Cummins Diesel Forum banner

DynaTrac Free-Spin Hub kit Reviews/Opinions

30K views 69 replies 21 participants last post by  Danderson 
#1 ·
Hello again everyone, I'm planning on ordering me 17 Ram 2500 here today or tomorrow and cannot wait to be a new truck owner. I have always been a Dodge/Ram guy and this will be my first new truck. The only thing I would change about them is the fact that they run Unitized wheel bearings with no locking hubs. I plan on keeping my truck until it is completely worn down and no longer drive-able, so the savings over time would offset the cost of the kit. I was looking into the DynaTrac Free-Spin hub kit to replace the unitized bearings on the front of my future 2500. I've herd great things about DynaTrac and the fact that everything is American made is a huge plus as well as having less wear and tear on the U-Joints, front axle and drive shaft. I was wondering if anyone has installed their kit on their own truck and wanted to see how they liked it. Thanks in advance guys, heres the kit in question:

https://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-...17-dodge-2500-and-3500-with-dynaloc-hubs.html

#2 ·
Alpine.....you bring up a very timely question that I am trying to answer as well. I too have a '17 2500 on order and also considering putting a Dnyatrac free spin kit on it. I obviously like their product because my current truck (04.5) has their free spin kit on it and has been perfect with no problems. BUT the '17's have the front axle disconnect (CAD). In trying to determine if there is any benefit in putting a free spin kit on a '17, I did much research here.

I found that the consensus of the posts/opinions on here were in favor of NOT going for a free spin kit. While the CAD system on the '17's are not the same as free spin hubs, the CAD system unlocks one side (passenger I believe). The remaining u-joints that spin on the axle do so UNLOADED. So very little wear and friction there. And according to the posts I read on the new trucks with the CAD, the front driveshaft does not turn as well. From what I can tell the only true benefit left is the better wheel bearings the Dynatrac's have, and even at that, the factory unit has no problem in going 100K miles.

#5 ·
That is very dissapointing to me to find that out. I have hated the CAD system since Chrysler started implimenting it on their vehicles back in the early 80's. I can only hope that the new system is electronic and not controlled by Vacuum like the previous systems were. There is nothing more annoying while trying to plow than crawling under the truck to smack the solenoid/clean the vacuum hose so 4wd would lock in. Now knowing that it might not be worth actually installing if that is the case. The only benefit would be as you said, the wheel bearings are easier/cheaper to service. If I can achieve 100,000 miles out of the unitized bearing on the truck then I don't see how the kit would be worth it unless I ran hot shots or used the truck for long hauls as a business.

Would there will be the benefit of backing up trailers in low range with the hubs unlocked?
The only benefit you would get from that would be essentially imitating a 2WD Low situation. Essentially you would get the torque multiplication of 4-Low but with the hubs unlocked only the rear wheels would turn (as would the front drive shaft, ring, pinion and axle shafts). It may come in handy If you're hauling something heavy and had to back up a steep grade and needed the extra torque multiplication so you did not have to slip the clutch as much.

#4 ·
While I do not tow, the benefit you describe is available with a free spin kit.

#9 ·
The only advantage of a free spin kit on a Cad equipped truck is serviceable wheel bearings. You can buy a lot of unit bearings for the price of a free spin kit. If you want a 2 wheel low option BD sells a kit for $149. It installs in less than an hour and is controlled electronically, as is the factory cad system.

#11 ·
WAIT! You cannot run a TrueTrac with the CAD? My other plan besides deciding on the Dynatrac kit was to put in a TrueTrac upfront. This I was planning on, especially since just like the Dynatrac, I have the TrueTrac in my 04.5 and very much wanted to put one in my new "17. Can you explain what the problem would be in doing this? It would be NECESSARY to put in the Dynatrac of I want the Eaton Turetrac upfront?

#17 ·
Fine, no problems. I have looked for posts too. Cannot find any that address putting a TrueTrac in a new Ram that has the CAD.

According to the tech at Eaton the reason there is no listing for a '17 is because they have not physically done it themselves. In cases like that he said Eaton relies on either feedback from customers who actually do it (which is how they have a note on the pre 07 ring and pinion) or from what they can determine from manufacturers specifications. His comment to me was it should work AND if I was to do this to let him know the outcome.

I wished Eaton did list an E-locker, I did not find one. It would be a good alternate.

Odds are I am even older than you (unfortunately lol)..........

#18 ·
I ordered therammaninc.com hubs, still waiting on them, A friend of mine has the dynatrac free spins like your looking at. He says he sleeps better at night now. They improve you mpg a little, also they keep all the front end components from moving all the time for no reason. Mine should ship out friday of this week. The reason I went with the theramman vs dynatrac is price and installation time is about cut in half. But since your 2017 models I see your best option is going to be dynatrac cause the ramman only goes to 2016. To me going back old school seems to be the way for sure.

Reactions: SRich12
#19 ·
Considering that you get close to 100k out the factory unit bearings, the whole setup is really only worth the money if you REALLY NEED to have 2WD lo range. That said, the only free spin kit I would put on my truck is the Dyna Trac kit.

#20 ·
Rhino....even though I currently have a truck with the Dnyatrac's in it (04.5) and completely satisfied with it, I have come to the same conclusion that with the new Ram's CAD it just is not worth it for me. My main focus here now is to find out if I can put an Eaton TrueTrac up front in the new '17. Again my current 04.5 also has this and want to put one in the '17, the truetrac is really great to use in the snow.......

#24 ·
From eatons website. Part number 915A568. Note viii : 07 and newer requires 03-06 ring and pinion. From my experience this is because case flange thickness has changed. I'd call a dealer such as Randy's ring and pinion or any good drivetrain shop to get the scoop. It's entirely possible that an available spacer to move the ring gear further towards the pinion would suffice. Note that the break is 06. Well before the re- emergence of the cad. No locking hubs needed.

#25 ·
JH...I believe the part number you quoted 915A568 is for the REAR axle: From Eaton's app guide

2003 -
AAM
11.5"
30 spline
All
250SL195A (Detroit Locker)
915A568 (TrueTrac)

The only listing for the front is 914A643 which I also have in my 04.5. As you mentioned there is a note to use the 03-06 R&P. But here is a link to the spacer that will avoid that:

MRG925A. The new R&P in the Ram is now the same as GM which uses this same axle. Look at the notes at bottom of the page.

#27 ·
Do you mind posting a link to the E-Locker you mention? I have been looking unsuccessfully for one have, except for the E-locker for the Power Wagon which, as luck has it, requires a lot of modification to the carrier. Thanks.........

#29 ·
the main reason i would get a free spin kit on these newer trucks is strictly for having a very reliable wheel bearing setup. having ur inner and outer wheel bearing roughly 1" apart doesn't leave you with a wide separation to support that weight around turns etc. my old chevy on 40" tires getting the snot beat out of for years with no issues, u sneeze at these unit bearings and they fail....i also wish they would bring back king pins for 1 ton trucks haha one can dream

#30 ·
People say the unit bearings are fragile, but I run 37" tires, jump my truck, pound through the desert at high speeds, and generally drive like a torture tester, and my current unit bearings have over 100k on them. I have seen free spin hub units have bearing failures, anything can fail.

#38 ·
I think it comes with the quality control of the unit bearings. I've had unit bearings last 60k, and I've had them last 20k. And I've always gotten Timkin/SKF bearings in my unit bearings. The tolerancing of the bearing housings in the unit are also a big, yet overlooked factor. How does one know that they have the correct interference fit in their unit? That really determines the forces that the bearing can withstand without failure. Just because they are Timkin or SKF bearings doesn't mean each unit is equal. Once there is a little play, they go quick, and that play tends to develop exponentially. Plus, if there IS a unit bearing failure, you lose your wheel. No way I want that happening on the freeway, or anywhere for that matter. Changing to a free spin kit gave me peace of mind, the ability to use 4 lo in 2WD, no question about differences between unit bearing sets. As well, every truck to this point I've had manual hubs.

Not to say that you can't have good luck with a set, but it seems like the majority of people's bearings fail more quickly, which always could be related to other front end problems as well. If we could all mfg our own unit bearings, then we could be in control of the tolerancing and quality, then the unit wouldn't have to be questioned. But that would not be cost effective.

#31 ·
Finally just getting time to get back to the computer to respond to this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions! I got all of the information I needed on whether or not to make my purchase and after reading everyone's responses I've decided to pass on the kit. I'll save the cash and put it towards something better in the future.

#36 ·
Nice work. I think these free spin kits are the greatest thing. How a truck should come. Don't know what dodge was thinking going with unit bearing and this CAD crap. Oh well. As dodge guys, guess we have to deal with it. To be honest I think Chevy has dodge beat pretty good right now in the 2500-3500 class trucks.

Anyways I'm In the middle of installing a spyntec kit and everything is very high quality.

#37 ·
I think I'd go with the Rammans Ford setup---IF I did it.

#40 ·
The shop I use sees hubs go out as early as 60K with some lasting hundreds of thousand of miles. The '03-'04 years seem to last the longest.
If the owner just jacks the truck up and performs the shake test it should ward off a catastrophic failure.
I got the super deal on mine but it is an expensive upgrade.

#41 ·
Your unit bearings don't just fail without warning, you have to ignore the signs and symptoms of them wearing out to get to a catastrophic failure. You have to do a little PM, and it's easy. Most bearing failures that I have seen are from people not properly packing or repacking bearings, not from surprise unitized bearing failures. Most of the time, if you talk to the person that had a unit bearing fail, they'll think,back and remember some noises that they ignored.

#42 ·
Most of the time, if you talk to the person that had a unit bearing fail, they'll think,back and remember some noises that they ignored.
Exactly how I spotted mine when they started to fail. One day when I was driving in town with the windows down, I heard a little squeak, kinda like a mouse..lol

Then the next day I heard it again...squeak, squeak, squeak...So I pulled it up on the drive, jacked it up and shook the wheel. Sure enough, wheel bearings!

Now, I could have replaced them with OEM, but for some reason I really wanted to do the free spin conversion. Now that it's done and the money is spent, I'm happy I did it. :)

#43 ·
Back to class for me. So if I understand correctly, the advantages of installing Dynatrac free spin hubs are decoupling the wheels to the transfer case ? (Drive shaft, Front diff, Axle U-Joints) correct? I also understand that the wheel bearings can be packed with grease like the old days... Also correct?. Should the need arise for 4WD does one need to get out and lock the hubs? I also read somewhere that it lightens up the steering a bit. Not sure if I was imagining this. Looking to install these but want more forum members opinion on these..... I'm at 117K Miles on original everything up front.

#46 ·
I believe you will like them. I installed a set on the 2007.5 (in my signature) within the first 500 miles and now have over 136K on them.
The steering does indeed feel lighter with the hubs disengaged.
Good luck on your install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.