Any car haulers with a 4500 or 5500 series? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
4th Gen Cab & Chassis Discussion of performance, powertrain, and non-powertrain on Cab & Chassis Trucks....NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 04:33 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joespaddy View Post
Trust me when I say do your homework first. When it comes to being legal uncle sam has his hand in your pocket a lot. I am not trying to discourage you but don't go out and buy all new stuff. From everything I have heard recently the car hauling market is paying very poorly right now. When I decided to do it I bought a 2014 3500 limited just thinking it was buy a truck and trailer get a couple permits and you are good to go. But that is not the case at all. Especially to start out I would try and keep controllable costs as low as possible like the truck and trailer. Insurance is a for new guys they really rake you over the coals. I am not saying I am the most knowledgeable guy on the subject but I have learned some hard lessons. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. Good luck.
Like what you wrote.

You'll know I haul cars but the big rig 10 car hauler. I feel for the guys that try and run the 3500s and up.
Rough lifestyle and to me thats the first thing you need to think about.
Where are you going to sleep, bathroom, showers every night, thats your fuel getting to those if your not in route.
Joespaddy hit the nail on the head. Getting legal, tags tax it ain't just a out of the door thing. Are you going to keep your own books or pay a accountant. There is your home time if you keep your own. List goes on and on.
I had 4 trucks. Petes. Had a few toys no time to play with them those trucks were my life. Ran calif back to east coast only all 10 car, car hauler. . Carolina's down never went north of the VA line. Don't get me wrong I made money but my advice is leave the truck at home, and find a real car hauling job. Life turns from you pay to they pay. Nothing but a win win.
Money is fantastic, these companies pay everything, medical, dental, eye, I run a day cab now for Moore out of Toleto OH, in a motel now , motels every night company pays , I just swipe their card, free breakfast every morning 6 figures a year easy. Home every week every two weeks take three days off thats my long weekend. Top of the line eqt, get a new truck every three years or before it hits 500000.

Not saying you guys can make it but its a tough row to hoe. For sure not what you have been use to.
Good luck if you go that route.

2014 DRW 3500 Laramie 4x4 loaded. Asian, 3.73s
2000 ram 3500 "Old Faithful" "SOLD"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Cummins Nut

So I'm doing this with my 3500 and a 3 to 4 car wedge. Usually only haul 3 cars. Gross is average 3k a week. Gone 3 to 4 days, home every weekend. I have a woodhouse sleeper so no motel rooms, and free showers with purchase of fuel at truck stops. I run from Nebraska to Texas once a week. I did longer hauls all over but it'd easier to dispatch on a dedicated route. I do my own dispatching and all my own books.

My best friend does this with me, we run 24 hours a day. I sleep when he drives, he sleeps when I drive. I don't like working for other people.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner197069 View Post
So I'm doing this with my 3500 and a 3 to 4 car wedge. Usually only haul 3 cars. Gross is average 3k a week. Gone 3 to 4 days, home every weekend. I have a woodhouse sleeper so no motel rooms, and free showers with purchase of fuel at truck stops. I run from Nebraska to Texas once a week. I did longer hauls all over but it'd easier to dispatch on a dedicated route. I do my own dispatching and all my own books.

My best friend does this with me, we run 24 hours a day. I sleep when he drives, he sleeps when I drive. I don't like working for other people.

Do me a favor and post some photos of your woodhouse sleeper. Been hauling cars for over 25 years and I think I know what your talking about but i've run the 18 wheelers not a hot shot rig.

And do me a favor if you would explain why you and your friend have to run 24/7 to make one trip a week with only a 800 mile one way delivery run and one trip per week. ?

Ran husband and wife team coast to coast from Carolina to Calif for two years which a contract hauling cars and did it in 4 day turn like you mentioned but thats 5000 miles . Just not sure I understand the running 24 hours in that short a distance. Trying to understand.

You running POV's off Central dispatch or off U-ship or both?

Stick some photos up of your rig. These guys are interested in it the photos you provide might be a deciding factor.
Thanks.

2014 DRW 3500 Laramie 4x4 loaded. Asian, 3.73s
2000 ram 3500 "Old Faithful" "SOLD"

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Cummins Nut

Most of our trips are just over 1000 miles each way. There's this thing call log books and hos that allow you so much time and miles in 1 day. We drive 10 hour shifts and in 10 hours you can get 500 to 600 miles. With one guy you would take 2x as long. We like to make it fast and enjoy some home time. You can look up the woodhouse sleeper on google..

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveaboard74 View Post
Do me a favor and post some photos of your woodhouse sleeper. Been hauling cars for over 25 years and I think I know what your talking about but i've run the 18 wheelers not a hot shot rig.

And do me a favor if you would explain why you and your friend have to run 24/7 to make one trip a week with only a 800 mile one way delivery run and one trip per week. ?

Ran husband and wife team coast to coast from Carolina to Calif for two years which a contract hauling cars and did it in 4 day turn like you mentioned but thats 5000 miles . Just not sure I understand the running 24 hours in that short a distance. Trying to understand.

You running POV's off Central dispatch or off U-ship or both?

Stick some photos up of your rig. These guys are interested in it the photos you provide might be a deciding factor.
Thanks.
I also purchased a woodhouse sleeper that I am trying to sell now. It changes your backseat into legal size birthing area. I am 6'2 and could lay stretched out and not touch either door. With the kit it guts out your rear doors and gives you a platform and a mattress. If I could figure out how to put a picture on here I would show you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode