Cummins Diesel Forum banner

BEST headlight upgrade

204K views 179 replies 86 participants last post by  iallaire 
#1 ·
The factory Ram headlights are crap; I'm only speaking for the reflector version. After driving at night for a while my eyes hurt from trying to see down the road. I haven't adjusted them yet but I would guess that they are adjusted at a level stance and not raked (unloaded). What is everyone doing to improve their headlights? I spent a ton of money on Recon projectors and HIDs on a previous truck and although it was 10X better than the Ram lights, I didn't think they were that bright. I'm not looking for lame purple glowing lights either, I just want to be able to the deer about to jump in front of my truck from a long was back while driving at night.

#2 ·
Feel your pain, for me, I'm adding some Rigids tucked into the opening in the bumper. I've shopped/read about bulbs, researched retrofitting. I've decided I'd rather spend my money else on the truck than in the headlights, the Rigids seemed to be the most cost effective with proven results, IMHO.

#4 ·
Can you post some pics of your led installs? I'm trying to decide how it would look on my truck? Are the cubes much different than the bars? I used to have a PIAA led bar and it looked cool but that was about it. It only light up the road right in front of the truck. Waste of money in my opinion.

#5 ·
I got 4500k ddm tuning 55watt on lows and fogs. Have a 30" LED light bar between the hooks. I had 6000k but thought they were too blue. These are more white.

#7 ·
Sub. I've tried some 6k led in my buddies 11 ram, but he still isn't happy with them

#8 ·
My 15 came from the dealer with a level kit. For the first few weeks I was always getting flashed by oncoming traffic. I also thought the lights were just meh. Then I adjusted them (to account for the level kit) and they are much better. Not amazing, but pretty much as good as any other factory lighting I've seen.

#9 ·
You can buy the projectors for the 13+ larmie rams from rock auto for $500 for the pair, you would have to buy bulbs and a harness from the retroshop but you would be much better off than the halagon setup the lower trim level trucks. upgrade the 13+ lights with hid and you will be day and night better! 13 ram 1500 are the cheapest on rock auto and they will work with the harness.

#133 ·
Lost the big helper spring on the back end and it picked the lights up perfect in the front. I am going to get what ever quick easy replacement bulb I can swap in there Advance or Auto zone has but I'm like you i'm fine with the way they are now for the most part.

#12 ·
We found out there is 2 positions for the LED's so we are going to try the second position tonight and see if they shine better

Reactions: ModManiac
#18 ·
Reactions: Jet-A
#19 ·
I put Spyder projectors on my Jeep GC and although the light was better than stock the quality of the plastic was not the same as the OEM light. The clear lens was showing cracks and discoloring after 1 year. I plan on retrofitting my factory lights in the near future.

#23 ·
Is there any "good" off the shelf projectors that replace quad style headlights? from what I have searched no one seems very happy with simple bulb replacements.

#20 ·
I have a 2015 2500 Larime Limited Diesel 4x4. Lights seem ok but I added a 49" curved cree LED light bar in the grill space and connected it to my #1 auxiliary switch. Can we say WHOLY COW! This thing is better than any off road light set I've ever had. Plus I love that I can turn it on whenever I want....yes, I know it's not exactly legal in my nazi state but f@%k em. It turns night into day. I'll try and post a pic. I have one head on but that really doesn't do anything but blind the camera.

Attachments

#22 ·
Turns out when we aim the the bulb the correct way towards the reflector, the LED's work great! best for the money upgrade

#29 ·
They sell model year specific hid kits just for ram trucks yes it came with a harness ect it was the most elaborate hid kit I've ever installed, not too bad took a couple hours, it wasn't cheap but it works and they stand behind their product and their customer service is on point, I had some questions and was on the phone with a tech in 3 minutes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.