Rambox and 5th wheel hitch - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Non-Powertrain
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rambox and 5th wheel hitch

Does anyone know if a 5th wheel hitch is made for use in the Rambox? An internet search has come up dry. I understand that the box is narrow inside possibly causing some issues. Also having the narrower box may cause some pinbox issues upon turns. So far this is all heresay but I haven't heard of any attempts or hitch manufacturer interest.

Anyone have any info or experience on this?
bcdiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I do not, but can tell you that bed is pretty narrow. If you are looking to tug a fifth wheel I would go normal long box. Long box is the only real way to prepare to pull one. IMHO. Some people might love their short bed sliding hitches...... to eash their own.

Good luck either way.

I live in a big city and have to park in crowded places, otherwise I would have a long box.

Last edited by shootindave; 01-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
shootindave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootindave View Post
I do not, but can tell you that bed is pretty narrow. If you are looking to tug a fifth wheel I would go normal long box. Long box is the only real way to prepare to pull one. IMHO. Some people might love their short bed sliding hitches...... to eash their own.

Good luck either way.

I live in a big city and have to park in crowded places, otherwise I would have a long box.
My current truck is a long box, but my new trailer is short box compatible and can do a 89 degree turn on a short box. That said, the Megacab (for the kids) along with the shortbox is in my future. The question is... is the Rambox?
bcdiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
My current truck is a long box, but my new trailer is short box compatible and can do a 89 degree turn on a short box. That said, the Megacab (for the kids) along with the shortbox is in my future. The question is... is the Rambox?
I have the Mega Cab and pull a 41 ft Raptor toy Hauler with no problem. Its a very nice setup. I do not thing the Ram Box would work as the rails that bolt to the bed I believe are longer than the width of the Rambox floor width. Even if it did work, you wouldnt be able to haul anything else like firewood etc....Good luck to you...
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW 6.7, Bully Dog GT, a few missing parts,4" TBE exhaust,turbo baffle delete, Kelley 315/70/R17 TSR tires/ stock rims, Reese 20K, Firestone 5K airbags,smoked tail and roof lights, Truck lite LED's,2" Daystar Level kit,Fleetguard filters, Mobil 1 Synthetic oil
Bigpuddie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depending on your trailers pinbox, you will more than likely destroy the ram box. If you are serious on the rambox, you might want to look into converting to a gooseneck instead of fifth wheel. It might buy you enough room to pull it off. This was the main reason I ordered without rambox
purplezuk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I measured mine it's tight I only had about an inch or two to spare with mine.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I am planning on installing a b & w hitch in my ram box to pull my 40 foot toy hauler. The ram box is no more narrow then a regular box between the wheel wells I would think. Your box height is the same as a regular box. I have a b and w companian hitch from my last truck. I'll go and measure it and make sure it will fit. Anybody have the measurements on a ram box?? My truck has a regular box, but the dealer is going to swap for a ram box once it comes in on another truck.
noob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,279 Times in 2,108 Posts
My pin box comes within two inches of my rail on my truck, well over my wheel well. I know I couldn't pull my trailer with a rambox...
2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Ram3500Dually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

So I'm thinking towing won't be a problem, just tight turning is where the 5th wheel I'll hit the rail?? Is that what you guys are thinking. I sold the lifted Duramax especially for buying the ram to tow.

Last edited by noob; 01-08-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

just did some measurements. ram box height is 21". width of box is 48-50". My king pin is 15" to the back before it starts to angle up and total length is 30". For pulling straight it won't be a problem obviously, but I'm thinking like posted above the if you want to 90 degree turn it would hit the side of the box. Not sure if there is enough angle on the king pin to miss the rails. gotta find out so I can kibosh the ram box or keep it coming. can't seem to find anybody that knows either
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Short box, no slider (I dont like sliders). This would also help with the issue of hitting the bed side, the arc path of the pinbox is greatly reduced.

Put a reese sidewinder on the pinbox, run a standard 16k lb reese hitch in the bed.
DesertInferno is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertInferno For This Useful Post:
6.7L RCLB (06-11-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

How does the 5th tow with the hitch slid that far behind the axle? I usually pull with the hitch right over the axle, which would cause interference if I were to turn too tight.

Thanks,
Mike
VIS2k is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.