How to add a center console to a bench seat truck - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Non-Powertrain
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to add a center console to a bench seat truck

I was very excited to see Jetfuel's post on how to make a center console truck a center shift truck. He inspired me to get on the internet and find a center console to install in my truck since i had the ugly 40/20/40 bench seat. I was able to get one on ebay after getting into a bidding war in the last 30 secs of the auction and managed to get one from a 1500 with the shifter already in it for $484. I thought to myself I stole this thing (got a little ahead of myself).

After receiving the console i began searching for what I needed to finish this project and here are the steps to installing the console in the truck:

First off, you will need to remove the center section of the dash. Start by removing the trim piece under the cup holders, it just pulls straight out. Next remove the cupholder assembly (from what i remember, because i was too excited to take pictures and write stuff down) which has 2 screws above and below then it comes right out. Next are the 2 trim pieces on each side of the upholder where there are currently 12v power outlets. There will be 2 screws for each side, one above and one below. Then disconnect the the harnesses.

Next unbolt the front seat, its easier to start with the drivers seat as it is not attached to the rest of the bench. There are 4 bolts for driver and passenger seat and if you've never taken these out then you will probably need to use an impact to do so are there are bolted in good. There are only 2 bolts for the center jump seat, one in front of the seat and one on the drivers side about 3/4 of the way towards the back of the seat. Your entire bench seat should now be free from the truck. I did all of this leaving my seats in the truck, just slid them to the back seat. Next you need to detach the center seat from the pass seat. There are 4 buts on the pass side seat frame to remove that hold the 2 together. After those are off the seats will come apart. Next, go ahead and move the center seat seat belt which is attached to the drivers seat frame.

Before you put your center console and seats back in, pull the carpet back on the passenger as you have to remove the old air duct which is under the carpet. Mine was not bolted in but did sit on some studs that positioned it. The center console has a longer air duct that comes closer to the dash so you will need part # 55056931AB which is a small 10 inch piece of duct to connect the gap, when installing it just slides right in. Next, you will want to bolt in your rear bracket part # 55365121AB to the floor using the 2 bolts that once held the center seat to the floor. The hole for the bracket on the passenger side is covered by a piece of insulation tape. Remove the insulation tape and put it on the hole that used to hold down the front of the center seat. Next, where the 12v outlets pieces used to be you will see some gold "nuts" that are in the dash, you can remove these with a screw driver. You will see another square hole to put these in about 10inches up. Before I bolted the center console in, I went ahead and attached the shifter cable and the jumper wires to hook up the center shifter as described by jetful on his post about installing center shifters. Next slide the center console up to the dash, and put the 2 screws in the gold nuts you just moved up and bolt the console to the rear bracket. At this time I was a cheap skate and had not ordered the front console bracket, but I think I will go back and order that as it is only $12.

The only other thing left to do to the center console is to make a harness between the old 12v outlet harness and the new 12v outlets harness, which I have not yet done. NOTE: YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO ORDER A NEW RADIO BEZEL FOR A CENTER CONSOLE VEHICLE. Which I have not yet done as I'm trying to find a used one since they are $250 new (this is why i say i thought this was going to be cheap). And or course you will also need to order the parts from the Center Console shifter thread to make the center console shifter work which are:

1ge44xdvab - column cover -gray
68024883ac - shifter jumper wire
52109706AC - lever manual control
52104371AI - shifter bracket
52855956AG - gear control cable
???????????? - Don't know the shifter part number as mine already had a shifter, see the link to the other thread.

Parts you will need for the center console install if you have a complete center console:
console rear bracket - 55365121AB
console front bracket - haven't order yet
air duct - 55056931AB
center console radio bezel -

Here is the link to how to install a center console center shifter:http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...hifter-12.html

I hope i remembered to cover everything, just ask me if you have any questions.
'10 2500 Crew SLT 4x4 w/ RBP wheels with 35" tires & tip, Nfab prerunner light bar w/ 7" lights & RB's, Grill, HID's, H&S MM, AFE 4" TB exhaust, EGR delete, Center Console shifter, LED interior lights, 2" Rough Country lift & shocks
44stevenson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

here is why you have to have a new radio bezel, as you can see in this pic, the standard bezel is too short and there is a gap between the 2 pieces. I wish I had taken some before shots, but i swear this was a bench seat truck.

Also you will notice I have not yet completed the center shift conversation either so for a few days, i have both shifters

'10 2500 Crew SLT 4x4 w/ RBP wheels with 35" tires & tip, Nfab prerunner light bar w/ 7" lights & RB's, Grill, HID's, H&S MM, AFE 4" TB exhaust, EGR delete, Center Console shifter, LED interior lights, 2" Rough Country lift & shocks
44stevenson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Nice job dude! I'm all about stick shifts and bench seats, but i love people making things their own.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.