Death wobble (I think) - Page 5 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
At 1 degree positive caster and wide tires its gonna juke around on every rut and uneven surface on the road. Even stock didn't like less than 3 degrees and not wander. I usually start at 4 degrees and see if it likes that then back is off to see what happens. I think the suspension is still the same on the 2012 so it should react the same way.

4 degrees positive castor and then back off if needed? Back off to what?

2012 6.7 3" Rough Country Lift 35" BFG KO2' Rough Country Steering Brace and Dual Steering Stabilizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,995 Posts
Sorry, back the caster off until it doesn't drive right. You want just enough caster to have positive handling, ie the truck goes straight on a level road and doesn't want to follow every little imperfection and groove. The more caster you run the more stress is place don the wheel bearings and ball joints.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Tires changed. Toyo open country AT 2. I do feel less vibration going down the road even though they have a little noise they are smoother. I tried to get a death wobble and it was not as bad. It was a really good shake but not a wobble. I think the shocks may be bad. How would I know if they are bad if they are not leaking or anything?

2012 6.7 3" Rough Country Lift 35" BFG KO2' Rough Country Steering Brace and Dual Steering Stabilizer

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 PM
Diesel Head

Simply cannot tell if the shocks are the problem until you change them. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with those shocks as built, for a light gas truck. Regardless of their marketing, most of these lift kit shocks are NOT valved correctly for a diesel truck. That takes a customized shock like Fox or King, or, a cheaper alternative is the Bilstein 5100 or 5160 series shocks, they are valved specifically for the diesels and do a much better job of rebound control.

The 5100 series is a bolt in for a 3" lift and as long as you aren't going for big articulation should work fine. IF you try to drop the axle too far they will hit the stops with a 3" lift and thta will eventually kill them, but, that takes some extreme terrain and jumps to do that.

The 5160's are a remote reservoir shock and work EXCELLENT for rough roads and heavy loads that cause most shocks to be useless once they warm up. Biggest problem aside form valving is the fade when they get hot which they can do on round roads. The 5160's will require a modified lower rise shock tower to work correctly so not exactly a bolt in application.
vintageman76 likes this.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
The Following User Says Thank You to cerberusiam For This Useful Post:
vintageman76 (01-24-2017)
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
Simply cannot tell if the shocks are the problem until you change them. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with those shocks as built, for a light gas truck. Regardless of their marketing, most of these lift kit shocks are NOT valved correctly for a diesel truck. That takes a customized shock like Fox or King, or, a cheaper alternative is the Bilstein 5100 or 5160 series shocks, they are valved specifically for the diesels and do a much better job of rebound control.

The 5100 series is a bolt in for a 3" lift and as long as you aren't going for big articulation should work fine. IF you try to drop the axle too far they will hit the stops with a 3" lift and thta will eventually kill them, but, that takes some extreme terrain and jumps to do that.

The 5160's are a remote reservoir shock and work EXCELLENT for rough roads and heavy loads that cause most shocks to be useless once they warm up. Biggest problem aside form valving is the fade when they get hot which they can do on round roads. The 5160's will require a modified lower rise shock tower to work correctly so not exactly a bolt in application.

If a fox or king which would be the he correct ones? Great info. Thx

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Diesel Head

Not sure, you would have to check with Thuren or Carli to see what they recommend in those shocks, and, if they have a custom shock they like. I KNOW the Bilteins work because I am using them, the others I am not up to speed on.

post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 AM
Paul@CJCOFFROAD.COM

Thanked 1,737 Times in 1,367 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman76 View Post
If a fox or king which would be the he correct ones? Great info. Thx
There are plenty of shocks, including 5160 Bilsteins, that bolt in with no special towers. Give me a call, and I can help you choose something to fit your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, Wheel, and Tuner Needs!
Carli systems free shipping to Canada and U.S.A. Free 2-day air on Carli Ball Joints
424.241.3252 x700

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode