Trailer brake controller - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 4th Generation 2010 and up 6.7 Liter Cummins > 4th Gen Non-Powertrain
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Trailer brake controller

well i have had my truck for about a week now and i finally hooked the trailer up to it. i plugged the trailer harness into the bumper and check the EVIC to see if it was connected and it showed that i was, then a message popped up saying "service trailer brake system" and a little red picture of a trailer with a line through it(not connected?) popped up, i cant find this picture in the owners manual or how to fix it. i checked the running light, brake light, left and right turn signal and the brakes on the trailer and they all work. i scrolled down to the Brake control screen on the EVIC and it shows the white picture with the trailer and no line through it(connected? also unplugged trailer then shows then line, plugged back in and line goes away)and shows the bar graph adjusting when i brake. i drove with the trailer about 30 miles with all lights and brakes working and the message is still there. now EVERY TIME i start the truck up without the trailer connected i still get the "service trailer brake system" and the picture with the red trailer with the line though it. Has this happened to anyone else? would anyone happen to know how to clear this message?

Sorry for the long message

thanks, brandon

Sold- 2010 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually 4X4, 6.7

Last edited by BlueBeastCTD4x4; 05-20-2010 at 12:20 PM.
BlueBeastCTD4x4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

no one has any ideas or guess?
i went to the dealer where i got my trailer and hooked up to a new trailer and the same message appeared, so that leads me to believe that it is a problem with the truck and not the trailer. i also checked the fuses on the truck that pertain to trailer towing and none where blown. still odd that every thing works and this message show up.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Some-Sho Some-Go

Sounds like a defect in the actually brake controller to me. Take it to the dealer.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just hooked up my fifth wheel, same error as yours. My neighbor pulled up his truck and hooked up to my trailer it is fine. It definitely is the truck/controller, and you are not alone. My 2010 is 2 weeks old.

I am taking mine in early next week, will get back to with what they come up with, please do the same.

Hope this helps out some.
Ian
BlueBeastCTD4x4 (05-23-2010)
Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I read somewhere there was some problems and when the brake controller was replaced at the dealership it fixed the problem.
zman-az is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zman-az For This Useful Post:
BlueBeastCTD4x4 (05-23-2010), Iman (05-22-2010)
Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Yeah, I just discovered this today, although the trailer I am dragging is a pile. Was ok for about 3 miles, but then I hit some bumps in the road and the thing chimed. Thought the cable popped out, but it wasn't that.

Annoying as hell the damn chime every time I hit a bump. Wish there was a "STFU" button on the dash.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

thanks for the replies, im glad im not the only one with this problem. i just got back from a trip pulling the trailer and everything on the trailer work as it should, but the brake controller says the same.
ill be taking mine in to the dealer this week also. i too will report that they say.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,162 Times in 2,047 Posts
No problems with mine yet. Pulled my 5th wheel for the first time this weekend and it worked fine.
2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Ram3500Dually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I've not pulled mine yet but I'm hooking it up to bring home from storage in a couple days. This is not good news for me to read. I've got a 2 week trip coming up very soon and I really don't have time to be jackin around trying to make a new truck work right.

Thanks for the heads up.

That's good to hear 3500... maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i took my truck in today and they told me i had a few check codes in the brake controller and all they did was clear the codes and reset the brake controller. i will hook up to the trailer tomorrow and report back my finding.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

is this the first time dodge has an integrated controller?
hgasca is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i believe so. this is my 4th dodge truck and the first time i have seen it as a factory option, but not 100% sure. possibly a dealer option in the past?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.