Death wobble (I think) - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Old Newbie

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
A little play in the tie rods, track bar, wheel bearings, or ball joints will NOT cause DW. It sure doesn't do anything to limit it but by itself or all together none of those will cause DW to start. People that tell you that are looking to make money addressing the symptoms not the source, or, they have no clue how the suspension system on these trucks work. If you had enough slack in those parts to cause DW you would be herding it down the road not driving it. Unless it is totally trashed, the dual stabilizer will stop any movement in the tie rods and even BJ's that would start a shimmy. It won't stop the movement in the track bar but that will never be completely gone as it is designed to have some.

Short and simple, DW is uncontrolled rebound that turns in a self sustaining oscillation of the front axle. The axle itself is moving in 3 dimensions at the same time and individual sides are moving almost opposite each other in 2 of the dimensions which perpetuates the oscillation. It is actually bouncing off the stops in all the bushing areas, track bar and control arms, plus compressing the suspension parts beyond what they can damp out; springs, tires, and shocks. Rebound happens in 2 areas; spring\shocks and tires. It either of those 2 areas are soft or incapable of controlling sharp direction changes you WILL have DW, not a matter of IF, a matter of WHEN. EVERY other part in the steering and suspension can be worn past safe and it will NOT go into DW as long as the tires and shocks are capable of controlling the rebound.

Your choice, but, you can find every forum littered with stories of rebuilding every component on advice from the experts and still have issues when they simply cannot believe they super duper special shock or their special expert advice tires are the real problem.
This is the best explanation I've read about the death wobble.

I don't know what model his truck is and if the parts are worn or not. My truck was brand new, I added the large wheels and tires and the problem started then. That's when I added the dual stabilizer. I figure that the dual stabilizer would be his cheapest try at correcting the problem.

2015 BIGHORN RAM 3500 with Leveling Kit & 24"Alcoa Classics with 325/45/24 Pirelli Scorpions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,941 Posts
He already has a dual stabilizer according to his signature. That may or may not be true but he does have it listed.
2015RAM3500 likes this.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Paul@CJCOFFROAD.COM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,290 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
If you can't drive the truck without a stabilizer, you have other problems that need to be addressed. I'm not saying to permanently run the truck without a stabilizer, it's important,but you should be able to run without it and not experience DW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, Wheel, and Tuner Needs!
Carli systems free shipping to Canada and U.S.A.
424.241.3252 x700

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I have a dual stabilizer. And steering box one also.

2012 6.7 3" Rough Country Lift 35" BFG KO2' Rough Country Steering Brace and Dual Steering Stabilizer
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Only DW I ever had was with stock height and BFGs (on a 3rd gen).
Changed tires, even lifted it later with 35s and 37s, never had it happen again.

'12 Ram 2500 CC 6.7/Auto/4wd - AFE drop in, Raceme, EGR Delete, Flo Pro 4" TBE, 17x9 Addicts 285/70/17 Nitto HTs, Reverse Leveled, 5" Iboard Steps
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Death wobble (I think)

I have a set of Toyo open country AT,s coming in for install on Tuesday. Let's pray this works. Took the advice above and went with toyo.

2012 6.7 3" Rough Country Lift 35" BFG KO2' Rough Country Steering Brace and Dual Steering Stabilizer
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

One person above had said that the 35" tires with 17" rims may have been a problem also and that I would be better off with 20" rims. Anyone care to comment on this. Do I need to get different rims before the new tires come in?

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman76 View Post
Death wobble (I think)
FWIW. . .
My lifted 03 Jeep TJ (running BFG’s), Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (running BFG’s), and my bone stock 07 Ford F-250 4x4 occasionally did the death wobble thing in their later years.

My fix?
I rotate the tires. Cures it every time!
Put fronts on the back ‘left to left” and ‘right to right’ (i.e. no silly X pattern), just a straight front to back tire rotation.

However... After a while, with worn tires, just swapping the same tires front to back over & over will not fix it. Eventually getting new tires on the front (or at least 'different' tires on the front) is the only way to stop the wobble.

Case in point:
People will spend thousands on gadgets, gimmicks, and parts to stop the death wobble, but almost never simply put two fresh tires on the front axle.

Keep us posted,
-Ej-
vintageman76 likes this.

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 in Pearl White
Cummins-AISIN, CC, SRW, 6'4" bed, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:45 AM
Paul@CJCOFFROAD.COM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,290 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
One person above had said that the 35" tires with 17" rims may have been a problem also and that I would be better off with 20" rims. Anyone care to comment on this. Do I need to get different rims before the new tires come in?
I have 37" tires on 17" wheels, no DW. I ran 35" tires on 17" wheels, no DW. Most of the trucks I send out of the shop have 17" wheels with 35 or 37" tires, no DW. I'm going to call b.s. on that theory.

Give Us a Call for All Your Suspension, Lighting, Wheel, and Tuner Needs!
Carli systems free shipping to Canada and U.S.A.
424.241.3252 x700

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
One person above had said that the 35" tires with 17" rims may have been a problem also and that I would be better off with 20" rims.
35" BFG on 17" rims is a problem, other GOOD 17" tires are not a problem. The off brand tires may not be as consistent as Toyo, Nitto, or Cooper.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Cummins Fanatic

FWIW...
I run 35" BFG TA-KO2's (the all-terrains) on my 2003 Jeep TJ on 15" rims with no issues.

Well... No issues until those BFG's get near their last 30% of tread life: Then the wobble starts and I rotate em' as a temporary fix.
Eventually I'll put the two best old tires on the rear and buy two new tires for the front.
Then I'm good again for many many miles. (but hey, if you got the cash buy em' 4 at a time!)

. . . Now granted, a lil' TJ doesn't eat BFG's like a 3500 Cummins but you get the idea.

Maybe this outlook will help...
While your searching the globe looking for the "magic fix" for death wobble, throw some fresh tires on the front axle.
They will never go to waste, and it will probably cure the problem (temporarily) thereby giving you time to find the real cause of death wobble.

Then, when you DO find the cure for DW, you can sell it to Ford, FCA, & Toyota and make millions!

Try this 'free' wobble-test:
Get your spare tire and a borrowed spare from a fellow Ram owner. Put the two odd spares on the front of your truck and then take a ride on your favorite stretch of death-wobble road. See it if doesn't cure the problem.
Just saying.
-Ej-

2016 Longhorn 3500 4x4 in Pearl White
Cummins-AISIN, CC, SRW, 6'4" bed, Ride-Rite remote rear air suspension, Edge CTS2, plus the typical after-market bolt-on crap.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
FWIW...
I run 35" BFG TA-KO2's (the all-terrains) on my 2003 Jeep TJ on 15" rims with no issues.

Well... No issues until those BFG's get near their last 30% of tread life: Then the wobble starts and I rotate em' as a temporary fix.
Eventually I'll put the two best old tires on the rear and buy two new tires for the front.
Then I'm good again for many many miles. (but hey, if you got the cash buy em' 4 at a time!)

. . . Now granted, a lil' TJ doesn't eat BFG's like a 3500 Cummins but you get the idea.
What works on a jeep or gasser truck just cause major issues on a truck with 1200+ lbs of engine hanging on top of and in front of the axle, it is a totally different world.

A tire that cannot be used for the last 30% is worthless to begin with. As far as these BFG's go lucky to not have problems with 60% tread left most of the time. Since these diesels eat pretty much any tire on a regular basis buying 2 new ones doesn't cut it as the old are going to get rotated to the front and problems ensue. If the tires are not rotated frequently it destroys the usefulness of the whole set as you have to keep buying rear tires.

Better approach is buy a good tire and rotate frequently to TRY to get some decent mileage from the set. Towing nothing is going to help except the hard HT tires, AT and MT tires suffer drastically one you drop a heavy trailer or weight on them.
Electrojake likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode