Any car haulers with a 4500 or 5500 series? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Any car haulers with a 4500 or 5500 series?

I haul horses and sometimes haul a 2 car trailer for my friends with my 2500, but I am interested in getting into car hauling with a 5 car trailer i've been eyeing.

Anywho let me bring it back, my question is, would a brand new 4500 be worth the investment or would sticking to a 3 car/3500 be best? I am thinking in terms of covering my payments, insurances, licensing, and blah ba blah blah blah. LOL.

the 4500's i've seen are running $48,000 to $54,000 brand new. The trailers for a 5 car double deck are running from $35,000 to $43,000. I just don't want to put the family in a whole.

Any knowledge would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Cummins Fan

I know nothing about car hauling, we haul our own product so I have a steady source of work for my trucks and I calculate costs based on that. You need a business plan, plain and simple. Gather all the information with regard to expenses vs projected revenue (be conservative) and develop a plan. If you're unsure take it to an accountant. Once you have a plan (also referred to as a business model) in place you can go out to the shipping companies and see if their rates will support what you need to cover off the business end AND pay you to make a reasonable living.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kah68 For This Useful Post:
AirGrabber (02-03-2016), killoften (03-01-2016)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 PM

My business is different, but you may want to start with used truck/trailer combo. Drive a used 5500 for a year and see if you like it and if you are profitable. If so, then upgrade to a new one. Avoid debt the best you can. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to VetMed For This Useful Post:
killoften (03-01-2016)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah68 View Post
I know nothing about car hauling, we haul our own product so I have a steady source of work for my trucks and I calculate costs based on that. You need a business plan, plain and simple. Gather all the information with regard to expenses vs projected revenue (be conservative) and develop a plan. If you're unsure take it to an accountant. Once you have a plan (also referred to as a business model) in place you can go out to the shipping companies and see if their rates will support what you need to cover off the business end AND pay you to make a reasonable living.
Definitely one of the best pieces of advice I've read.
There are so many factors the come to play when needing a piece of equipment, but most importantly and first is being able to make sure all the expense for that equipment is covered and acceptable profit for you is present. And those expenses just don't end with, in your case a truck and trailer.
Take the time and do exactly as mentioned in the above post.

2013 2500 LBCC Laramie 4x4 G56
2005 3500 4x4 QC 5600 w/ a few xtra parts
72 RoadRunner 440 4spd-70 Challenger 340 4spd
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 AM
Cummins Fan

I haul cars and ltl freight on the back trip for our business to cover the trip and make some side money and I think even a 5500 shouldn't be pulling 5 cars. I see them all the time at auctions picking up cars and on the road but I don't think I would ever do that myself. If you want to do car hauling, don't jump into it. I agree completely with the advice of getting a used set up. Any 3500 with a 3/4 car trailer is great to get started. 4500 would probably be my choice. Anything more I would be looking at a class 6 vehicle like a single axle freightliner m2. If you do long haul it's also a lot easier to get a sleeper on one of those or if it's a four door or extra cab you can have it dot legal sleeper.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_yohn View Post
I haul horses and sometimes haul a 2 car trailer for my friends with my 2500, but I am interested in getting into car hauling with a 5 car trailer i've been eyeing.

Anywho let me bring it back, my question is, would a brand new 4500 be worth the investment or would sticking to a 3 car/3500 be best? I am thinking in terms of covering my payments, insurances, licensing, and blah ba blah blah blah. LOL.

the 4500's i've seen are running $48,000 to $54,000 brand new. The trailers for a 5 car double deck are running from $35,000 to $43,000. I just don't want to put the family in a whole.

I'm pulling a 3-car wedge Take3 trailer with my 3500.
The big problem is getting my rear suspension back up where it belomgs. I am shooting for an AirLift 5000 system very soon.

Ralph M Bohm
2014 White Ram 3500 tradesman 4x2 6-speed Standard 3.73's, Factory 5th Wheel
Born in Saltillo, MX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_yohn View Post

Have you looked the cost of being legal? CDL if not already in possession of one, USDOT MCC, IFTA, and commercial insurance ( which is ridiculous in it's self). those items in combo with new truck and trailer may be worth looking at some used items in good condition.

On a side note as mentioned above, a class 6 rig would be more appropriate and cost less. Freightliner variant of the M2 (106/112) can be had for a 1/3 of the cost of a 4500/5500. You loose out on some of the luxury things but you also have a rig built for the purpose

2010 Deep Water Blue CCLB Dually 4x4, 68rfe 3.73

Last edited by 63boxtop; 02-15-2016 at 03:05 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I pull 6 car with a 5500 we also have 5 big trucks a dually and 2 car trailer and my dad runs a 5500 pulling a 4 car trailer he's been in business 30+ years I've seen tons of ppl go out and buy brand new trucks/trailers and go broke in 6 months because they can't make the payments and a lot of them go in and try to under cut you to get your business but down understand can't haul them if your not making any money .. My advice is buy used
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM

sounds like a business model in combination with a used truck and trailer combo is the best, smarter deal. There's some good replies here. good luck with your decision. Keep us posted with the route you end up taking. Also since your clearly not the only person (im certainly in that lineup) interested in doing hotshot and other types of hauling, if you wouldn't mind, if/when you get a business model done sharing what the numbers you guys came up with for the prospected business venture. It would open a lot of eyes and separate all the hearsay on cost of start up, equipment insurance etc.. Again good luck
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Cummins Fan

I would really like to know what decision on truck and trailer your going with. I have been thinking of putting my 3500 to work myself.

2012 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie 4x4
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Cummins Nut

I just got a 2016 3500 dually, I'm looking at getting a Kaufman 4 car hauler with dual tandem axels. The triple axels eat tires up and cost more for tolls.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Trust me when I say do your homework first. When it comes to being legal uncle sam has his hand in your pocket a lot. I am not trying to discourage you but don't go out and buy all new stuff. From everything I have heard recently the car hauling market is paying very poorly right now. When I decided to do it I bought a 2014 3500 limited just thinking it was buy a truck and trailer get a couple permits and you are good to go. But that is not the case at all. Especially to start out I would try and keep controllable costs as low as possible like the truck and trailer. Insurance is a for new guys they really rake you over the coals. I am not saying I am the most knowledgeable guy on the subject but I have learned some hard lessons. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode