Ball joint questions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Ball joint questions

So I had truck taken in for an alignment today and they found a laundry list of problems. I need upper and lower ball joints, drag link and steering damper. Does anyone have reccomendations on what brand of parts I should use. This shop is fairly straight up so I trust them. I will be doing the work myself. My truck is a 2011 3500 cab and chassis single wheel 4x4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Tommy@8Lugtruckgear.com

For Ball joints I would Highly recommend going with either the Carli's or the Dynatracs. Biggest difference in the two, is the Dynatrac have a Teflon liner (plastic) on the inside. So technically they will ware out. When its hard to say, we have customers with over 100k on them with no issues. They also come with a 1 year warranty and are technically rebuildable on the truck. Carli ball joints start out as a chunk of specialty chosen material which is machined to a unique design and then heat treated to a specified rockwell (hardness). From there the ball joints head to an aero-space lube company where a proprietary dry-lube coating is applied to a specified thickness. And they top them off with an accessible zirk fitting for easy servicing, plus they even include a tube of high quality synthetic grease with each ball joint set. As for the steering we have had really good luck with the Mopar steering systems, or if you really beefy set up, you should look at the Synergy Steering systems. Feel free to give us a shout anytime and we can walk you threw some of the items.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Dynatrac
H&S Performance | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe | S&B | BMF Wheels| Air Dog | Amp Steps
TRUCKBOSS Sled Decks | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | Baja Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

888-886-2480
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 PM
krs

Garage
Carli or EMF. I tried the Dyna Trac and had an 1/8" of play within 20000kms. Can't grease the lowers without removing the axle shaft. I called Dynatrac and quizzed them on that and they told me that they can be greased. They could not provide proof. Went with Carli's 3 years ago. tiny bit of play now but still within spec. My next purchased set will be EMF for my 2014. I have had the best luck with the Bilstein 5100 Damper. Tried the 7100 and everyone seemed to pile up. A bit interested in the new Fox dampers available. Probably going to give them a try next time.
I have EMF steering which is the heaviest duty but hard to get and really expensive. EMF Ends are all billet chromoly. They also make track bars which have no rubber.

On a side note EMF is even starting to build 4500 and 5500 steering and chassis components as there is next to nothing for that sector.

15 Ram 5500 CC60" SLT AS69RC 4.88, Brutus Deck, Maxilift 330.4, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator Stack, Toyo
14 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie AS69RC 3.73, Espar, TrailReady Fr FabFours Rr Bumper, Rigid, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator, Fox 2.0, 1-pc DS, Toyo
06 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie 48RE 3.73 Espar, ARB, Kenwood, Miller, BD PAS
14 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW Laramie 68rfe 3.42, RaceMe Tuning with Edge CTS w/ pyro, CCV/EGR/SCR/DPF delete, StrPipe, GoodYear

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:56 PM
krs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowman79 View Post
So I had truck taken in for an alignment today and they found a laundry list of problems. I need upper and lower ball joints, drag link and steering damper. Does anyone have reccomendations on what brand of parts I should use. This shop is fairly straight up so I trust them. I will be doing the work myself. My truck is a 2011 3500 cab and chassis single wheel 4x4.
Check to see if the drag link is part of the 114th recall on the steering linkage issue like completely breaking. Probably get a free alignment afterwards.

15 Ram 5500 CC60" SLT AS69RC 4.88, Brutus Deck, Maxilift 330.4, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator Stack, Toyo
14 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie AS69RC 3.73, Espar, TrailReady Fr FabFours Rr Bumper, Rigid, BD PAS, RaceMe Ultra Twister Resonator, Fox 2.0, 1-pc DS, Toyo
06 Ram 3500 CCLBDRW Laramie 48RE 3.73 Espar, ARB, Kenwood, Miller, BD PAS
14 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW Laramie 68rfe 3.42, RaceMe Tuning with Edge CTS w/ pyro, CCV/EGR/SCR/DPF delete, StrPipe, GoodYear
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

I believe my truck Had the Drag Ling replaced when I bought it. There was a new drag link that still had the part number paperwork attached. I have been driving the truck trying to decide when I want to drop $1000 on parts for good ball joints. I looked at the Carli Ball joints and it looked like they had to clocked properly so that you could grease the lower ball joints, but you had to raise the front end off the ground before greasing them and they had to be greased every 3000 miles.

2011 3500 4x4 cab and chasis with flatbed, Aisin transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode