DynaTrac Free-Spin Hub kit Reviews/Opinions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Alpine93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fredonia NY
Posts: 28
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DynaTrac Free-Spin Hub kit Reviews/Opinions

Hello again everyone, I'm planning on ordering me 17 Ram 2500 here today or tomorrow and cannot wait to be a new truck owner. I have always been a Dodge/Ram guy and this will be my first new truck. The only thing I would change about them is the fact that they run Unitized wheel bearings with no locking hubs. I plan on keeping my truck until it is completely worn down and no longer drive-able, so the savings over time would offset the cost of the kit. I was looking into the DynaTrac Free-Spin hub kit to replace the unitized bearings on the front of my future 2500. I've herd great things about DynaTrac and the fact that everything is American made is a huge plus as well as having less wear and tear on the U-Joints, front axle and drive shaft. I was wondering if anyone has installed their kit on their own truck and wanted to see how they liked it. Thanks in advance guys, heres the kit in question:

https://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-k...aloc-hubs.html

Alpine93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Cummins Nut
 
mjf6175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 311
Thanks: 64
Thanked 71 Times in 52 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine93 View Post
Hello again everyone, I'm planning on ordering me 17 Ram 2500 here today or tomorrow and cannot wait to be a new truck owner. I have always been a Dodge/Ram guy and this will be my first new truck. The only thing I would change about them is the fact that they run Unitized wheel bearings with no locking hubs. I plan on keeping my truck until it is completely worn down and no longer drive-able, so the savings over time would offset the cost of the kit. I was looking into the DynaTrac Free-Spin hub kit to replace the unitized bearings on the front of my future 2500. I've herd great things about DynaTrac and the fact that everything is American made is a huge plus as well as having less wear and tear on the U-Joints, front axle and drive shaft. I was wondering if anyone has installed their kit on their own truck and wanted to see how they liked it. Thanks in advance guys, heres the kit in question:

https://www.dynatrac.com/free-spin-k...aloc-hubs.html
Alpine.....you bring up a very timely question that I am trying to answer as well. I too have a '17 2500 on order and also considering putting a Dnyatrac free spin kit on it. I obviously like their product because my current truck (04.5) has their free spin kit on it and has been perfect with no problems. BUT the '17's have the front axle disconnect (CAD). In trying to determine if there is any benefit in putting a free spin kit on a '17, I did much research here.

I found that the consensus of the posts/opinions on here were in favor of NOT going for a free spin kit. While the CAD system on the '17's are not the same as free spin hubs, the CAD system unlocks one side (passenger I believe). The remaining u-joints that spin on the axle do so UNLOADED. So very little wear and friction there. And according to the posts I read on the new trucks with the CAD, the front driveshaft does not turn as well. From what I can tell the only true benefit left is the better wheel bearings the Dynatrac's have, and even at that, the factory unit has no problem in going 100K miles.

04.5 RegCab; NV5600; SmartyJR; Dynalocs; Detroit TrueTrac front diff.; 3.73 AntiSpin rear; AFE Stg2; Bank High Ram; MBRP duals; H2wheels; Toyo 295x70's; 09 upgrade steering; Thuren S-Stabilizer; HD control Arms; Bilstein 5100's; IPD Rear Sway Bar; Timbrens; 62/65/13ss
mjf6175 is offline  
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Cummins Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Salem, Mo
Posts: 137
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Would there will be the benefit of backing up trailers in low range with the hubs unlocked?

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 Tradesman Auto
07keo02 is offline  
 
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Cummins Nut
 
mjf6175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 311
Thanks: 64
Thanked 71 Times in 52 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07keo02 View Post
Would there will be the benefit of backing up trailers in low range with the hubs unlocked?
While I do not tow, the benefit you describe is available with a free spin kit.

04.5 RegCab; NV5600; SmartyJR; Dynalocs; Detroit TrueTrac front diff.; 3.73 AntiSpin rear; AFE Stg2; Bank High Ram; MBRP duals; H2wheels; Toyo 295x70's; 09 upgrade steering; Thuren S-Stabilizer; HD control Arms; Bilstein 5100's; IPD Rear Sway Bar; Timbrens; 62/65/13ss
mjf6175 is offline  
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Alpine93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fredonia NY
Posts: 28
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6175 View Post
Alpine.....you bring up a very timely question that I am trying to answer as well. I too have a '17 2500 on order and also considering putting a Dnyatrac free spin kit on it. I obviously like their product because my current truck (04.5) has their free spin kit on it and has been perfect with no problems. BUT the '17's have the front axle disconnect (CAD). In trying to determine if there is any benefit in putting a free spin kit on a '17, I did much research here.

I found that the consensus of the posts/opinions on here were in favor of NOT going for a free spin kit. While the CAD system on the '17's are not the same as free spin hubs, the CAD system unlocks one side (passenger I believe). The remaining u-joints that spin on the axle do so UNLOADED. So very little wear and friction there. And according to the posts I read on the new trucks with the CAD, the front driveshaft does not turn as well. From what I can tell the only true benefit left is the better wheel bearings the Dynatrac's have, and even at that, the factory unit has no problem in going 100K miles.
That is very dissapointing to me to find that out. I have hated the CAD system since Chrysler started implimenting it on their vehicles back in the early 80's. I can only hope that the new system is electronic and not controlled by Vacuum like the previous systems were. There is nothing more annoying while trying to plow than crawling under the truck to smack the solenoid/clean the vacuum hose so 4wd would lock in. Now knowing that it might not be worth actually installing if that is the case. The only benefit would be as you said, the wheel bearings are easier/cheaper to service. If I can achieve 100,000 miles out of the unitized bearing on the truck then I don't see how the kit would be worth it unless I ran hot shots or used the truck for long hauls as a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07keo02 View Post
Would there will be the benefit of backing up trailers in low range with the hubs unlocked?
The only benefit you would get from that would be essentially imitating a 2WD Low situation. Essentially you would get the torque multiplication of 4-Low but with the hubs unlocked only the rear wheels would turn (as would the front drive shaft, ring, pinion and axle shafts). It may come in handy If you're hauling something heavy and had to back up a steep grade and needed the extra torque multiplication so you did not have to slip the clutch as much.
Alpine93 is offline  
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Cummins Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Salem, Mo
Posts: 137
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine93 View Post
That is very dissapointing to me to find that out. I have hated the CAD system since Chrysler started implimenting it on their vehicles back in the early 80's. I can only hope that the new system is electronic and not controlled by Vacuum like the previous systems were. There is nothing more annoying while trying to plow than crawling under the truck to smack the solenoid/clean the vacuum hose so 4wd would lock in. Now knowing that it might not be worth actually installing if that is the case. The only benefit would be as you said, the wheel bearings are easier/cheaper to service. If I can achieve 100,000 miles out of the unitized bearing on the truck then I don't see how the kit would be worth it unless I ran hot shots or used the truck for long hauls as a business.



The only benefit you would get from that would be essentially imitating a 2WD Low situation. Essentially you would get the torque multiplication of 4-Low but with the hubs unlocked only the rear wheels would turn (as would the front drive shaft, ring, pinion and axle shafts). It may come in handy If you're hauling something heavy and had to back up a steep grade and needed the extra torque multiplication so you did not have to slip the clutch as much.
Exactly. Ths is especially useful for those with manuals trying to back up a trailer with a dual disk clutch. I had spintech's on my 07 5.9 auto and even then it was handy with the camper.
GNBEAST likes this.

2017 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 Tradesman Auto
07keo02 is offline  
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Cummins Fan
 
Mad Garden Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SLO County / Ca.
Posts: 72
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07keo02 View Post
Would there will be the benefit of backing up trailers in low range with the hubs unlocked?
Its nice being able to move trailers around with my other truck in 2Lo. Not just backing up.

2017 4x4 Laramie Longhorn 2500 CC LB
B&W Turn Over Ball
34' Featherlite Horse N' Carriage Rig
Mad Garden Gnome is offline  
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Cummins Fan
 
Mad Garden Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SLO County / Ca.
Posts: 72
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know if the knock outs on the Longhorn wheels are the correct size for hubs?


2017 4x4 Laramie Longhorn 2500 CC LB
B&W Turn Over Ball
34' Featherlite Horse N' Carriage Rig
Mad Garden Gnome is offline  
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Exeter RI
Posts: 1,680
Thanks: 206
Thanked 346 Times in 272 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
The only advantage of a free spin kit on a Cad equipped truck is serviceable wheel bearings. You can buy a lot of unit bearings for the price of a free spin kit. If you want a 2 wheel low option BD sells a kit for $149. It installs in less than an hour and is controlled electronically, as is the factory cad system.
Jhenderson is offline  
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Diesel Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 861
Thanks: 1,057
Thanked 145 Times in 112 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I think you could run a Truetrac with hubs,but not with the CAD.
BD makes a low range switch to enable LR but it stops the front axle from engaging.

14 2500/68rfe 4X4 CC SWB Tradesman 315/70/18 Toyo MT's
ARE DCU
2500/6 is online now  
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Cummins Nut
 
mjf6175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edison NJ
Posts: 311
Thanks: 64
Thanked 71 Times in 52 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500/6 View Post
I think you could run a Truetrac with hubs,but not with the CAD.
BD makes a low range switch to enable LR but it stops the front axle from engaging.
WAIT! You cannot run a TrueTrac with the CAD? My other plan besides deciding on the Dynatrac kit was to put in a TrueTrac upfront. This I was planning on, especially since just like the Dynatrac, I have the TrueTrac in my 04.5 and very much wanted to put one in my new "17. Can you explain what the problem would be in doing this? It would be NECESSARY to put in the Dynatrac of I want the Eaton Turetrac upfront?

04.5 RegCab; NV5600; SmartyJR; Dynalocs; Detroit TrueTrac front diff.; 3.73 AntiSpin rear; AFE Stg2; Bank High Ram; MBRP duals; H2wheels; Toyo 295x70's; 09 upgrade steering; Thuren S-Stabilizer; HD control Arms; Bilstein 5100's; IPD Rear Sway Bar; Timbrens; 62/65/13ss
mjf6175 is offline  
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Diesel Head
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Exeter RI
Posts: 1,680
Thanks: 206
Thanked 346 Times in 272 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500/6 View Post
I think you could run a Truetrac with hubs,but not with the CAD.
BD makes a low range switch to enable LR but it stops the front axle from engaging.
Beware the man who says " I don't think you can". Better to search " Who has a TruTrac up front?" Talk to the man who does. Nothing beats first hand experience . I don't run one yet, but when I need repairs I'll install one.There' s no reason you can't use a TruTrac with the cad system. I ran one with full time 4 wheel in a 77 GM. Plenty of people do it. If you keep this jumping to conclusions up you'll break your neck.
Jhenderson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhenderson For This Useful Post:
mjf6175 (03-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome