Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Kenwood DNN992 install with iDatalink Maestro

10K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  zukiman 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed a Kenwood Excelon DNN992 Navigation receiver with Wi-Fi. It uses Garmin as the Navigation system. I used iDatalink Maestro to allow all my settings that were once set through the Uconnect to be displayed and able to be changed on the Kenwood.

My Install Video (Part 1)
UPDATE:: Install Video (Part 2)

I have a factory backup camera and parking sensors and everything was retained. I did not have steering wheel controls but the iDatalink would allow you to use those if you did. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is the phone controls on the steering wheel. Right now they don't work with the Kenwood but the Kenwood gives you a new push to talk button so I don't miss it.

See less See more
#3 ·
So far I like it. There is definitely a learning curve with all the features. The Maestro had it's own learning curve as well but I think I've got it set up and figured out now. The WiFi is pretty cool, still getting used to having my emails read to me.

I noticed that when I hook my old iPhone to the USB it does take a little bit to get up and running but I think I have over 1000 songs and several movies on it. My new phone I don't have as much, maybe around 300, and it is pretty quick. Did you use the OEM USB in the console or are you using the Kenwood USB?

Which model do you have?

#7 ·
Do you have to use a silly microphone or do the ones in the rear view mirror still work with this?

#10 ·
Did you try not plugging in the Kenwood Bluetooth mic and see if the idatalink would default to the OEM mic?

I ordered a front camera for the 992 since the new bumper sits further out and I'm nervous I'll end up tapping someone when I park this monster. I'll check it then if you haven't checked to see if it'd work.

Does your Kenwood have a push to talk button? If not does the one on the steering wheel control the Kenwood? That may give an indication of the Bluetooth mic compatibility without using the Kenwood mic...

#11 ·
The buttons on the steering wheel still activate the factory Uconnect but I think it is because of how I configured the maestro. It will be a couple weeks before I have time to pull it all apart again. The mic that came with Kenwood is actually pretty decent though now that I got it configured.

#12 ·
Hopefully my front camera will be here soon. I work until Tuesday so if it's here I will try and get the camera in Wednesday. I am curious now if the Kenwood mic has to be added or the iDatalink will use the OEM one.

I have noticed that install instructions on newer audio stuff is pretty lacking... I guess the manufacturers want you to have it "professionally installed" Some of the major aftermarket manufacturers will not honor a warranty unless it's installed by a shop. I think this would be easy to fight in court in it ever came up but that probably scares most people into having a "professional" install it.

#13 · (Edited)
So I got the front camera installed this weekend and tested some other things out since I had everything apart. :thumbsup:

I found that the Kenwood Bluetooth speaker and the push to talk buttons are needed to use the Kenwood features. I thought that maybe with the last firmware update that iDatalink did which now allows me to use the phone and speak buttons on the steering wheel, I could go with only the Bluetooth speaker that is in the rear view mirror. But as of now, the aftermarket stuff is still needed. Maybe someday! :confused013:

The sound and clarity of the Kenwood is amazing so it's not that big a deal for me and mounting them where I did doesn't make it obtrusive or visually unappealing.

I went with the Kenwood CMOS-310 camera and after some head scratching got everything to work. It took a hard reset of the head unit to recognize the new camera as a Kenwood which was odd because it would see it as a camera but until the reset I could not use the functions (views, grid lines etc...)

I'm updating my YouTube videos to show the camera install and there are several camera views with it. I forgot to take regular pics but will tonight so please forgive me! :spank:

#15 ·
No problem! It almost became a challenge when Crutchfield told me that the iDatalink stuff wouldn't work. But they will only say it does if they have done it in house so maybe they can watch the videos and see for themselves. :thumbsup:

Here's the camera video... CMOS-310 Front Camera install

#16 ·
Was just looking at one of these units the other day, but wasn't sure about the compatibility with the OEM hardware. I have a '11 2500 Laramie, and it only has the up/down/left/right controls on the front of the steering wheel... Sales rep was trying to sell me on the maestro capabilities too. Is there anything spectacular about the viewable options or is it a separate display for the stuff already visible on the info center?

#20 ·
The new truck settings can be seen in this video

I went with the 992 because I got a crazy deal on it. The dual camera capability and wireless streaming/network capabilities are nice but I wouldn't spend the extra unless you would use those features.

#21 ·
I appreciate the input guys, I'm happy enough with the stock unit for now... It'll give me time to figure out what I really want from a new head unit... Definitely will keep this in mind...

#25 ·
You need 2 components from iDatalink. The Maestro RR and the CH* harness for your year truck. Then it's just a matter of splicing everything together. All the colors match up making it pretty simple to do.

#29 ·
Awesome! I installed a new head unit, speakers, sub and iDatalink steering wheel control module in my GFs Kia and had some issues with the steering wheel control interface. I posted my issue on their forum and they were pretty quick to respond. Although their response didn't work, I updated the Head unit firmware and all was good. They make a good product and have good support. Definitely a company that should be considered if you want to keep all the OEM functions on a new system!

#31 ·
I'm only able to see 2 of my rear tires. I sent an email to idatalink but never got a response. I'm thinking they'd have to do some software revisions and it's probably not cost effective in the long run. I'm not stressing about it. If I need to check my pressure I just check the EVIC.

#33 ·
So, a little update on the Kenwood.... a week ago Friday, after driving to the coast for a week of bluefin tuna fishing, I got back in my truck to load the boat and when I started the truck I got a blank screen on the Kenwood. It would turn on, power up and the screen would light up, but it was blank. I pushed the reset button and still nothing. Once I got back to where I was staying I pulled out some tools, took the dash apart and checked all my connections. Still nothing. Pulled the fuse, disconnected the harness... nothing. So I email Kenwood and they tell me to check everything I just checked and push the reset button which I did again and still nothing.. Now my only option is to send it back for service. Not real happy right now. I went in last night I pulled it out and put the Uconnect back in until it comes back from the service center (if that ever happens)... It has a 2 year warranty and is only a year old but I gotta say that I may be going with an Alpine or Pioneer if it happens again.

Once it was out I removed all the iDatalink stuff and hooked it to power and ground to see if it was an issue with the Maestro and I got the same result...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.