, except the tires still looked muddy and I scrubbed them, what good for cleaning them up?
Wet them down, spray them with Wesley's bleach white, scrub with a brush spray off with water, repeat if necessary. Bleach white can be bad on some aluminum rims, so make sure you only use it on the tires. Good luck bud!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

A note on the claybar, if you move your hand across the paint surface after washing and you feel imperfections, chances are that you need to use a claybar. If the surface feels smooth, then you can skip it. You can also use a microfiber towel and move slowly to listen for the fibers to catch on something, this would also indicate the need for a claybar cleaning. Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
slipshft is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

So do you wipe the clay off afterwards? Or do you leave it on and then wax/ seal?

2011.5 3500 6.7L HO Auto SRW 3.73, SLT full load, Carli BC lift + steering stab/brace, 35" Cepek, Fully deleted H&S+MM w/ CCV, AFE CAI, AFE diff cvrs,LED lighting, Ironcross bumper, AirRide bags, 5" TB MBRP dual 7" stacks, Webasto
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
So do you wipe the clay off afterwards? Or do you leave it on and then wax/ seal?
Here is a good reference on how to clay a car:
How To Properly Use a Clay Bar – Detailed Image

Very thorough instructions. Hope this helps.
slipshft is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Ok so I pretty much got all my products from meguires. The only product I could not find was a sealant So the closest thing I could find was Mother's step 2 pre wax cleaner.

Also should I use a polish before the sealer/ wax?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Ok so I pretty much got all my products from meguires. The only product I could not find was a sealant So the closest thing I could find was Mother's step 2 pre wax cleaner.

Also should I use a polish before the sealer/ wax?

Use a sealant first, then wax, if you feel the need for a polish use it last. Mothers makes a synthetic wax which acts as a sealant, wax all in one, it's an ok product. I'm pretty sure meguires makes a paint sealant
Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Well I got the meguires paste pure synthetic wax. Would that be the same too?

Old 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Sledneck55, you may want to consider some undercoating before the snow comes. I know the years that I was in Calgary they didn't use road salt much. I have all my vehicles sprayed annually with Krown. It is a little messy when performing maintenace, but hand cleaner is cheap compaired to rust repairs.
2012 3500 CC 4X4 SLT LBSRW Auto /H&S MM(Guages Only)/Toyo AT 285-70-17/Air Bags/Rancho Shocks/ Hellwig sway bar/ Maverick M1000 Truck Camper/Sold 06 Mega Cab 2500 4X4 w/Fisher Plow. Retired CDN ARMY Veh Tech Living The Dream
EME 411 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.