Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Adding Push to Start

11K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  widowmaker 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried or does anyone know if we are able to add the push button start feature on trucks that came with the key fob instead. I see I can buy the button to replace the factory fob on eBay for $18 and I think the push to start is neat. Im asking because I have a G56 and factory option is not available for G56. Thank you

Reactions: GNBEAST
#2 ·
I'm interested in this addition too. Intuitively, I'd think you have to depress both the clutch and brake to create the necessary conditions for it and don't see why this wouldn't be possible in theory. I've searched for this (become accustomed to leaving the keys in my pocket with my other vehicle) but haven't found an answer. Let's revitalize this!

#3 ·
I know the helcat has it so why wouldn't we be able to add this in a RAM

#4 ·
I thought I read a thread the other day where someone said they got it working. Not sure what year model the truck was though. I'll see if I can find it.

#5 ·
Never mind that was keyless entry. Sorry about that.

#7 ·
Thanks for looking into it. I agree with cattech's logic that if it can be implemented on other Mopar manual vehicles, there should be a way. That's the one feature I was disappointed to lose with the manual.

#8 ·
I came across a thread on a Challenger forum detailing the installation of Keyless Go on formerly unequipped manual cars and hopefully a parallel can be drawn in order to activate the feature on our G56s. The real insight starts at post #19 by Firebird2000, who apparently works for the third party supplier of the driver authorization system (e.g. keyless go) found in Mopar vehicles.

Starter button Keyless Go - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Based on what I read, if the passive entry system (PES) is present (as it would be on a Laramie trim G56 Cummins) or added (for lower trim models) with the proper module and antenna/ae, and you purchased the correct key fob and keyless go button, then you'd have all the hardware required. All that would be left would be a reflash to allow the module to complete the loop of communication/ignition when commanded by the button depression. As we initially suspected, you'd have to depress the clutch AND the brake to combine the two sets of starting conditions for it to be operable.

Does anyone else have any input?

#14 ·
It can be done, but I doubt any dealer would do the install, especially at a busy service department. If you catch a dealer on a slow week and that is a big IF they might do it. If anything goes wrong during the install or during the flash, then the foreman's on the hook, because he would decide if a tech would do it or not.

I have been working at dodge dealers for 20 years, shop foremen hate doing non-factory mods and avoid them like the plague. That being said, if you have a dealer that you do regular business with and regular customer, they are more likely do a favor or two. Its just the nature of the business.

#9 ·
@GNBEAST you have some very good info there. I will search around online for the fob and button ignition and try to do more research

#11 ·
I found the ignition and fob required to retrofit. I'm unsure if there is other parts needed or just a programming update. Maybe @Indytruckchampion has some idea or can talk to his service depot. parts I found are 6CK46DX9AB for $80 on eBay and a 56046954AG for $70. I also emailed RAM to see what they have to say and told them I have seen the "push clutch and brake for start" when I was unlocking a 13

#12 ·
I found the ignition and fob required to retrofit. I'm unsure if there is other parts needed or just a programming update. Maybe @Indytruckchampion has some idea or can talk to his service depot. parts I found are 6CK46DX9AB for $80 on eBay and a 56046954AG for $70. I also emailed RAM to see what they have to say and told them I have seen the "push clutch and brake for start" when I was unlocking a 13
Good work. That's interesting about the ignition assembly. I was under the impression that the keyless go unit involved a removable button like I've seen on other vehicles
(e.g. http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior/remote_start_btn_fu931x9ac_01m.jpg), so I wonder if you'd have to replace the entire assembly (not too difficult) or an adapter would work. Also, I'm curious as to what @Indytruckchampion has to say regarding the software aspect. Hopefully he'll chime in.

#15 ·
Just added keyless go to my truck tonight. It's a 2018 2500 diesel with automatic trans. I bought the kit from

RAM Push Start Basic Kit 4: Auto Tech Electronic Having problem starting or turning On your Vehicle

It's basically a company that has figured out a way to pre program the BCM to a set of keys and and add the necessary mopar parts. It's all factory parts and just about all plug and play.

I opted to do the doors at a later date. I added the remote start function as well since it didn't take much extra time.

Reactions: RoOk247 and KBoom
#17 ·
Not much wiring involved. A new BCM that mounts behind the rear drivers side seat, a remote start module. A rear antenna that mounts next to the BCM and a front antenna that mounts below the dash, and a new ignition switch. Wiring is really minimal. I had to run a wire from the hood latch into the cab and replace a wire in one of the connectors in the truck and run a wire from the front antenna to the bcm. The new BCM plugs into the existing harness and the antennas and remote start module plug into that. Total job took about two hours. If I wanted to add the door handles it requires the door handle, antenna for each door and wiring to that door. I'm good with just hitting the button on the remote to get into the truck and then leave the keys in the cup holder and hit the push to start button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.